Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
do NOT click on any Asmongold video unless you want him infesting your recommended youtube videos bar forever
Yeah, I can confirm that.

282e21f4fab42c6ebb8b000fa14fd09f.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
I got the impression there are several specs that are significantly easier to gear than others for PvP (Elementals apparently only need R10?).
Tier 2.5 + Nefarian mace/Vaelastrasz shield is where it's at. At least that's what I was using back in vanilla.

Parabalus

Arcane
Yeah, I know why they do it, I just didn't like it and didn't do it. It just becomes too much with ZG, Ony and AQ20 resetting every 3 days or so, and you still have to do MC, BWL, AQ40 and eventually Naxx during the week. I had, and still have, limited time to play, and I don't want it consumed only by WoW raids. My point was that it's possible to not no-life it every day and still be very well geared, it just takes a little bit more time due to guild politics.

That's pretty full though, several nights a week raiding. And that's farm status clearing, if you're doing progression (if they retune stuff for 1.12) it's even more.

I got the impression there are several specs that are significantly easier to gear than others for PvP (Elementals apparently only need R10?).

You can get decent gear with R10, but the weapon/trinkets require raiding.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That depends on your guild and how much they require you to attend everything, I was one of the best healers on the server, so they mostly turned a blind eye to the fact I only raid logged once a week. But yeah, otherwise it's quite a lot, I talked about that in the beginning, how the almost daily rotation of raids in vanilla burns you out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, I know why they do it, I just didn't like it and didn't do it. It just becomes too much with ZG, Ony and AQ20 resetting every 3 days or so, and you still have to do MC, BWL, AQ40 and eventually Naxx during the week. I had, and still have, limited time to play, and I don't want it consumed only by WoW raids. My point was that it's possible to not no-life it every day and still be very well geared, it just takes a little bit more time due to guild politics.

Yep... and it's exactly why I won't be doing 40 man raids in Classic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Five mans were always more fun to me. Especially in early TBC when heroics were brutally hard and you had to plan and use crowd control for a lot of pulls. The addition of scaling five man dungeons was one of the few great moves implemented in WoW in recent years but I don't know anyone who plays regularly to make it worth my while to sub for that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, 5-mans were always the best part of WoW, but you quickly outgear them.

Aildrik

Savant
Vanilla WoW dungeons were some of the best in any MMO I have ever played. Just huge and designed with realism in mind. They remind me a lot of Everquest dungeons such as Guk or Sebilis, which had the same sort of design philosophy; they were living places that weren't meant to be on rails or necessarily crawled in any specific direction like the later WoW dungeons.

Absinthe

Arcane
I suspect Windfury was nerfed because of the totem. Enh shaman was never a good spec in vanilla, be it PvP or PvE, it was a one-trick pony that heavily relied on RNG and it had nothing else going for it.
Windfury Totem is definitely strong for horde warriors and rogues, and in 1.4 it gave 2 bonus attacks instead of 1, but I don't think the 1.11 nerf had much to do with that. I think it was mostly related to Unbreakable's PvP video triggering alarm bells at Blizz HQ. They usually spot-nerfed anything that was popular for doing high damage, even if the spec was shitty for PvP overall.

Having the same thoughts myself. Considering you either need to raid or grind premade BGs to get decent gear the hours required are pretty steep
You can also grind the same dungeon over and over and over and over again if you want the rare epics from those, like Ironfoe or Felstriker. Everything takes fucking forever. WoW is a colossal grindfest. It's a fucking chore.

By contrast, here is an elemental shaman, showcasing actual PvP instead of a string of lucky windfury procs:

This guy would've done much better if he'd rolled a Tauren tbh, then he could War Stomp to cast while enemies are stunned.

do NOT click on any Asmongold video unless you want him infesting your recommended youtube videos bar forever
https://myaccount.google.com/ -> Data & personalization -> YouTube search & watch history -> Watch history -> Clear all watch history

Google will still be tracking the videos you watched even when you turn off history, but at least "recommended videos" will no longer be filled with crap related to that one video you clicked on.

Imagine literally spending 20+ minutes running somewhere in a video game.
This is real. It's also the reason why most players will elect to whisper a warlock for a summon or a nearby mage for a portal.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Yeah, 5-mans were always the best part of WoW, but you quickly outgear them.

I had hoped they'd do a reshuffle and release the t0.5 earlier so that they (and dungeons) had some semblance of use. Stuff comes out after AQ and was pretty pointless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
T0.5 was catch-up gear. Along with ZG and AQ20 I might add, even though they had some good epic gear or the potential to get such from quests. A lot of people didn't, and won't, raid, so T0.5 is for them.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Imagine literally spending 20+ minutes running somewhere in a video game.
This is real. It's also the reason why most players will elect to whisper a warlock for a summon or a nearby mage for a portal.
It's also the main reason there's any world PvP and other interactions with other players.

People seem to want them to take the easy road and release TBC/WOTLK, but I'd rather they just add to and improve vanilla. All the flying mounts and "quality of life"(as they like to call it) crap completely ruin the game. Same with making other, smaller zones the focus. Keep the game in Kalimdor and EK.

Lacrymas

Arcane
TBC was the height of the game, though, much more interesting raids, heroics dungeons, arena, useful professions, cool and alien locations, the gameplay wasn't as degenerate as WotLK, a lot of classes got much needed improvements, etc.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
TBC was the peak indeed but I woudl still prefer they go the Classic+ route because it has more potential imo

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Patch 1.13 sounds good. Taking stuff they had planned for vanilla and making it.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
actually now that I think about it true

enjoeyd TBC overall very much but when I think about it my best memories were from styling on nerds on the Isle of Quel Danas where there was no flying

Lacrymas

Arcane
Flying mounts ruined WoW forever so no TBC thanks
The move towards faster gameplay (in a lot of different ways) in WotLK is what ruined WoW forever, not flying. Flying just made the world feel smaller, but eh, you can only feel that when you grind, and I don't. If you say that world PvP was ruined, that's only true on PvP servers, and even then, there wasn't much world PvP in vanilla either way. Only ganking while leveling. If your fondest memories are of ganking people while they are grinding, well, that's your own very specific problem, isn't it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
World PvP was always a joke and mostly consisted of ganking rather than actual, competitive PvP. If anything, battlegrounds killed off meaningful world PvP and those were implemented relatively early in vanilla.

Classic had better designed dungeons but early TBC heroics presented the right degree of difficulty. Similarly, TBC raids were much better, mechanically speaking, than classic. However, TBC five mans (and the zones in general), had exceedingly lazy design and consisted mostly of corridors featuring a single dominant color scheme (hellfire dungeons were red hallways, terrokar dungeons were green hallways, etc.). Wrath heroics (early on), while more forgiving than pre-nerf TBC heroics, presented the best package of challenge and aesthetics/design.

GrainWetski

Arcane
TBC was the height of the game, though, much more interesting raids, heroics dungeons, arena, useful professions, cool and alien locations, the gameplay wasn't as degenerate as WotLK, a lot of classes got much needed improvements, etc.
I don't necessarily disagree(outside of moving to Outlands because fuck that) though I still prefer vanilla because I enjoyed it the most.

The move towards faster gameplay (in a lot of different ways) in WotLK is what ruined WoW forever, not flying. Flying just made the world feel smaller, but eh, you can only feel that when you grind, and I don't. If you say that world PvP was ruined, that's only true on PvP servers, and even then, there wasn't much world PvP in vanilla either way. Only ganking while leveling. If your fondest memories are of ganking people while they are grinding, well, that's your own very specific problem, isn't it.

Not much world PvP in vanilla? Only while levelling? Did you even touch EPL, BRM or Silithus? There used to be corpses upon corpses upon corpses in BRM. Yes, most of it ganking, which I'd rather have than some epeen measuring contest in arenas. Obviously you won't have world PvP on crappy PvE servers.

No reason they can't add arenas, new raids with more involved mechanics, balance classes and other shit to vanilla. Obviously they won't because Blizzard is shit, but that doesn't mean it's not preferrable to just taking the same old steps that lead to WoW becoming pure ass all over again.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wrath heroics (early on), while more forgiving than pre-nerf TBC heroics, presented the best package of challenge and aesthetics/design.

Sorry but WotLK heroics were a fucking joke from the getgo. With everyone getting a strong AoE, threat becoming insignifant due to tanks getting also strong AoE and control abilities and in general mobs scaling incredibly poorly vs. the new ilevel mantra where every upgrade has to be at least 14 ilevel jump and each ilevel is expotentially stronger than the last one made sure that there was nothing in those dungeons worth noting for.

There were 3 things that were "difficult"; Oculus dragons because mongs couldn't adapt to a keyset beyond their class, one fear mob pull at end of the Utgarde Pinnacle if your tank was retarded enough to not pull them into empty room and final boss at Halls of Lightning because some people have difficulties with moving in.

Even pretending that there was anything resembling of challenge in any of WotLK content before Ulduar is just plain delusional. Best example of it is how Naxx, which was supposedly step up from heroics had bosses and mobs doing less damage than they did in Naxx60 vs four to five time higher healthpools. And the dungeons were vastly wimpier. Only physical impairements could explain sense of challenge in about any of the dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom