Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Bloodlines 2 Dev Diary #1: Who is Hardsuit Labs?

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Florian Schwarzer; Hardsuit Labs; Ka'ai Cluney; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Hardsuit Labs' Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 was announced a month ago. There have been several more articles about it in the press since then, including an extensive interview at VentureBeat and two interview videos at Shacknews and Noclip. No gameplay footage has been revealed yet. It looks we might have to wait until E3 for that. In the meantime, Paradox have decided to begin publishing Bloodlines 2 dev diaries on the game's official forum. The first entry is a brief introduction by producer Liz Starr. It's not particularly interesting but it is a good excuse to post those interview videos, which feature Brian Mitsoda and Hardsuit Labs creative director Ka'ai Cluney:

Hello, my name is Liz Starr, I am one of the Producers at Hardsuit Labs, and I have the dream job of working on Bloodlines 2. I am very happy to bring you this dev diary about Hardsuit Labs and the story behind our fantastic team.

Hardsuit Labs began in 2015 with Andy Kipling, Russell Nelson, and a team of about 20 people. We had all worked at another studio together before. When that place went out of business, Andy and Russ – then a Production Director and Tech Director – decided to ask a few of their former teammates to help start something new. Back then, we thought that it’d take maybe five years of bringing older games to newer formats for this band of veterans to gain enough reputation to pitch a full game production.

Two years later, Ka’ai Cluney, our Creative Director, burst into Andy’s office with an idea he and his friend Brian Mitsoda had come up with. Ka’ai is one of those people who seems to have been everywhere and done everything; from design at id Software and Monolith to building roofs in Alaska. He had worked with Brian (of Troika and Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines fame) before. Together, they came up with a concept that lured Brian out of his own indie studio, into our team.

More importantly, it convinced Andy and Russ to go all in and to start pitching that full game project three years earlier than we’d have guessed.

When I discovered that what we were pitching was Bloodlines 2, I was beyond excited. Not only because Paradox has released some games that I give much of my free time to, but also because I am a huge World of Darkness fan. I wish I could tell my LARPing younger Ventrue self that she would one day be working on this game.

Turns out I wasn’t the only one: One of the wonderful things about World of Darkness and Hardsuit Labs is that we have a lot of fans in the team. There’ve been off-hours Vampire tabletop games in the conference room since before the project properly started. Those who were new to the IP were gently introduced to the fandom and have also embraced it.

Nowadays, Hardsuit Labs is a good mix of seasoned veterans and recently bloodied developers of many different backgrounds. One example of strengthening this mix is Cara Ellison, who joined us early last year. Cara's known to some for her work as a journalist (at Rock Paper Shotgun et. al), to others for her work on Dishonored 2... and to even fewer for her testing on GTA4. We value our diversity of experience and the diversity of us as individuals; we know this brings more perspective to our work and company culture, and ultimately creates better games.

For Bloodlines 2, this team is putting all its passion and motivation behind the narrative of Brian and Cara. We can’t wait for you to sink your teeth into it!
    It's a start, I guess. I wonder if they're going to publish these on a weekly basis as with Paradox's own titles.

• decline x 12
    • honk honk! x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bladderfish Augur

Bladderfish
    I'm glad they are making this, but every time I see Cara Ellison's name, especially beside the word "diversity", I smell shit ...

... That's all I have to say.

• Agree x 20
    • Despair x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    :thisisfine:

• Despair x 17
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    I'll give it to him, it took me a few moments to realize he never actually answered the question.

This guy sounds like a snake to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. boobio Cipher

boobio
    • meh meh x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Black Arcane

Black
    Literally nobodies.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Hiring a journalist confirms this will be all but DOA.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Codex GOTY whenever it releases.

• honk honk! x 6
    • Yes x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    I'm a codexer and I approve of this message and/or product.

• Friendly x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nifft Batuff Learned

Nifft Batuff
    I have a bad feeling about this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    For some reason I always read their name as Hardslut Labs.

:philosoraptor:

• Excited! x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Doggy x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Well, pigtales, tight short skirts, and pale vampire tits might not be for everyone. Better not be shit.

So, will Jeanette be in it I wonder?
    [​IMG]
    Somehow, i don't recall that image in the game.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, this one I do recall.

Lordy? Looking at the video in op, i'm wondering what the operating specs one will need. Going to save up for a good desktop anyway.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Rudi

[​IMG]
    Name:
    Rudi

Clan:
    Gangrel

Allegiance:
    Anarchs

A new player on the Kindred scene, Rudi commands an impressive following as an Anarch representative for the oppressed and repressed minorities in vampire society. Though his concerns extend to kine as well, his recent entry into Kindred existence has shown him that the fights mortals must undertake for equality are just as pressing for immortals. Rudi’s nightly life hasn’t changed much since the Embrace. He still makes his haven in Copenhagen, still hangs with the same friends, and still attends the same clubs. He has only expanded his concerns; in addition to advocating for fellow mortal minorities, he now champions Gangrel kept out of havens and feeding grounds by sprawl, stands up for female Kindred in cities run by traditionally misogynistic elders, and encourages the adoption of progressive norms over tradition wherever possible. Some might think Rudi’s combination of practicing Islam and unabashed queerness contradictory, but few challenge the “Bear Gangrel” with this notion. Fast becoming the animale du jour, Rudi wins fellow discontented Kindred over with his targeted approach against elitists and Camarilla hardliners. Some European Princes fear he will lead a crusade in years to come, in an attempt to level the establishment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019
    • Old x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Infinitron care to elaborate on shit ratings?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Read: we are a monolithic group of NPCs that jumped on the latest political correct bandwagon and anyone who thinks any different is a dinosaur that should be extinct with extreme intolerance.

• Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. curry Arcane

curry
    Is this a joke?

• honk honk! x 6
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Rudi

• Funny Funny x 3
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Where is gameplay?

• it is a mystery x 3
    • Button x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. luj1 Magister

luj1
    Infinishill is a well-known cuck defender and beggar of free keys

• Yes Yes x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nazrim Eldrak Learned

Nazrim Eldrak
    Just highlevel talk.
    Borring.

^ Top  
  24. Nazrim Eldrak Learned

Nazrim Eldrak

• decline decline x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Apparently this company was Zombie Studios Inc., and the game they all worked on (that made the 20-year-old company go under?) was Daylight, a FPP survival horror game which does sound like it could bear some superficial resemblance to a potential Vampire game. I'd hope, from the sound of it, that they've learned a thing or two since then.

:M

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)