Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I hate retail WoW, I quit during Wotlk or Cata, I don't even remember. What really pissed me off was that you could do all raids in some kind of easy mode, and there was a difficult mode (mythic? or smth). But for me, the incentive was always to "see the content". And if everyone can see it in easy mode, then everyone wins, the challenges don't exist anymore, the game is ruined.
Also dungeon finders and all that crap. People started going into dungeons without saying a single word. And everyone AOEed. I hated it all and quit.

That is also my beef with where the game has gone over the years. I remember a time when doing UBRS in Vanilla, you would need to really coordinate your CC; poly, rogue spec with double sap; it was all important. Now its a literal sprint through the dungeons / AOE fest.

With regards to content, I had no problem knowing I would never see Naxx. Hell, our guild didn't make it past the first boss in AQ40 but we did clear BWL and it felt like an awesome achievement. Now you see it all for free. My only regret is playing all this time to finally defeat Sargeras and meet the Titans in person and it was largely a letdown.

If you're doing mythic+ dungeons at the appropriate level for your gear CC is definitely required.. I've heard that leveling dungeons were re-scaled in legion as well and now require CC. If you're way outgearing/outleveling the dungeons it's an AOE fest but it was like that in vanilla too.

I don't understand how you can be alright with never experiencing the only new, current content that gets put out (raids), and still enjoy playing the game. If you're not raiding you're literally running around doing the most boring lazy fed-ex/'collect 20 spider legs' quests ever conceived while using the most boring combat system ever designed (frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt... drink for 2 minutes... frostboltfrostboltfrostbolt).

Why not just treat the game like EVE at that point? Where most people just read the cool stories about faction wars destroying millions of real dollars worth of shit while not playing the game because actually playing the game blows.

Seriously how the fuck is getting the 300th 'bring me 45 gnoll fingers' quest anyone's idea of fun?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I reconnected with some old WoW friends recently, and we are already planning our characters. It is fun to look back on the goofy PVP videos, the talent trees, and seeing players excitedly talking about wand specs for leveling. If only I had the same amount of time as I did back then.

That is also my beef with where the game has gone over the years. I remember a time when doing UBRS in Vanilla, you would need to really coordinate your CC; poly, rogue spec with double sap; it was all important. Now its a literal sprint through the dungeons / AOE fest.

With regards to content, I had no problem knowing I would never see Naxx. Hell, our guild didn't make it past the first boss in AQ40 but we did clear BWL and it felt like an awesome achievement. Now you see it all for free. My only regret is playing all this time to finally defeat Sargeras and meet the Titans in person and it was largely a letdown.

I remember that problem with WotlK, it was a terrible AoE fest in dungeons. With Cata, however, I was under the impression that the dungeons or first tier were "hard" and so people quit. I barely remember the beginning of Cata, but I do remember some drama with respect to the difficulty.

Also, I think the WotlK AoE fest is less prevalent with the current WoW expansion, due to the fact that some trash packs have more mechanics than boss fights. Current WoW has taken several steps back, but I cannot fault Blizzard for the dungeon encounters. Additionally, you have Mythic+ dungeons, which is probably one of the better features added. There is no automatic dungeon queue, and so you can pick your group and meet outside the instance. You get to see interesting/funny uses of class mechanics, invisibility potions, warlock gateways, kiting, etc. Mythic+ Waycrest Manor and Shrine of the Storm are incredibly entertaining, especially with bad groups that get wrecked on the trash packs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd be playing Orc warrior. Because i like hard mode and horde rules and ally is for faggots.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know which dev played guitar on those songs but this sounds almost like a real band:

Hah, old Blizzard.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Let's check Blizzard now:

DL-k7MkVQAAFk6T.jpg:large

T5_2014_Release.0.jpg

And weep.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
questionable tech choice as being responsible for a smooth test because they aren't going to disable things like sharding/phasing.

They will not, it was not in vanilla, and if they do, people will quit en masse.
Told ya so. :smug:

I know it looks like a series of wild guesses, but I've been right about each prediction regarding Classic. It isn't magic if you understand corporate decision making and software development.

If that tooltip is real, it looks like they aren't even going to bother to restore the original combat calculations. Which means Druid raid tanks confirmed, you heard it here first. :lol:

J1M

Arcane
Ah ok. Cause I read that they've still downsized the overall company by 50% and that the new Diablo game is a total outsourcing. But my point still stands, Activision is killing Blizzard.
I disagree. The cancer is the soyboys/feminists and the PC-culture that they bring with them when they enter the work place.

There was a time when the whole office would play games after work. Half of the people in that photo look like they wouldn't know how to hold a controller or what WASD is.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Well obviously, these SJWs are just seat warmers. But firing half of your company is a sure way to loose the loyalty of your veterans. This was intentional, they purge their studios and replace them with diversity hires who have no talent.
Not like it matters though because the Veterans deserve better treatment, they'll go to industries where they actually get paid for a change. These SJWs don't know the world of hurt they've gotten themselves into.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
questionable tech choice as being responsible for a smooth test because they aren't going to disable things like sharding/phasing.

They will not, it was not in vanilla, and if they do, people will quit en masse.
Told ya so. :smug:

I know it looks like a series of wild guesses, but I've been right about each prediction regarding Classic. It isn't magic if you understand corporate decision making and software development.

If that tooltip is real, it looks like they aren't even going to bother to restore the original combat calculations. Which means Druid raid tanks confirmed, you heard it here first. :lol:
But they are disabling phasing. Keeping sharding in some capacity does make sense - if you weren't there the opening days of retail were kind of a nightmare and there's a reason they tried a bunch of different things to keep players spread out when subsequent expansions came out (except TBC, where they apparently had to re-learn the lesson from launch all over again) until they implemented sharding. So if it keeps the servers from shitting themselves on launch, or from lines forming at quest mobs, I'll take something that varies a bit from the original experience.

The gear stats are less forgivable. If they really are keeping the new stats...goddamn. The stuff they're showing off might not be final. There's a classic panel at blizzcon, right? When is that.

Beastro

Arcane
One thing I do keep wondering is their intent for the future : is this server going to remain in a fixed state, which will make it boring, or are they intent on expanding it which would kind of ruin the entire point of the thing ?

It is a mystery.

If they follow Everquests model it'll be a progression server. That is, it'll follow the development line WoW took and reintroduce things every few months, which for EQ meant releasing a new expansion. After awhile most people drop off, usually around the end of the Classic Era, which is around 4 expacks in.

Daybreak rode a wave of demand of progression servers starting back in 2015 that was originally ad hoc. The first was so popular they made a second server, which depopulated the first, then released a third prog server with a more lengthy, set release schedule without player without a timer starting from the first completion of all previous expack content that was found to make the releases too quick. They then released a fourth server that would have the same schedule as the third, but would stop progression after the four expack released given that it was consider the last part of Classic and many wanted it to stay the same. Finally they released a fifth that was a relaunch of the third.

It's hard to tell what the peak of it all was, but the last server launch was markedly underwhelming given the greater and greater attraction each server got until the fourth. What makes it hard to tell is picking out the RMTers that make better money playing the prog servers through until platinum inflates after Classic, thought there are those who have gotten on board on the later servers that aren't RMTers for various reason.

My old guild got onboard at launch of the first, was fucked like everyone else by the release of the second server, then went to the third until guild drama forced a merger. I kept going with the merged guild alongside many until I quit while others backed away from the game until time and news of the fifth server drew enough attention for the guild to come back together again for the most part and go through Classic again.

It's been awhile since I quit, but both the first two servers are largely fucked. Oddly though, the first has a larger population as it back the more small time raiding server after the horde of players moved to, then left the second a dead skeleton. The third is now leading with a solid population of people who want to play the middling expansions of progression, the fourth reached its limit awhile back and is prolly dead by now left to anyone still set on living in the classic era without progression and the fifth is in the second or so expansion, so still bustling before the fourth expansion population crash arrives.

Daybreak worked themselves into corner releasing the servers like they did. I suspect a lot of their revenue comes from attracting all the RMTers, but since they're only really there for the early rush of expansions, they can only be pleased by releasing new servers, something they can no longer do now that the while progression server fad is now fading out around EQ. The only way I could see them save it all, would be to do a fresh relaunch of EQ from the beginning, but then release old Classic expansions with added content, then release completely new ones after the Classic Era that try to keep in the game what the post-Classic expacks eliminated.

Do keep in mind that the progression servers saved Daybreak Games from going under after SoE was cut off and they were left to rebrand themselves. It meant they were willing to not only take risks, but also to actually listen to the players and meet their demands for Classic servers to attract enough to save their asses. Blizzard has no incentives that way.

I don't know how they'd handle WoW and it's blend of patches and expacks though.

Lol dead after 6 months game

Depends on the release schedule and how fast content is completed.

Blizzard might as well do a Season like Diablo or PoE to keep interest high because after people steamroll the old content some guy have 200 pages step by step guide off, whats left?

If it's as beloved as Everquest, to do it all over again two to four times once WoWs Classic Era is over, which is completion of WotLK, right?

There will be large appeal to complete content in the way old guilds did with guilds racing to be first.

It will be accompanied by arrogant boasts of how important the top guilds are for doing it first with any successive prog server releases being races by the biggest asshole guilds to get to be first on those servers, if EQ's prog servers are anything to judge by.

There's enough of a population kicking around on MMOs that seeking self-imagined prestige from doing this as if it's literally being the first clearing content 18 years ago.

One guild noted on EQ for playing a self-imposed progression regimen on the Test server was one of the dominant guilds on the prog servers, racing on the first server, then dropping it to do it again on the second, then third. Dunno what they did after that but I vaguely recalling them trying to split their guild so one group handled firsts on the first server and firsts on the second for a bit.

Such people are not a new development. This kinda of culture has existed since at least the middle part of the last decade on EQs emu servers with regard to PvP and claims of being the best on a given server. The PvP VZTZ server reached the largest emulator population before P99 attracting such types, which then went on to destroy two of the three iterations of it trying to be dominant guild before quitting once they drove off the rest of the population. They jumped onto P99 while biding their time for Red99, then did the same before leaving for the official progression servers.

Also have fun literally WALKING everywhere for the first 200 hours in game. Holy shit if you don't see your life melting away at that point IDK what can save you

If only that was the case. Besides running to unlock new winriders, what was there? I was the second in my guild to get to 60 and it took little over a week, almost two, by which time I'd accumulated enough cash and faction to afford my first mount.

One of WoWs problems isn't getting around, it's that getting around is too quick and too easy.

An equivalent like the Qeynos to Freeport run, and all the thrills, dangers and pain it brought with it doesn't exist in WoW.

Playing WoW at launch, it was unsettling to see the zeppelin right outside the Undercity that could take you straight to Ogrimmar in a matter of minutes compared to Everquest, where a relocation of leveling spot could take a large chunk out of one day depending on how well it went for you.

I'd be playing Orc warrior. Because i like hard mode and horde rules and ally is for faggots.

Pisses me off that WoW didn't have anything near like a Necromancer at release. I got sick of playing a caster with EQ and wanted a bit of melee, so went Shaman only to discover Blizz's love of fucking with them.

At least the Windstrike bug was fun while it lasted.

The face of the enemy:

It did suck, but for the opposite reasons he describes.

The leveling part is hilarious. What he describes is still roughly a level a day... and that's bad?

It could take months to get a level 50+ in EQ with people with lives. It was annoying, but it was rewarding because the differences between each level could be huge - someone in the low 50s wasn't comparable to someone in the high 50s with 55 being the hell level separating them. Level 60s were unto themselves.

The guy has no concept of delayed gratification and sums up the problem with the MMO player culture that changed and early WoW made the standard. That is, the entire point of playing an MMO is only to "clear content", and if you can't get your content in the right amount of time people rage because it's the only thing they're playing the damn game for.

Adventuring, learning to find neat situations, explore a dungeon for the hell of it, maybe get some exp or loot, or maybe lose a ton of exp and just be happy to recover your body and not rop down a level.

It's weird, but the standard of MMOs only brings to mind one thing, they're built on a consumerist mentality instead of trying to present a MMO version of a tabletop game with your buddies that could go on for years.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
The face of the enemy:

He played in the open beta as a dwarf mage?

Prolly meant Gnome mage.

That last part is fucking sad. The pauses and his voice when he speaks about your friends and guildies not being there.

I quit my old EQ guild in 2003 and didn't look back until they contacted me in 2015 to do the prog servers and hopped back on board with em. Same with embers of Flowers of Happiness still burning currently doing emulator WoW, though I'm too busy now.

That combined with his comments about school. I think the game brings backs bad memories for the dude.

Last edited:

gruntar

Augur
Those modern devs not only are clueless, they simply don't give a fuck. Turns out they rejected an application from Kevin Jordan, a prominent vanilla developer (Staff of Jordan), then they pull stuff like sharding? At least hype is completely dead and we can move on now.

J1M

Arcane
Those modern devs not only are clueless, they simply don't give a fuck. Turns out they rejected an application from Kevin Jordan, a prominent vanilla developer (Staff of Jordan), then they pull stuff like sharding? At least hype is completely dead and we can move on now.

He's not diverse enough. Should dye his hair purple.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
So now private servers will offer a more faithful vanilla experience than official Blizzard servers? What a time to live in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom