Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Black Isle Studios Rebirth (Obsidian)

1eyedking

Erudite
For nothing is worse than nothing.
I'd rather have nothing than bad taste.

Zero plus zero is at least still zero. Zero plus negative and you're in the red, you have to put in even more effort to get somewhere positive.

Which is the main reason why you should marry a virgin :smug:

naossano

Cipher
Things work well for them for the moment, but if they move from small to medium develloper, they still have the risk to fail 2-3 games in a row and go back to square one.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Zero plus zero is at least still zero. Zero plus negative and you're in the red, you have to put in even more effort to get somewhere positive.

Who the fuck are you?

Edit: Argentina!? Ohh, I see ...

A user named cat

Who the fuck are you?

Edit: Argentina!? Ohh, I see ...
He's a South American version of Skyway. How he's evaded a dumbfuck or shitposter tag this long is beyond me.

Andnjord

Arcane
I don't envision Obsidian working on a $30mil Skyrim-clone anytime soon.

But of course they should be careful about it because that would be somewhat risky. A good approach might be having your stable safe games (say sequels to PoE for example), and then having other riskier projects somewhat supported by the former.

A top down isometric cRPG is now the safe bet? What a time to be alive.:incline:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I personally think its only a matter of time with POE's success. If enough money is actually around to safely make one Feargus loses more and more ground to oppose MCA/Sawyer/Tim.

I mean each one of them wants to make a turn-based game. Its not like the desire isn't around.

On the other hand, isn't the fact that PoE is apparently selling better than W2 and DOS going to make Feargus even more convinced that real-time is the way to go for all future projects as well, having wider appeal and all?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
emot-iiam.gif

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what I am thinking is that in the immediate future, Obsidian could be sitting on a rather decently sized pile of money, perhaps more than they have ever had, even during the Black Isle days, considering that Fallout 1 and 2 and PS:T never sold that well.

I'd be happy if they can avoid bankruptcy, make a couple of expansions for PoE (with KS support) and make PoE an establish brand. I want Obsidian to play it safe, grow steady and not take any risks. Sure PoE is a success but it's nothing earth shaking and they need to be careful, I don't want to read in a couple of years how company went belly up and that the IP is sold to EA.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what I am thinking is that in the immediate future, Obsidian could be sitting on a rather decently sized pile of money, perhaps more than they have ever had, even during the Black Isle days, considering that Fallout 1 and 2 and PS:T never sold that well.

I'd be happy if they can avoid bankruptcy, make a couple of expansions for PoE (with KS support) and make PoE an establish brand. I want Obsidian to play it safe, grow steady and not take any risks. Sure PoE is a success but it's nothing earth shaking and they need to be careful, I don't want to read in a couple of years how company went belly up and that the IP is sold to EA.

They already have avoided bankruptcy. They're as healthy as they ever been atm.

Mustawd

I personally think its only a matter of time with POE's success. If enough money is actually around to safely make one Feargus loses more and more ground to oppose MCA/Sawyer/Tim.

I mean each one of them wants to make a turn-based game. Its not like the desire isn't around.

On the other hand, isn't the fact that PoE is apparently selling better than W2 and DOS going to make Feargus even more convinced that real-time is the way to go for all future projects as well, having wider appeal and all?

PoE is selling well due to IE nostalgia. Not because it's RTwP. Simply put, the mechanics are not the main driving force of its popularity. You could have made the same argument for turn-based after the XCOM remake came out.

Plus, InXile can already leverage what they've learned with W2's turn based system to refine any future games.

Or at least I hope that's what happens :bounce:

Multi-headed Cow

All I can say is I hope this lasts and we have a Renesaince of crpgs after all these years.

I must savour them. Because who knows, maybe in 5 years CRPGs as we know have been rendered obsolete by hologrammic virtual life dating and awesomesauce simulators. You absolutely never know.

So bring on the money and bring on the success that follow, for at least it will fuel the hate of Codexia and sustain it for yet another decade.

RPG Codex, fight the future~

YZR5Ml9.jpg

imweasel

Black Isle Studios Rebirth (Obsidian)
Sure, once Obsidian finally develops a game that is as good as Icewind Dale and another game that is as good as Fallout.

In before butthurt.

Deleted member 7219

Is it too far stretched to consider that they sold more than W2/DOS because it is made by Obsidian ?

Obsidian definitely has bigger name recognition than inXile and Larian. I'd be surprised if any non-RPGer has even heard of those two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom