Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Parabalus

Arcane
One thing that is correct about MMO players that blizzard said is, they actually don't know what they want. MMO players will constantly ask for more convenience and more ways to skip leveling, content, obstacles and challenges then say they don't like the game anymore when they get it and ask for more conveniences as a solution.

Probably because the people who dont like the game anymore and the people who asked for these things in the first place dont belong to the same group of players if you look closer than "plays an MMO"

The people who asked for those things were the players. Naxx40 was seen by <1% of the playerbase, AQ40 by <10%, MC by <30%. Kel'Thuzad was killed by around 100 guilds worldwide before BC.

People widely complained that there was all this content for only the top, that's why each expansion was more accessible.

Cromwell

Arcane
People widely complained that there was all this content for only the top, that's why each expansion was more accessible.

Of course they were players, somebody who didnt play wouldnt complain. I also was a wow player and hated everyone who wanted it easier with a passion because by being hard to achieve be it through time constraints or skill or whatever I always had something to look and work forward to. Changing everything so that every filthy untermensch could see it made it absolutely worthless and uninteresting to me and I imagine to a lot of other players. Just because we never saw original naxx or AQ40 did not mean we wanted it easier. So you cant lump in the raging retards who want casualization with every normal palyer just because both groups didnt raid at the highest levels.

but going by the numbers and the fact that wow is still the mmo with the highest player number I think blizzard followed the right horde of retards and has nothing to complain.

Parabalus

Arcane
WoW probably would have tanked if they didn't give in to the "Quality of Life" mob.

Important to remember that WoW itself was a substantial QoL improvement over contemporary MMOs, and that's a huge part of why it got so popular.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"QoL" is a nebulous term.

WoW is a casual game compared to others in the genre when it came, there is no doubt about that. I think WoW succeeded for reasons other than just QoL though. It also shouldn't be the goal of the game, when the game's aim turned into making things convenient rather than using convenience as a vehicle it turned sour. QoL is what exactly? People use it to refer anything from better interface to making the game simply a lobby for dungeons and raids.

If "QoL" means that the world doesn't matter, leveling is an afterthought, everything is instantly accessible and there is no obstacles whatsoever. Why not play a hack&slash or moba at that point? A MMO is a MMO because it is social and it is a coherent world, not because it has group content like dungeons and raids, the latter is part of it, it might be considered the core experience but if you make the core all, then you no longer even have a core. Core needs to be counterbalanced by the shell and paced out by down time.

Parabalus

Arcane
"QoL" is a nebulous term.

WoW is a casual game compared to others in the genre when it came, there is no doubt about that. I think WoW succeeded for reasons other than just QoL though. It also shouldn't be the goal of the game, when the game's aim turned into making things convenient, rather than using convenience as a vehicle it turned sour. QoL is what exactly? People use it to refer anything from better interface to making the game simply a lobby for dungeons and raids.

I meant is a shorthand / umbrella term for the "casualization" that people deride, like the stuff you described above.

Your assessment that people don't know what they want is spot on.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Important to remember that WoW itself was a substantial QoL improvement over contemporary MMOs

Yeah but those MMOs were "hard" because the devs were trying to fuck the players in the ass. Blizzard's accomplishment was to make WoW feel almost like an actual game compared to contemporary MMOs.

J1M

Arcane
Streamlining things like world and elixir buffs down into just raid flasks is great and an appropriate quality of life improvement.

In the live game they have somehow, for misguided reasons, ended up in a place where they invalidate all previous content with catch up gear in each patch.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
One thing that is correct about MMO players that blizzard said is, they actually don't know what they want. MMO players will constantly ask for more convenience and more ways to skip leveling, content, obstacles and challenges then say they don't like the game anymore when they get it and ask for more conveniences as a solution.

Because they're depressed and what they want lies outside of videogames

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's another perk of playing PvE. Streamers will almost certainly be on PvP servers. Anyway, BFA is on sale with the 8.2 patch kicking off. I might pick it up for $30. I mean... I have $200+ in fake Battle.net balance that I have nothing to spend on other than crappy Blizz products!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've been compiling some info to be ready when it all starts. I'll be playing UD Rogue, so some links are specific to that.

- On August 13 you can reserve up to 3 names.
- Starting from level 1, you can rush https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Gurubashi_Arena, it drops gear that sells for 1-2g, which can help with early game expenses
- /join World is a thing
- Joana's guide: https://www.joanasworld.com/horde-1-12-tirisfal-glades.html
- Taxi times: https://classictinker.com/flight-master/
- Avoid streamers: https://www.avoidstreamers.com/
- Macros guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/c3b97c/with_10_buttons_or_less_your_macros_can_access/
- Gold farming for different classes: https://forum.classicwow.live/topic/656/sinyou-s-comprehensive-classic-wow-gold-guide
- Class guides from pro players (talents, gear, etc): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL1WbawkGdH9yLNB6WBzUj7E4dPu3Sn0S
- Rogue's BIS guide (you can find other classes too): https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/rogue-dps-gear-bis-classic-wow

Addons useful specifically for Classic:
- https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/whats-training
- https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/weaponswingtimer
- https://legacy-wow.com/classic-addons/
- any other links?? would appreciate for addons specifically.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/c5ws2r/worked_for_blizzard_here_is_90/

"Worked for Blizzard, here is 9.0"

Why?

Took the pay cut and instantly started looking for another job. Now that I am set I'm telling everyone everything.

After the conclusion of the final patch of BFA, Horde and Alliance will join as one.

If you desire to play your old characters (BE, NE, Human, Dwarf, Orc, etc) you will log into the Chamber of Heart where you and magni where trapped in stasis for 15 years.

You will be level 30 if you were level 120 in BFA. There is a chart that basically showed what level you would be if you were in X level range.

Max level will be 60 with a full old world revamp with Northrend being planned for one of the major patches.

Cataclysm helped develop many tools that made the revamp much easier. The bigger team helped a great deal as well compared to what was had during Cata.

Every old race will be under one faction now with a majority of cities being destroyed or taken over by the new faction who follow under Xal'atath.

Xal'atath is not who you guys think it is. Its apparently far worse. Literally remember someone explaining that to us. "Soo much worse". Those who follow under her need to discover who they are in the world and what they value.

Alot of the names of characters and the three new races for each faction have been kept hush hush until we get closer to Blizzcon, especially with how low moral was around there.

I dont know which races of the old factions will be able to pick to be on the other side, but at least two will be allowed to switch from what I understand. Personally feel like this is so they dont have to make so many new races for the new faction. Your choices with Sylvanas for example and upcoming alliance 8.3 choices are supposed to hint at this possibility.

All of Northrend and a majority of Kalimdor is taken over by Xal'ataths forces with a little bit of Eastern Kindoms taken. Azeroths forces will have a small part of Kalimdor. Northrend will come later and I assume the Lich King will come into play as well.

Smolderon is not doing so good. Revival of Ragnaros is complete during the 15 years skip. Xal'atath is trying to escape the light and the void. There will be a heavy Elemental, Void, and Death theme in 1-60 leveling in each zone. Everything is like this, some zones will have simple adventures that lead into other zones that have these themes. Classic wow was really looked at and the adventures that people had back then is what inspired a majority of the development.

They are looking at giving a reason for players to play the new faction sooner so that there will be some sort of balance.

Free faction / guild faction changes at the start and a possibility of switching factions to the new one with a quest have been talked about. As far as I know nothing is set in stone yet.

Never seen the team pour more into an expansion as much as they have with this one. 10.0 was delayed more than any other expansion in recent times because so much work has been put into 9.0 that it delayed it. They expect it to last longer than any other expansion and Northrend is supposed to be a mini expansion as well.

J1M

Arcane
Merging the factions is likely. It basically doubles the people available for someone to group with on every server. Creating a new faction with wildly different goals that players can opt into is not.

GreyViper

Prophet
As Horde rogue, you want to make Thorium point your home and welcome every Alliance that decides to AFK there. If you are invested into engineering and feel wicked then, mind control helmet could become useful on the chain leading into MC. Many souls have become possessed and walked into lava cursing their repair bill afterward.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Starting from level 1, you can rush https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Gurubashi_Arena, it drops gear that sells for 1-2g, which can help with early game expenses

:hmmm:

They just can't fucking help themselves, can they.

Having whole gold coins at level one trivializes almost everything about the early leveling. You are supposed to make money by selling gathering materials, which forces you to engage in the economy right away which is also part of the experience.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Starting from level 1, you can rush https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Gurubashi_Arena, it drops gear that sells for 1-2g, which can help with early game expenses

Having whole gold coins at level one trivializes almost everything about the early leveling. You are supposed to make money by selling gathering materials, which forces you to engage in the economy right away which is also part of the experience.

But dont they have phasing as well? I guess the chinese gold farmers will need the initial capital to start screwing with the auction house.

Deep_Gnome

Novice
Naxxramas was very important as a raid in general, it told you who in your guild was actually retarded thanks to Thaddius' fight showing who knows what clockwise is, and who didn't and would end up killing 4 people at once.

Suffice to say, many e-gurlz met their end to Thaddius. Fittingly, Thaddius is lorewise a construct made up of women and children.

I saw this video:

The gist of it: streamer hates being corpse camped by stream snipers, wants for the network of streamers to compile a "blacklist" of stream snipers to avoid doing anything with and to use whatever influence they hold over their devoted fans to push it.

His dream scenario is these stream snipers will be so undesired and avoided they'll tremendously lag behind the gear treadmill and become irrelevant.

But little does he know...

Eviscerate deals "STATIC" DAMAGE.

The Codex needs to be aware of the altruistic, yet crucial work one RichTurpin is doing.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Your memory is failing you grandpa. The income from questing and selling trash loot is enough to buy all of your skill training and a mount without engaging with the auction house while levelling.

Buying a bunch of profession training while levelling could change the equation. But you would be better off holding onto copper and other raw materials until more level 60 players are looking to buy them than selling them to other poor level 30s.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The income from questing isn't enough. Especially if you are playing a gear dependent class, like a warrior. And level 60s are poor too it doesn't matter, price for materials will always plateau at a certain level. Selling a couple stacks of copper or rough stones early on to help you get to the point where you can start grind instances for blue weapons (again, warrior life here) is legit, as long as the price isn't ridiculously low or anything.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder what will be retail's reaction to classic mount costs. Once again Paladins and Warlocks will cause butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom