Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Oi, more rumors:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.
-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.
-every weapon has a unique counter ability.
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later.
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Still wishing Fromsoft would bring the AC series to PC. Considering how well Dark Souls did in that regard, and that giant mechs are typically for NERDS that use desktops, seems like a no brainer. I suppose the AC series hasn't been popular enough to begin with though. Shame.
AC is a crazy good game with a crazy control scheme IIRC. I would buy it.

Oi, more rumors:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.
-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.
-every weapon has a unique counter ability.
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later.
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot.

Basically what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls.

Jezal_k23

I really, really wanted to play this game but like a true prestigious codexer I don't own one of these fancy "console" machines that I hear everyone talking about lately.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Sometimes I am tempted to get a used PS4 just for this game, and then sell it all when I am done.

If only Sony had made PS4 backwards compatible with PS1-PS4 by some miracle, I'd have got one of day one.

praetor

Arcane
I don't think I could hang onto a system for a single game, no matter how much I might like it, though.

well... there's also.... ummm... The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus remaster, and From has iirc 2 more exclusives for Sony in their contract (maybe Shadows Die Twice is one of them?)

decent ones (i haven't played): Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding could be interesting if you like Kojima (i don't), Deep Down isn't cancelled yet (c'mon crapcom! :negative:), Wild could be interesting (new M. Ancel game), new Wipeout. and who knows what the future holds... maybe another smaller studio surprises everyone with an :incline: game like From did with DeS

The Decline

Arcane
I don't think I could hang onto a system for a single game, no matter how much I might like it, though.

well... there's also.... ummm... The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus remaster, and From has iirc 2 more exclusives for Sony in their contract (maybe Shadows Die Twice is one of them?)

decent ones (i haven't played): Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding could be interesting if you like Kojima (i don't), Deep Down isn't cancelled yet (c'mon crapcom! :negative:), Wild could be interesting (new M. Ancel game), new Wipeout. and who knows what the future holds... maybe another smaller studio surprises everyone with an :incline: game like From did with DeS

If you're a weeb/mechafag you also have 3 Super Robot Wars games and a tactical Gundam game available as well.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Picked up the DLC on sale. My existing character is deep into NG+ and I don't feel like sorting that all out so I started over. Figured I'd try a skill/bloodtinge build and use a different weapon other than Ludwigs sword.

Heh, I got all the way to Father Gascoigne and beat him without leveling up because I forgot you needed Insight to activate the doll.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah well blame Fromsoft for making it so obscenely overpowered compared to everything else.

I never liked the saw weapons, they seemed lame. The axe was more fun but ludwig is just too good not to use.

But yeah I need variety for my second playthrough, that's why I'm doing skill/bloodtinge now.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah well blame Fromsoft for making it so obscenely overpowered compared to everything else.

I never liked the saw weapons, they seemed lame. The axe was more fun but ludwig is just too good not to use.

But yeah I need variety for my second playthrough, that's why I'm doing skill/bloodtinge now.
For a skill/blood build the Whip, Chikage and Rapier-gun are no brainers. Then you have a couple great ones in the DLC which names I forgot: Simon bow-sword, that scimitar one with an elusive moveset, and Maria saber.

Alternately, there's also the Gun-spear from the powder kegs and the space daggers. But I think they scale with other stats too so it's optional.

Silva

Arcane
Saw Spear is my weapon of choice in the beginning. It's serrated in both forms, has a long ass stab attack, pretty sure it also has some phantom range, and it's fast to boot. Buff it with fire paper and it's so powerful you'll tear up all the bosses up to the Shadows like they were made of paper.
Pure wisdom. Passing up on saw weapons is a mistake. They get a bonus (20% ? ) against beasts that stacks with fire paper, making them terrifyingly good against some enemies. And they also have interesting moveset (aka charged combos) that make them a joy to use.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I didn't care for Chikage because of the health drain. I want to check out the DLC weapons but that will be awhile. I'm using the saw spear and whip right now.
I didn't at first either but trust me, the drain is negligible enough for the massive damage boost it gives.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
SSEz1gQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom