Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Parabalus

Arcane
The reality of vanilla pve is that hardest part is finding people with gear and persistence. Overall the dps and heal rotations are going to be simple, while tanks and healers have a bit more responsibility to be reactive. PVP wise, casters are fun, priests not much.

SPs are pretty fun in PvP, need healthy amounts of gear though, which is hard to get.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember an class I played having rotations that involved making decisions until Wrath, and I know even that wasn't universal because IIRC there was a MM hunter macro you could just bind to mousewheel and basically fall asleep. But take mages for example, literally the only thing I did in most fights in TBC was spam fireball unless I was the scorch bitch, in which case I had to reup scorch every 30 seconds. In wrath at least I had to pay attention to living bomb and pyro procs.

Doesn't really matter though, the game's still stupid easy in whatever expansion. The hardest part is finding other people who are competent enough at following directions and not standing in fire. I might even be interested in some of blizzard's new raid designs if they hadn't gone out of their way to thoroughly strip every ounce of personality and uniqueness out of the game they possibly could in the name of streamlining and balance.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The reality of vanilla pve is that hardest part is finding people with gear and persistence. Overall the dps and heal rotations are going to be simple, while tanks and healers have a bit more responsibility to be reactive. PVP wise, casters are fun, priests not much.

Melee dps need to learn all the telegraphed attacks and events around mobs and bosses. I never played ranged dps but i think those are the real boring classes for raids.

Absinthe

Arcane
You're not wrong, but I'll take dull over extended downtime warrior has even if you rely on bandages to minimize it.
Relying on bandages is a must. It's just a much faster way to recover health than eating. If you go Herbalism+Alchemy you also get health potions and Troll's Blood buffs (along with rage potions and PvP potions and elixirs). There's also a tactic of hamstring kiting mobs with slow 2Hs to reduce the amount of damage you take so your downtime is lower.

Another knewl thing is that Druids have a world of their own. There's like underground camaraderie between them you don't see with other classes.
IIRC Warlocks have it too. In the early days of WoW they were the only class that could hold a conversation cross-faction, by casting Curse of Tongues on each other and chatting in demonic. Warlocks are also much more likely to put up with a summon request if it's from another Warlock and possibly not even charge money for it. A lot of it was born over commiseration about putting up with summon requests, soul shard farming, and being trash-tier gank bait before the Warlock class got reworked and spell damage became a serious thing. Definitely some coordinated blacklisting happens among Warlocks over deadbeats who get summoned but then run off without paying. The 60 mount quest might have helped too, since the costs are cheaper if you split them with other Warlocks. And I think Warlock quests both Alliance and Horde side had a theme of underground warlock networks.

But the Warlock attitude back then was often this kind of shit: http://www.ropetown.com/shared/warlock101.html

I mained paladin for years, from about patch 1.5/1.6 through WotLK. Anyway, my favourite memory of the class was definitely leveling up in Vanilla:

1: Move up to mob + start auto-attack.
2: Tab out, read news.
3: Tab back in, see if the mob is dead (go to 1) or if I need to heal (go to 4).
4: Heal (go to 2).

I loved the class and imagery. The game play in Vanilla was brutal and I doubt I'd do it again, even if I was playing for free. On top of that, once you hit 60, you'll only get taken in groups if you're healing. And if you want to roll on gear, have fun with people complaining that it could be used better by literally every other class, except healing plate. That's yours. Granted, that's less of a class issue and more of a point that WoW's community was a toxic shithole even back then.
It's a fucking awful way to play, honestly. You're more bystander than player like that. Might as well go watch wallpaper dry. At least you're more likely to get some quality contemplation done that way.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mained paladin for years, from about patch 1.5/1.6 through WotLK. Anyway, my favourite memory of the class was definitely leveling up in Vanilla:

1: Move up to mob + start auto-attack.
2: Tab out, read news.
3: Tab back in, see if the mob is dead (go to 1) or if I need to heal (go to 4).
4: Heal (go to 2).

I loved the class and imagery. The game play in Vanilla was brutal and I doubt I'd do it again, even if I was playing for free. On top of that, once you hit 60, you'll only get taken in groups if you're healing. And if you want to roll on gear, have fun with people complaining that it could be used better by literally every other class, except healing plate. That's yours. Granted, that's less of a class issue and more of a point that WoW's community was a toxic shithole even back then.
It's a fucking awful way to play, honestly. You're more bystander than player like that. Might as well go watch wallpaper dry. At least you're more likely to get some quality contemplation done that way.

I agree, but did you play a paladin back then? Your attack was autoattack. Seals were lost on judgement and judgement spamming would drive you oom. So you ran a seal which lasted for 30 seconds and watched autoattack. Whether you chose to watch your character autoattack or whether you got so bored of it that you decided to tab out and read was up to you, but the class was a completely passive fighter.

Absinthe

Arcane
And that's why the class fucking sucks. Still if you need to mix it up you can try shit like aoe grinding with prot+consecrate or dungeon healing or even dungeon tanking or shit. Really just about anything is better than solo killing mobs if you're going to play a paladin. That grind is horribly slow anyway. To be honest, Paladins suck at basically everything other than buffing. They have the worst DPS, the worst scaling heals, and the worst threat generation for a tank. The only thing they have going for them is being hard to kill, buffs, and having really mana efficient heals. The only reason their class isn't considered total gank bait in world PvP is that they take forever to kill and will probably bubble hearthstone out at the end, denying you a kill.

For all the strange eagerness to go back to vanilla WoW I hear, there was a shitload of things it did horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
A thinking man might assume that it's because the good outweighs the bad. For all the gripes that you may have with vanilla WoW, at least it played and felt like a real MMO. Modern MMOs like BfA and FF14 simply do not provide you with this kind of experience despite their (faulty) genre labeling.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
get H Y P E for F R E S H

the last and final F R E S H of this world, don't miss it

F R E S H

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
For all the strange eagerness to go back to vanilla WoW I hear, there was a shitload of things it did horribly wrong.

Yeah but nobody trusts modern Blizzard to be able to fix anything in it, which is why classic must remain faithful to the original as much as possible.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
i wouldn't mind just a couple of small changes like an increased level cap, new raids, arenas, new continent, new race for each faction, heroic dungeons, but nothing as drastic as flying mounts

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Give them an inch, and in no time they'll make the game just as shit as retail.

Best thing you can hope for is servers for The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, it would not surprise me if blizzard caved to balance whine, especially for non-warrior tanks.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
A thinking man might assume that it's because the good outweighs the bad. For all the gripes that you may have with vanilla WoW, at least it played and felt like a real MMO.

What makes it feel like a real mmo? the part where it's a big boring waste of time?
Nah, that's BfA.

So what makes it feel like an mmo then?
The player interaction.
k

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
A thinking man might assume that it's because the good outweighs the bad. For all the gripes that you may have with vanilla WoW, at least it played and felt like a real MMO.

What makes it feel like a real mmo? the part where it's a big boring waste of time?
Nah, that's BfA.

The player interaction.

Blizzard lost me my casual ass along the way a while back, because WoW became this empty single-player wasteland with most players mining endgame content in instances or whatever-the-fuck. The core of an MMO, to me, is running in a large world alongside other humans, and being able to usably interact with each other. City Of Heroes did this, WoW Classic did this... then everything started straying off the path.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Nah, that's BfA.

The player interaction.

Blizzard lost me my casual ass along the way a while back, because WoW became this empty single-player wasteland with most players mining endgame content in instances or whatever-the-fuck. The core of an MMO, to me, is running in a large world alongside other humans, and being able to usably interact with each other. City Of Heroes did this, WoW Classic did this... then everything started straying off the path.

I still don't understand what part of a 5 man dungeon or 20 man raid or 2-40 man pvp group is single player?

Kiste

Augur
There's a guy named Skarm that apparently has tanked every raid boss on overtuned private servers with some kind of consistency with exception to Maexxna (because of stun+enrage) and maybe a half-dozen others.
Yeah, sure, if you want to spend hours farming https://classic.wowhead.com/item=9449/manual-crowd-pummeler before every raid so you can build enough Threat when tanking a boss, and use every single consumable under the sun, then your Druid tank might be able to do what a Warrior can do with much less effort and more safely.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I still don't understand what part of a 5 man dungeon or 20 man raid or 2-40 man pvp group is single player?

It's not single-player, but it's not Massively Multiplayer, which is the quality I would actually shell a monthly fee for. I want to run around in a world swarming with people. Otherwise I can just play Path Of Exile or someshit.

Kiste

Augur

It's not single-player, but it's not Massively Multiplayer, which is the quality I would actually shell a monthly fee for. I want to run around in a world swarming with people. Otherwise I can just play Path Of Exile or someshit.

We had that before WoW with EverQuest.

"Camp check!" wasn't that great either.

Dungeons felt less like places filled with enemies and bosses and more like train stations with every mob spawn being camped by a group.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom