Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I played wow for about 5 years straight, since the European launch, with my brother. It was the most fun I ever had in a multi-player game.

Wow at launch was simply awesome, groups actually communicated during dungeons, planning was needed instead of just running ahead and pulling everything, upgrading gear at max level was an accomplishment, it just felt nice and fun to play.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
cope

burning crusade was peak of the gamet

No it was not, TBC was already implementing retarded ideas - flying mounts, outland which was not in same continous world as kalimdor, paladin on horde, shaman on alliance to name a few

gruntar

Augur
I would add arena to list of decline that TBC brought. If arena was just group dueling for fun it would be great, however Blizzard decided to make an esport out of it. Hence they started heavily balancing around it, neutering fun but "OP" abilities and racials, homogenization of classes begun, separate gear for pvp, even more toxic elitism, BGs and WPvP became completely neglected.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
TBC:

All the dungeons were linear and the introduction of heroics was the first step toward muti-level difficulties.
Stunherald and other RNG ruled PvP. Arenas introduction frankly ruined PvP shifting balance from group to 3v3. This began the homogenisation we see today.
Tier tokens
40man -> 10man -> 25man killed shit loads of guilds.
Introduction of flying mounts seriously damaged world pvp.
Daily quests became the standard for rep farming, not nessecary worse than Vanillas farm everything approach but a lot faster and led to daily hubs.
Pvp gear was from arena the only method of decent gear was playing in a sand pit fighting your own faction not the Alliance.
Druids in Arena

thanks no

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PvP balance was never a concern for Blizzard, unless it was something ridiculous like DKs at the start of WotLK. All balancing besides that was done for PvE. Arena couldn't ever be an e-sport because it is ridiculously unbalanced and that's why they removed it from MLG. Arena is even worse on retail now, because Blizz have totally abandoned it. The introduction of heroics was done to extend the life of the admittedly very few dungeons TBC had in comparison to vanilla, even if now they seem like a lot due to Blizzard's continuing decline of their number each expansion.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm glad we are getting 1.12 and not TBC and I hope in future they will not be bringing the expansions because it wouldn't make sense.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Vanilla was good because the development on it started during the 90's, so the developers mindset was still from the era when people knew how to make games.

eMR21Qt.jpg

QaTOwug.jpg

ywDc9w9.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt it will take 2 years. I predict at most they'll release it when the inevitable content drought of the latest expansion comes around. I'm also skeptical it will take even that long, seeing as the audiences of vanilla and retail are different (not that there isn't some overlap) and they should be aware of that. It will only take 2+ years if the integration process with Battle.net proves to be more difficult than anticipated. Who knows, though, this is pure speculation on my part and it may turn out completely differently.

Speaking of different audiences, releasing it in the content drought window will show a bit of insecurity on their part, as if they aren't sure vanilla's release won't take away a big portion of retail players, so they are releasing it when people are going to leave anyway. The other alternative is they might think it will keep players in while the drought is taking place. It is a mystery basically, but this is what makes me think at the farthest they'll release it then. It makes the most sense to exploit that if it takes that long to develop the classic servers.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
$5 says they keep all the retarded features that tanked WoW and put them on the classic servers.

DragoFireheart

$5 says they keep all the retarded features that tanked WoW and put them on the classic servers.
nah, they said already that classic will be 1.12 vanilla patch

I don't trust Blizzard.

Even if they would lie and did that on servers, no one would play then.

I suspect any change they make will not be obvious but they'll sneak them in somehow.

You're probably right now that I think about it but I simply distrust them. WoW is so fucked up, why so many cutscences? Why no World PvP? Why is it so shit?

Revenant

Why is it so shit?
It has always been shit, even in vanilla. Blizzard had a chance to make WoW a proper & true MMO but they decided to imitate Everquest instead (probably not without Activision's coercion), and that decision ruined MMOs for more than a decade.

DragoFireheart

Why is it so shit?
It has always been shit, even in vanilla..

Edgy, in vanilla it was a good diablo 2 clone.

Vanilla was acceptable. Good for what it was.

The decline started shortly after BC was released. WotL finished the decline.

EDIT: I would know. I started shortly before BC was released and finished shortly after wrath came out. The dungeons got his the hardest: linear shit dungeons FML.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Edgy, in vanilla it was a good diablo 2 clone.
But vanilla WoW has pretty much nothing from Diablo 2 in it, unless all you knew from the two games is "they both have RPG elements and are perceived as grindy".
Diablo 2 has an end goal you can achieve by playing solo. WoW's end-game is pretty much entirely tied to group content, be it raids or battlegrounds, and even then, there's no real end goal.
Diablo 2 doesn't force you, at any point, to grind for anything - you can beat the game with self-found items and as a single-pass character, if you have the persistence and skill. It's just that the game's ultimate items are gated behind a sizable wall of loot-grind, but you don't need these items to complete everything there is to see. Even Uber Tristram can be beaten with a build that primarily relies on stuff that drops from the Normal difficulty.
In Diablo 2, an item you find at level 24 can serve you the entire game due to unique properties, especially as you can upgrade weapons and armor through Horadric Cube crafting, so low level items like Bonesnap, Ribcracker or Steeldriver can potentially carry you throughout the entire game. In WoW, you're calculated to be replacing items every few levels, and most new items you receive are improvements in terms of numbers; you'll scarcely find items that may drastically change the way your class plays.
The way Diablo 2's ladder seasons work is completely different from the "seasons" in WoW, which are basically a way to gradually gate content for the players.
Diablo 2 doesn't ever force the tank/healer/damage trifecta - every character is self-sufficient in terms of survival, sustainability, or damage.
Diablo 2 doesn't have Soulbound items, and although Blizzard initially did not support the practice of muling, it is nevertheless possible to transfer items between characters or freely trade them to other players on b.net. In WoW, the only items you can trade or keep for an alt are specifically BoEs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The group finder fucked the party dynamics, the instanced battlegrounds fucked the Pvp, the dungeons went from being something you actually needed to pay attention and communicate pulls and cc to something you ran through as fast as you could for the fucking tokens.

Vanilla wow pre battlegrounds and pre group finder was the best mmo around.

Revenant

WoW was never an MMO (and was also shit). Why? It lacked any "massive" part whatsoever, because everything of relevance happened in instances. And no, world PvP without full loot is not relevant because all it ever did was waste time for players trying to run to the dungeon on a PvP realm.

Paper

Educated
WoW was never an MMO (and was also shit). Why? It lacked any "massive" part whatsoever, because everything of relevance happened in instances. And no, world PvP without full loot is not relevant because all it ever did was waste time for players trying to run to the dungeon on a PvP realm.

Are you a fucking lab rat or something? World PvP was fun unless you needed a piece of cookie dough for every single little action you performed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The "massive" part is a reference to everybody being online at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom