Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood - From the workshop of Kevin Kilstrom, Plus mods/maps/launchers thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Ninja Destroyer, Nov 20, 2014.

1. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Finished Cryptic Passage (the game kept crashing when I killed the final Cerberus, but there's nothing to do after that but press a button so I just watched the ending on youtube). Definitely better than Plasma Pak, some very fun levels and none of them went on long enough to become frustrating.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Cryptic Passage feels more like a big mod, but in a good way.
    There was definitely more heart put in it than in Plasma Pak, though PP wasn't by any means bad.

May we call that "Quake 2 Syndrome"?

Also one of the reasons why some old and forgotten shooters (like Eradicator) didn't play as well as you'd expect from their individual design elements.

^ Top  
  3. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Bloody Pulp Fiction (rescripted)

I was wondering about BPF new version. Did they fixed the issues with some levels. Well, they didn't and it feels like the same thing. On the plus side it takes less time to download it, but I don't really think it's a problem for the most of us.

BPF starts like Nuclear Winter for Duke Nukem 3d. We have nice snowy map with christmas themes scattered all around. The jukebox is playing Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley, there is a big tree not far from it. Another level is too happening during the winter. But later on the creators abandoned it and just went wild with diffrent themes. That's the strongest point of the mod, it always brings something new to the player and it's always challenging. Believe me if I say that you must find almost every drop of ammo you can find. You will constantly fight with enemies and the scarcity of resources. BPF was made for total fans who can shoot dynamite tossed by monks in the mid-air by monks (yes, you can do that. For ultra-pro achievement I recommend flare gun). What's troublesome is that the first episode penultimate map has some sort of a bug, and I couldn't go to the last one. And I had the same situation with the second one (graaah!). Maybe you will have more luck than me.

http://bpf.deathmask.net/

Just take the old version from here.

Some screenshots.

[​IMG]

So cold...

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

That's much better. Time for some christmas shopping!

[​IMG]

Looks like only the bartender is hanging in the bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This map is overwhelming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cultists of the Corn map. If you aren't familiar it's inspired by the film made from the short story of Stephen King.

[​IMG]

Yes, burn you little beast!!!!

[​IMG]

Inside my room.

[​IMG]

Interrupting culticts warming in the forest. Let's make it real warm for them.

[​IMG]

Interesting wall near the cemetery. You can go in, but you can't go out. Only noclip works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are coming to get you Caleb.

[​IMG]

Episode one ends here for me. Nothing you can do here, just drown like a little innocent kitten.

[​IMG]

Episode 2 doesn't have a high difficulty at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another dead end, this time in EP2. I remember having no problem with it in the earlier version. I had taken the dynamite needed to destroy the ice.

In our next episode we will venture to the Rapture city from Bioshock.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Hurpadurp pointless simulationism is pointless and serves no purpose herp derp.

Sorry, wrong account.
    :oops:

^ Top  
  5. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    French Meat
    [​IMG]
    8-map episode made between 2008 and 2012. Episode starts with a rather simplistic graveyard map that has all the hallmarks of someone's first foray into mapping. Following maps will take you through cultist-infested towns, woods, factories, airports and such. Early maps suffer from some visual glitches and general lack of visual polish that is to be expected of newbie mapper (altho second map is already significantly more complex fare than the first one), as one progresses through the episode visuals become more polished, architecture and detailing become better and better (none of the maps is what I would call visually impressive tho). Biggest flaw of some maps is that they tend to go on for way too long, which would be less of a flaw if the environments were more interesting, both thematically and visually.
    Difficulty is alright-ish, this episode is neither too hard nor too easy. Notable encounters: Cerberus in map 4, thrice accursed Spider Mommy in map 7. Map 8 is standard extended boss arena.
    I'd say this stuff is more or less worth playing. There is nothing exceptionally good nor memorable here, but also nothing really bad. Author apparently plans to do a re-release, with improvements to existing maps and additions of new maps and an opening cut-scene.

Screenshots!
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This particular map was kinda interesting. You start in this snowy graveyard, then proceed to this oppressive factory/office complex filled with torture devices and such, which I like to think is a fair representation of Shadow of Mordor-era Monolith's office spaces. Could have been better if map was shorter and less visually bland.
    [​IMG]
    Nope. Not making that kebab-related joke. Screw you.
    [​IMG]
    Now this, this is one of arguably tasteless secrets from the airport map. Author apparently really liked this joke, since following map is set on a airplane kidnapped by cultists. 'Tis even called "Cabalcaida 666 Airline".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So very French.
    [​IMG]
    Awwwww, monster love :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  7. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Somewhere Under the Sea

This time we have a quick 3 levels connected with each other. "Somewhere..." is a interpretation of Bioshock mixed with typical Blood elements. It's nicely done, has some interesting scripting elements and really really creates a sinister atmosphere during this quick run. What I've found bad was the balance of the levels, which was horrible during the last parts. You'll see what I mean just by looking on screenshots. I hope the guy who made it will make more just to make one episode at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They really mean it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheew, that was hard, I hope there is no mo...

[​IMG]

:rage:

[​IMG]

:neveraskedforthis:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Hey Ninja Destroyer, is there a widescreen mod for Blood that you'd recommend? Ideally one that doesn't stretch GUI elements. Also, any texture replacing mods that don't rape the art style? I know, I know, I'm asking a lot.

^ Top  
  9. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just grabbed the GoG version, I'm gonna install the One Unit Whole Blood thingie now. Hopefully I won't experience the motion sickness I got from playing D3D on a bigger/modern monitor.

^ Top  
  10. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Ravenloft 1-3

Series of three connected maps based on old Ravenloft RPGs.
    First map is set within a cultist-infested village and surrounding woods. 'Tis rather large, surprisingly so, but it is also pretty well made, fun to explore and has some nice sights. Also, it's a bit on the hard side. Will be enjoyed by those who like their maps exploration-heavy, and don't mind some key hunting.
    Second map is set outside this huge, rather impressive-looking castle. Shorter and easier that the first one. It suffers from some unfortunately placed invisible walls that sadly limit player's movement over the castle roofs. Still, pretty impressive stuff.
    Final map is set within the said castle, as well as basement, crypt and caverns that lie bellow it. Pretty decent finale.
    All in all, this is some really enjoyable stuff. Definitely worth playing.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    We're probably going to play some BloodBath later today, let me know if -you- want to join us for some casual deathmatch fun.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    ^ Top  
  12. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Where are you going to get the most recent package, out of the "best maps" compilation here: http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/blood-addons/ ?

^ Top  
  13. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    I played the version that comes packed with this frontend:
    http://forums.duke4.net/topic/1278-blood-dosbox-launcher-for-xp-and-vista/
    By the way, i'd say that launcher is at this point a better choice that the one mentioned on the earlier pages: It has been updated as recently as April this year, it comes packed with some more recent add-ons (such as fantastic Death Wish campaign). Also, unlike with old Blood launcher, 'tis possible and actually quite easy to add new add-ons that can be run from the frontend's menu.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    jesus christ, 1.5 gb? the game is like 200 mb. I guess that's the add-ons?

^ Top  
  15. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Very old, but interesting interview with Nick Newhard, the designer and lead programmer of Blood.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/900/vcg-interview-nick-newhard-on-monoliths-blood

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Blood: Alone in the Dark 2 is not a map. Nay, it is in fact a large, extremely elaborate torture device!
    Just needed to vent a little 'bout that. I actually played though New Alone in the Dark and BAITD3 demo map recently, and they were pretty sweet (well, minus that ridiculous final encounter from NAITD). Second map from New Alone in the Dark is actually fucking majestic, 'tis a great tribute to vintage survival horror creepy mansions and it feels almost like a refined, sane version of BAITD2.
    BAITD2 tho, holly shite if that wasn't the single most frustrating Blood map I had a pleasure to play.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    It actually shows in game and suits it better than if the game started out as lulzfest.
    Blood is fairly unique mix of genuinely dark atmosphere and morbid humour consisting largely of popculture references.

:salute: :obviously:

^ Top  
  18. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
  19. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I loved this game, it was the best one in MP at the time when compared to Doom or Duke Nukem 3d.

^ Top  
  20. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Yeah and there was another game just called "Doom", I wonder if they remember that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    You could at least post the rest:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    I don't know if I would call Build engine FPS-es doom clones anymore. They've added more to the formula, and naming them clones is a bit unfair. The same goes for earlier System Shock which was called sometimes a Doom clone. It was simpler for the reader to comprehend what the game was about. Although putting everything into one basket was IMO dumb. I won't sperg about it. After Quake ironically there were no more "Quake clones" naming of the other titles in the local press. But during the releases of both parts of Doom it was like everywhere. Even the Amiga games had that label.

I don't know about Caleb being a vampire. He's more like an anti-hero pulp fiction character with the gunslinger leitmotiv. We could just pretend he is, since he uses life essence (hearts) to heal himself.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)