Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Black Isle Studios Rebirth (Obsidian)

Obsidian definitely has bigger name recognition than inXile and Larian. I'd be surprised if any non-RPGer has even heard of those two.

I would be surprised if many non-RPGers know about Obsidian. They might subconsciously recognize it from all the loading screens in certain games, but I have a feeling most people associate New Vegas with Bethesda, as sort of a sequel/expansion to Fallout 3, and KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 with Bioware.

buzz

Arcane
It's worse. I personally know people who associate Obsidian with "those fuckers who do cashgrab sequels to good games" :negative:

Rake

Arcane
Obsidian definitely has bigger name recognition than inXile and Larian. I'd be surprised if any non-RPGer has even heard of those two.

I would be surprised if many non-RPGers know about Obsidian. They might subconsciously recognize it from all the loading screens in certain games, but I have a feeling most people associate New Vegas with Bethesda, as sort of a sequel/expansion to Fallout 3, and KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 with Bioware.
Ypou guys live in a bubble. No-Rpger knowing what an Obsidian is? I listen to 16 year olds talk about games in the fitness center i work, most of them don't have a clue who Bioware and Bethesda are.
They know Skyrim as this "cool looking game with dragons that was first in Steam charts", but have no clue about who developed it nor do they care...
Most casuals, are realy...casuals

Ramireza

Savant
It's worse. I personally know people who associate Obsidian with "those fuckers who do cashgrab sequels to good games" :negative:

Thats correct, but the group of people that learned that obsidian is the best RPG Studio out there grows more and more, thanks to Fallout New Vegas, wich have a fair good reputation out there.

BTW :

At "Steamcharts.com" PoE have a peak of 41K players, compared to 21k D:OS had :

http://steamcharts.com/app/291650#All

TBH: I dont realy know how exact these numbers are.

roshan

Arcane
Let Sawyer make a Darklands-like historical RPG!

NcQE04s.png

Or keep him as far away from CRPG design as possible. Only he could have taken an almost perfect formula and totally fucked it up.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Let Sawyer make a Darklands-like historical RPG!

NcQE04s.png

Or keep him as far away from CRPG design as possible. Only he could have taken an almost perfect formula and totally fucked it up.

As long as he's not a writer I'd be good with it. A while ago he did a video response to the question of why there haven't been any RPGs set in medieval Europe, and he deftly evaded the obvious reasons because he's incapable of saying or writing anything politically incorrect. He'd probably view and write the history through a modern social justice lens. Thankfully Warhorse Studios are making a historical game which seems very authentic so far.

Gozma

Arcane
Darklands is a good model to let you do whatever you want, since it's basically, "history through the eyes of people who were there at the time." Read the Malleus Maleficarum, take the guy at face value and make a game out of it. If people are butthurt about it, it's not like you're endorsing 15th century witch hunters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
he deftly evaded the obvious reasons because he's incapable of saying or writing anything politically incorrect. He'd probably view and write the history through a modern social justice lens.

No.

Azeot

Arbiter
I'm no fanboy, but I think people are making shit up about sawyer just for the sake of it at this point. It's like, if you don't shit on him at least a lil' bit you're not with the cool kids.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

:flamesaw:

When you say that you "know" them I hope that doesn't mean they are your friends.

Darklands is a good model to let you do whatever you want, since it's basically, "history through the eyes of people who were there at the time." Read the Malleus Maleficarum, take the guy at face value and make a game out of it. If people are butthurt about it, it's not like you're endorsing 15th century witch hunters.

Yeah, I'm all for more historical realism. It's very odd when you get medieval settings with modern equality sensibilities. I hate it when people are sensitive about having bigotry in their games. If the PC wants to play as a fighting woman (one example of a very rare, but possible anomaly) they should be able to, but with penalties and being met with skepticism at every turn. And then of course you should be able to kill and dismember all the bigots who question you and hang their body parts from a tree.

In medieval Europe, silly stuff such as regarding two parts of the holy trinity as more related to one another could have you burned at the stake. In many places, peasants were little more than property of the noblemen. The bigotry and social problems of that era are all conveniently left out of most modern narratives. IMO it would be far more interesting to navigate a realistic, dangerous and bigoted medieval world than the horribly watered-down version we see most often see today.

Gozma

Arcane
I'd actually kind of like to play a Darklands that knows the Malleus Maleficarum was basically an early post- printing press mass media phenomenon, and witch-hunting was a pop craze

DemonKing

Arcane
I just want the people from WoTC to call them and beg them to start making D&D games again - it's hard work trying to learn another pseudo-D&D system! I just want a game where I can find a +1 Longsword and know intrinsically what that means rather than having to look up a bunch of stuff everytime I find something new.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck D&D. They should improve their system in PoE and make it Turn based. There are still some bollocks but system is good and has future.

Since they decided to do classes instead of classless they should in future introduce kits like in BG2.
Then remove artificial noble,adventurer specializations and do something else like point system in BG2 which should be different from overall progression.
Then introduce more movement options as default for every class.

naossano

Cipher

On their own FB, some people associate them with Bioware padawan, with staff members being ex-bioware members, and having their games overrated just because they are Bioware friends. Most aren't even aware of the Interplay/Black Isle/TroĂŻka thing.

hexer

:necro:

I often wonder what made Black Isle Studios/Troika produce classics with ease,
while you have years later same people at Obsidian/InXile struggling to replicate the glory of their late 90s/early 2000s days.

Is it due to the general state of the market back then and today or due to a burnout related to their age?

Deleted Member 16721

:necro:

I often wonder what made Black Isle Studios/Troika produce classics with ease,
while you have years later same people at Obsidian/InXile struggling to replicate the glory of their late 90s/early 2000s days.

Is it due to the general state of the market back then and today or due to a burnout related to their age?

I think they are making great modern RPGs. Nothing can beat 'your first time' but they do a fine job of chasing the ghosts of yesteryear. Stop hating everything new. :)

hexer

I'm not hating anything, at best I'm neutral towards most of their new games. I'm looking for a new classic though.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm not hating anything, at best I'm neutral towards most of their new games. I'm looking for a new classic though.

Maybe it's the gamer not the game. Just saying.

Do you still get excited about games like you were still a kid? If not you might need to get your mojo back. :P

hexer

Maybe it's the gamer not the game. Just saying.

Do you still get excited about games like you were still a kid? If not you might need to get your mojo back. :P

Sure I still get excited about games .. I might have a gamer's soul.
I have 2000 games on Steam XD

But I'm picky.. my personal "Hall of Fame" consists of only 6 games.
3 of them are from 90s/early 2000s and 3 of them are new, just a few years old.

For some time I thought it was an issue with me, that I've became jaded but then I've discovered there are still devs out there that pour their heart and soul into their games.
That's what I'm looking for, a game with a soul I guess XD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom