Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BLACKROOM, an oldschool FPS from John Romero and Adrian Carmack - Kickstarter cancelled!

Kickstarter is performing rather tepidly, I'm afraid.

Gotta give my two cents on the media released so far:
  1. Teaser video of Romero accepting Carmack's keyboard + mouse is only mildly amusing.
  2. Kickstarter pitch is very mediocre; Romero seems bored and sedated in his speech.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Takeaway:
  • incorporates level design glitches into story, monsters and gameplay (wall-running)
  • there will be strafing, strafe-jumping, strafe-running, circle-strafing and all kinds of strafing
  • strong air control
  • "There will be most definitely XTREME gibbage." "More value to gibbage than in other game."
  • no gameplay because they are in an early stage. "Don't worry there will be gameplay." :retarded:
  • Adrian Carmack is a wallflower. John and his fabulous hair are hogging all the limelight. Adrian has an awkward, embarrased laugh. John is smoother than silk.
  • mouse/keyboard focus
  • Destructible walls: still up in air. All walls are entities that can be manipulated via your thingy.
  • Steam / GOG
  • Level system? They will play around with it.
  • Open design, multiple paths, secret areas.
  • Holographic chainsaw.
  • Speed: high - Romero feels even Quake was slowish. He likes speed.
  • Ferrari stretch goal not included.
  • Impossible geometry will "definitely be there". You can go outside the simulation, seeing procedurally generated stuff that looks like simulation gone bad.
  • No QTEs, although John likes them.
  • Level design: not an open world game, but they are not tiny little levels - you can move quickly, and have the room to do it. The scale is the number one thing to get right. You have to calibrate your whole game around the movement speed / jump length. Complex but basically abstract level design, reuse of space, fun to explore.
  • Superfly: not in the game. :( Dopefish: lives. Cyberdemon: They don't own it.
  • Planned release: December 2018.
  • Health-packs, no health-regen.
  • Weapons, weapon mods and alt fire modes galore.
  • Intentionally high moddability.
  • The "glitch" enemies are procedurally generated, and take many possible shapes. "It is bad news when they show up".
  • Want to make sure things look gud, but what matters is the ability to move really fast through the game, and have very high FPS.
  • Monsters can fight each other. Lots of monsters per level. How many? "Remember classic games? That many."
  • Teleportals and telefrags: "They are awesome, and I love them, and they have to be in there."
  • Checkpoint-based saves.
  • Seems to be universal ammo ("bits"), which you can get by "destroying everything". Bits can be used on weapon mods. If it feels bad, it will be tweaked.
And impressions:
  • Still too vague, but slightly better. Some more promising gameplay ideas.
  • "Holograms" sounds like it has potential, but it can also be used to rationalise any bullshit.
  • Background once more feels like "coolest thing a 15 years old John Romero could imagine", which is par for course.
  • The 'boxel" and the environmental control still seems gravity gun kinda gimmicky - I don't know what its place will be in a really fast-paced FPS.
  • Doesn't seem like a Daikatana-style ego-driven meltdown this time.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holodeck? Hmmm. If I'm gonna shot something I want to shoot something "real"... knowing it was person behind that weapon.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kickstarter is performing rather tepidly, I'm afraid.
They forgot to hype it properly in advance it seems. You need the core fans standing ready with their wallets on day one so that you can get some high-number momentum for your campaign and get noticed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hmmm... hope this is more like Quake and less like Daikatana 2.0.:P

Romero, power on the hair bro, even if you fail, you can't do worse shit than FPS made for gamepads.

Destructible walls have been done as far back as Red Faction.

Too bad that the game isn't horror/evil themed like the original Doom or Quake.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Destructible walls have been done as far back as Red Faction.

Too bad that the game isn't horror/evil themed like the original Doom or Quake.
Bro, I know that. It's still a nice feature to have since most modern shooters ignore it despite the tech being there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Up to this day I'm still playing Doom wads and having a blast. These guys made doom, so they're gonna get my dollar, and I won't give a shit even if the game sucks.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Holy fuck, they need hire a media guy, because the campaign is atrocious. The video pitch is cringeworthy, and the Kickstarter page has like 1.5 paragraphs of text, followed by 200 pages of some social media shit.

Jesus Christ, who planned this out, John's dog?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Just from they said I like it. The cornball concept is fitting, and I like that they talked about environments like castles and haunted mansions--immediately brings to mind levels from Blood or Painkiller. But truth be told I have little to no faith that any developer now days knows how to make an FPS that fundamentally "feels good."

Holy fuck, they need hire a media guy, because the campaign is atrocious. The video pitch is cringeworthy, and the Kickstarter page has like 1.5 paragraphs of text, followed by 200 pages of some social media shit.

I agree with you 100%.

I've seen better pitch videos from my local startup accelerator that caters towards area high school grads.

Not only is John Romero not willing to make you his bitch, he is ready and willing to become your bitch.

Judging how managed Daikatana turned out as well as the other kickstarters he's been involved in i'm not surprised how this one looks like.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Actually this is probably a direct result of having a 'media team' handle the campaign. Have a look at (as just one random example of many) Bloodstained, who entirely outsourced their campaign management and ended up with 90% stretch goal + social media achievements. Sad to say but for every one pleb like us that gets turned off by all that noise there's 3 suckers ready to put money in our stead. I guess I should be grateful since that'll allow me to take a wait-and-see approach.

m_s0

Arcane

I agree with you 100%.

I've seen better pitch videos from my local startup accelerator that caters towards area high school grads.

Not only is John Romero not willing to make you his bitch, he is ready and willing to become your bitch.
The thing is, they have hired a media guy.

A lot of media guys, actually. As listed on the Kickstarter page:

CstLEGG.png

A3qjfwq.png

VOVeR6S.png

SUvMjdL.png

Kind of stunning. What was that saying about cooks, again?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol wtf? All of that shit probably cost at least $25k.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom