Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood - From the workshop of Kevin Kilstrom, Plus mods/maps/launchers thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Ninja Destroyer, Nov 20, 2014.

1. pippin Guest

pippin
    That actually looks more like a Duke Nukem themed Wolfenstein 3D mod.

Oh man :prosper:

^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I'm guessing this is from the same guy who had that pimped out 286.

Tell him to try playing Ultima 8 on that 386. It'll be like a slide show.

^ Top  
  3. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    The official Blood website is was is pretty cool, I particularly like the Bestiary and Screamshot sections.

^ Top  
  4. tormund Arcane

tormund
    http://xlengine.com/xl-engine-update-3/
    Looks like new major release of XL engine is coming closer, believe it or not. And it looks like Shadow Warrior will be fully playable before his work with Blood is done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "When, in previous updates, I mentioned matching up Blood code with the Build code – I already had this working in the engine. In fact Shadow Warrior is 100% playable, including sound, music, controls, memory management and so on in the engine and has been for a month or two."

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    http://www.moddb.com/games/bloodcm/downloads/bloodcm-v022016

New version of BloodCM has finally all the original 4 episodes, but after playing two levels I can say that it needs a lot of polishing, and the constant graphic glitches don't help either.

Soon we will have a proper source port for Blood.

[​IMG]

Soon...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Capital! My grandchildren will, perhaps, be able to experience Death Wish in glorious HD resolushuns. There is yet some hope left for Man.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. tormund Arcane

tormund
    You can eliminate decent number of glitches by switching to classic renderer. It won't be perfect even then TBH, so far he has been mostly focused on finishing all maps instead of polishing existing ones.
    But still, even back when I went trough E1 and E2 in old BloodCM, it was better recreation of original game in eDuke than eRampage was for Redneck Rampage.

It will be interesting to see what will come first, BloodCM with the expansions, or XL Engine release with 100% playable Blood...

^ Top  
  8. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    It's like that thing Cleve was talking about

On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 Pedro Colman-Arrellaga wrote:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  9. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    I had Blood 2 from a PC magazine but never managed to play it due to the game crashing when launched. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

^ Top  
  11. tormund Arcane

tormund
    You have no idea... I have been attempting to replay it ever since I bought it on last year Halloween steam sale. First with a latest Extra Crispy mod, then with the older version because author is batshit crazy and he increased enemy counts 3-5 times in the latest version (while he reduced number of dropped hearts). Author's reasoning for that on the Transfusion forums thread was:
    :retarded:

And even with the improved weapons from older Extra Crispy, this game is still trash... One of the most unbalanced and annoying major 90s shooters, with some of the ugliest and most boring levels ever. There is a special part of hell custom built for Blood 2 apologists...

^ Top  
  12. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Unreal 2 or Blood 2, which is worse and why ?

Two great predecessors and so much fail in the sequels.

:x

Now let's read the review of the Blood by Cleve.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991012053343/http://geocities.com/~frpg-grimoire/BludTrib.html

:obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Cleve's taste is fucking flawless.
    "The Haunting" and "Overlooked Hotel" are me favorite Blood maps. Used to get lost in them back in the day, but I fucking loved them more and more with each replay. Fantastic atmosphere, non-linear design and ridiculously rewarding exploration (see how much better "Overlooked Hotel" becomes once one discovers its network of secret passages).

^ Top  
  14. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    That's the one I've been using for quite some time now. Cool thing about it is that one can easily add additional maps & episodes that can be launched through the launcher's menu, something that isn't possible with nanoaugur launcher.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I played Blood 2 to its entirety.
    It was one of the worse FPS games I've played, holy shit.
    Unreal 2 was mediocre, and it didn't feel as jank.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I... uhh... fuck, no.
    Even trying to ponder which one might possibly be better than the other feels wrong and disturbing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Now for something more optimistic. I've finished Inherit The Earth mini-campaign. Eleven normal levels plus two slaughterfest like maps for those who are stubborn enough to find the secret code for it. The modder Bloatoid made it way before his Death Wish opus magnum. He says that maps were made in different time intervals, which sometimes shows in the quality. Which is overall not bad actually, and shows his potential during the early days.

There are some new maps built from the scrap and modified, like the Phantom Train which you can see just below. Vanilla levels with the destruction of the locomotive was really easy compared to that one. Why ? Because after pulling the switch you need to RUN to the end like crazy. Somehow I felt it coming, since there was no buttons or space to pull the "end of the level" stone. I admit that I failed a couple of times, but it was so fun. There are new sounds, unusual use of build engine scripts and while there are some minor bugs here and there, I've finished it without any problems. Plus the AI of stone gargoyles sometimes behaves strange (not that I complain).

Other than that it was smooth experience. The three main episodes are interconnected and you will start them at the same place as you ended the earlier one. Shame that we didn't get at least 20 maps.

Hint: Conserve ammo in episode 3 for the confrontation with our favourite Tchernobog. I hope you are good with dynamite because you'll be tossing it on him like crazy.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  20. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Gonna have to play Inhert The Earth then!

^ Top  
  21. tormund Arcane

tormund
    To be fair, that is a personal interpretation coming from someone that admitted how story and cutscenes are nothing to write home about (he even downright recommends avoiding the cutscenes).
    I like his take on Caleb. And you must at least agree that, from his one liners, he seems to be far more refined than Duke or Wang.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    I was actually referring to the "spare the civilians" part, but I see your point.

I disagree with him on one point, though: Caleb is an anti-hero.

^ Top  
  23. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Ya had to do it in the base game too. I do remember that you had to kill a civilian in order to get a key he drops early on in that sort of aquarium-themed map. I don't recall exact name of the map right now.

^ Top  
  24. tormund Arcane

tormund
    ^You thought of Breeding Grounds, right?

BTW, I generally avoid killing them unless I have to, or if I I'm really short on health and I really need that potential life essence. And I can't help it if they run into my fire or explosion during the firefight.
    I think that even a choice of voice and cries was meant to make players regret killing them instead of being amused by it.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)