Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood and Iron

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Blood and Iron

Blood and Iron is a Tactical RPG where you attempt to lead a mercenary company to fame and fortune.

Features:

Tactical and strategic layer
Turn-based
Complex rules
Permanent death
Low fantasy theme
Free software

Inspired by: Mordheim, SSI Gold Box games, WFRP 1st Edition

Pre-Alpha Screenshots

ssl.png

sst.png

ssn.png

ssc.png

Downloads

http://biron.sourceforge.net/

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

oscar

Arcane
:salute:

Being Landsknecht and competing with Swiss pikemen or some such would be cool.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
oscar said:
:salute:

Being Landsknecht and competing with Swiss pikemen or some such would be cool.

It's low fantasy but still fantasy. It won't be based in the real world i.e. there will be no Switzerland in the game world.

laclongquan

Arcane
If it 's mercenary it should be Blood Money. Iron is only important to rulers, not mercenary leaders. As long as the job get done with minimal loss and maximum gains, who care if it's by iron or wood.

MonkeyLancer

Educated
copx said:
- Dark low fantasy theme based on the European Late Middle Ages
- You play the owner of a mercenary company, the characters on the battlefield
are just employees
- Your goal is to make your mercenary company the most famous one in history,
and to complete various special challenges (achievements)

Is it inspired a little by Free Companies,Condottieri and John Hawkwood a little?

Since it is late middle ages, is there cannons and early firearms?

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
mondblut said:
There was a shitty fighting game by that name, sorry. Set in fucking Ravenloft, of all places.

You are wrong, that game was called "Iron & Blood". There is no computer game with the name "Blood and Iron" yet AFAIK.

denizsi

Arcane
What's the criteria of becoming the most famous merc. company?

I think the final objective could be something a little further, like turning your merc. company into a politically autonomous order like Knights Templars, with enough influence to dictate a king/ruler/religious leader of your choice once you have gained supreme favour with your choice of faction, to make the historical mark of your order permanent.

It would be nice to have a mechanic for bids for recruitment from two opposing armies to have your order support either side.

Another extremely nice feature could be to cause wars or rather, sabotage peace efforts with bribery or covert combat missions.

Just imagine, your spymaster reports that X and Y are going to war and you can immediately dispatch recruitment offers to both, measure either side by criteria like their army size, political influence, political connections, lands owned, amount of money they are willing to pay. You can offer or demand changes (bonuses) in either category along with money. Or the spymaster reports that X and Y, currently officially at war, are going to make peace and you can do covert missions yourself or use your influence and wealth to bring other political factions into the picture to sway the peacemaking efforts.

Think of it like research in X-Com. Instead of a one-way research tree, you have a political influence tree that can go both ways. When you negotiate terms for recruitment, you can demand +10 political favour with X line of political factions, simple interactions. Winning or losing a battle could sway any number of these factions in any direction. When you have either the majority of factions or the major power players (determined by total amount of lands owned, landmarks held, goods produced, army sizes, distance from the current subject in question, religious/historical/ethnical offices/influences held) under your influence, you could instate permanent changes in the politics tree.

Ultimately, if you piss too many factions / major power players ie. plummet too much in your political tree, they will come to give you a good buttrape. But of course, first you would need to accumulate enough wealth to buy your own land and build your own castle so that you could defend it should it come to it.

Seemingly complex interactions for varied gameplay through simple mechanics. Perfect game concept for simplicity multiplied.

mondblut

Arcane
copx said:
You are wrong, that game was called "Iron & Blood". There is no computer game with the name "Blood and Iron" yet AFAIK.

Hm, yes, you are right. Still, this is fairly confusing, different order or not.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
MonkeyLancer said:
Is it inspired a little by Free Companies,Condottieri and John Hawkwood a little?

denizsi said:
Wall of text

Not really, as I said this is a tactical RPG, not a strategy game. Tactical RPGs are games like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. Just like in those game the battles will be skirmishes featuring a small number of fighters on a small battlefield. This is by no means meant to be a realistic simulation of real world mercenary companies.

Those Japanese games (don't worry I do NOT intend to copy the angsty teen drama, cartoonish feel of those games) and the tabletop skirmish games from Games Workshop (Mordheim, Inquisitor, Necromunda) are my primary inspiration. The Mordheim rule book is available as a legal free download: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... id=1410470
I expect the game to have a very Mordheimish feel. I am not good at designing game mechanics from scratch, so I intend to copy a lot from that game (which is no problem because the game mechanics themselves aren't subject to copyright).

Since it is late middle ages, is there cannons and early firearms?

Probably no cannons because of the small scale of battles. Early firearms? Maybe.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I removed "based on the European Late Middle Ages" from the theme description because I assume that lead many people to wrongly believe I am aiming for realism here.
I mean, the game will be based on the European Late Middle Ages, but only in the way standard high fantasy games are based on the Early Middle Ages.

That "low fantasy" term might be confusing too because it isn't well known. A "low fantasy" world still contains fantasy elements and may be entirely fictional. But the fantasy elements are less prominent and "tuned down" compared to high fantasy i.e. the world isn't full of magic-users who are basically walking, rechargeable nukes. Vampires don't raise an army of skeletons in seconds and then rapid fire "Dark Bolts of Draining" or something silly like that from their fingertips as if they were (un)living machine guns. There will be vampires though, but more classic Gothic novel like than video game like. Magic items will be rare etc.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
mondblut said:
copx said:

Hm, yes, you are right. Still, this is fairly confusing, different order or not.

No German will think of that obscure fighting game when he reads "Blood and Iron". Yes, that's a cultural reference smelly foreigners might not get, but why should only Russians be allowed to do that?

That means: I like the title and I will stick to it.

denizsi

Arcane
I wasn't assuming realism or large-scale battles as a strategy game either. Just an X-Com/JA2 adaptation with slightly different mechanics for non/inter-combat parts, everything handled in a few menus similar to Deus Vult. And large scale battles happening as local, small scale tactical skirmishes for your men and the big picture outside your direct involvement auto-resolved by various factors.

Title is solid.

7hm

Scholar
Awor Szurkrarz said:
fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

pretty much this.

looking forward to seeing the results.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Any chance to see the famous Von Schenkendorf's strophe in the intro sequence? Maybe in German first, and then morphing slowly into English.

Denn nur Eisen kann uns retten
Uns erlösen kann nur Blut
von der Sünde schweren Ketten,
Von des Bösen Übermut.

mondblut

Arcane
copx said:
No German will think of that obscure fighting game when he reads "Blood and Iron". Yes, that's a cultural reference smelly foreigners might not get, but why should only Russians be allowed to do that?

That means: I like the title and I will stick to it.

Fine, fine, Blut & Eisen it is. Just keep those tiles 24x24, ooookay? :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom