Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
Elwro , Arcane is also good to capitalize on enemies' weaknesses. Just get different gems and weapons and swap them accordingly: fire(+serrated) for beasts, bolt(+pointy) for aliens, magic for pthumerians.

And I just saw Slay the Spire will receive the 4th playable character in a week. If you try it, lemme know what you thought.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://jackofallcontrollers.com/20...-meets-with-a-group-of-bloodborne-developers/

While this is likely an over reach, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Head of PlayStation’s Indies program Shuhei Yoshida just sent some time with various staff members from both Japan Studio that worked on BloodBorne and people from the BloodBorne team at FromSoftware.

This is absolutely weird and suspicious that there wasn’t someone from outside the team at this little gathering, and this could be our first hint towards a BloodBorne II.

Swigen

Arbiter
If From is gonna be fags and never make another Armored Core ever again then I wish they’d make a soulsborne rogue-like. That would be tits.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If From is gonna be fags and never make another Armored Core ever again then I wish they’d make a soulsborne rogue-like. That would be tits.

I NEED a polished Armored Core with good budget running in a PC. AC: For Answer is a (great) warning of what they can do with more resources. It would be the best news From could gave me.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I died some 40 times in that boss because of sheer boredom. I'd lose my focus. Quite possibly the worst boss in vidya history.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I actually went through with that Arcane character. Most fun I had with this game ever. I almost finished the main game, save for the deeper chalices, and will now try the DLC.

Rereading the item descriptions and thinking about level design I have to say that there is true poetry in this little gem of a game. A wonderful experience, somehow easily replayable despite its relative linearity...

Perkel

Arcane
I actually went through with that Arcane character. Most fun I had with this game ever. I almost finished the main game, save for the deeper chalices, and will now try the DLC.

Rereading the item descriptions and thinking about level design I have to say that there is true poetry in this little gem of a game. A wonderful experience, somehow easily replayable despite its relative linearity...

Chalice dungeons is really neat design but it lacks content. I would love to see rogue like Bloodborne spinoff only with Chalice dungeons but expanded a lot.

Elwro

Arcane

Chalice dungeons is really neat design but it lacks content. I would love to see rogue like Bloodborne spinoff only with Chalice dungeons but expanded a lot.
Yeah. The little bits you get when you buy boss armour is not enough, I agree... but they do fill some voids in the 'plot'

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Elwro, Arcane is only meant for true philosophers, and since you decided to become a family man, it just won't happen in this lifetime.
TWIST! 'True philosophy' aside, I am actually employed at an Institute of Philosophy. Maybe there's hope for me! :D

If only being employed by an organisation was enough to make you think and create new ideas, huh. I guess it's enough to put bread on the table and be something social or something, but you're still a traitor to truth

now try the DLC.

Enjoy, it is quite great content. The last boss will really put you down if you have an arcane build though, good luck

Silva

Arcane
Yeah. The little bits you get when you buy boss armour is not enough, I agree... but they do fill some voids in the 'plot'
Yeah, like the lore of the tomb raiders prospectors of the church, or the ashen guardians of the pthumerians.

Oh man, this shit should get a sequel.

Edit: by the way, is there a Pthumerians analogue in Lovecraft stories? The whole game is a big homage to HPL but I can't find where this specific element came from.

Elwro

Arcane
Edit: by the way, is there a Pthumerians analogue in Lovecraft stories? The whole game is a big homage to HPL but I can't find where this specific element came from.
I was thinking about this a few days ago... From what I remember about Lovecraft the Bloodborne approach would be a clear improvement, trying to describe the relationship between the humans and the Great Ones. In Lovecraft it seemed to me as if the human was always an ant to be trampled and that was it. Still, there were the Dreamers of Ancient Kadath (?) ... I forgot much...

praetor

Arcane
no, HPL and Bloodborne are only very very superficially related. in many (most) ways, BB is the complete opposite of HPL in themes and stuff. plenty of discussion on it (much) earlier in the thread.

praetor

Arcane
Silva are you illiterate or something? have you ever read HPL? there are no "benevolent" (or even malevolent, for that matter) Old Ones in his work. that line of thinking is 100% antithetical to his work. you'd know that if you read it and actually understood the words that were written.

i won't repeat myself or others (Cowboy Moment elaborated the most on the topic, iirc), but it's all there. only an unwashed, illiterate peasant would think "BB = HPL" because it has "old ones" in it

Elwro

Arcane
I don't think the idea is that BB = HPL; still, the connections are clear. Just take a look at Ebrietas. To be honest, I find BB's lore more compelling since it touches on some important human stuff like the need for self-improvement...

Silva

Arcane
no, HPL and Bloodborne are only very very superficially related. in many (most) ways, BB is the complete opposite of HPL in themes and stuff. plenty of discussion on it (much) earlier in the thread.
Aside from the MO through which the protagonist deals with monsters (aka beating them up) everything in BB is Lovecraft inspired. Main plot of cultists contacting old ones and fucking up location with potential to fuck the world is basically Shadow over Innsmouth and The Dunwich Horror. And the fact the player is kept in the dark without concrete answers on why or how these beings operate or do their shit mirrors all Lovecraft protagonists.

And Praetor, who talked about good and evil here, you faggot? The only good or evil beings presented in BB are human beings (like the Healing Church heads who experiment in the populace or the Cult of Mensis with their kidnappings).

Edit: even the game's blending of gothic and cosmic horror mirrors Lovecraft own blending of such through his history/bibliography.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
By the way, the Codex is only place where I can respect a bro as true gent like praetor and still call him a faggot (and be called a retardo back) and don't get any feelings hurt or whatever.

In these times of quarantine and solitude, this makes me drop a manly tear.

images

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Silva are you illiterate or something? have you ever read HPL? there are no "benevolent" (or even malevolent, for that matter) Old Ones in his work. that line of thinking is 100% antithetical to his work. you'd know that if you read it and actually understood the words that were written.
After Lovecraft's death, August Derleth became his literary executor and not only kept Lovecraft's existing works in publication but also published many new works featuring and developing the 'Lovecraft Mythos', including a number of stories presented as a collaboration between Lovecraft and Derleth (although really almost entirely, if not completely, of Derleth's own creation). The broader, posthumous 'Lovecraft Mythos' or 'Cthulhu Mythos' did include a division of Old Ones in malevolent and benevolent entities, regarding their relationship with humanity, even though this is antithetical to Lovecraft's general conception of cosmic horror. Possibly Bloodborne is influenced more by the later Mythos than by the original Lovecraft stories. :M

derleth-mythos1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom