Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Ivan

Arcane
The trilogy is pretty great overall. Recommended. The Movie tie in wasn't bad either. the 2008 entry is the one to avoid

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
All that talent wasted on Touhou shit. Sigh, japan. As always, westerners do everything better:

jungl

Augur
I played first lecarde chronicles last year on hard rage quit towards end of the game because what a mistake it was picking hard. The problem with indie developers is they don't understand difficulty progreesion. knowing how to slowly ease the player into the game and then ramp up the difficulty little by little. Lecarde chronicles 1 one of the first fucking stages has you jumping over medusa heads, lizard men, falling platforms. Potential death everywhere. That kind of shit should be for mid to later stages. He sort of fixed that in lecarde 2 but I lost interest in it 20 minutes in from the bitterness from the first game.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

"This is a kickstarter game and uh, we won't say anything about abilities beside that you can uh, find one to gain a double jump to get to areas you couldn't before"

MCn17fI.jpg

:shredder:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Most intriguing part of that demo is at 33:35 when they showcase a bossfight with a human-type enemy. Plenty of dodging and attack animation cancels (sword animation cancel on landing and while backdashing just like the old days). Most interestingly, you can see that Miriam doesn't take damage on collision with the enemy like every other Castlevania game -- it looks like they've decided to leverage the 3D rendering of the game to change up the combat system. This means that you have more opportunities for movement and dodging, and don't have to worry about getting trapped into a corner by a boss hoping for an opening to jump over or slide under. This could be decline (since that positioning element with respect to your surroundings was an important element to boss encounters in the Castlevania games), or incline if they make boss attacks that much more aggressive and punishing to match.

Otherwise, it's looking good. People were criticizing the floaty or clunky look to the game from the e3 showings last year, but it only looked that way because of amateur journalists playing the game who have no sense for attacking with air movement, dodges/slides, animation cancels, and the like. The gameplay looks up to standard and there appears to be plenty of depth on offer, the only question is if the content (levels/enemies/bosses/weapons/spells/abilities) will be up to snuff. Trusting Iga to deliver here.
:mlady:

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
SO anybody in the codex have played the 32/64 bit games released by the dev?

Steam reception been good unlike Mighty No 9 so I guess this game should be OK?

Edit: another game that should be made in 2D ruined due to crap 3D :negative:

Ash

Arcane
Wow the IGN journo being an actual journo and asking the right questions.

Also the art direction does look better now.

What is up with these KS projects taking so long though?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I dunno about this one in particular but I know a lot of them get really bogged down handling the details of various minor backer rewards- keychains and posters even just getting digital stuff to people involves a ton more work than you'd expect, largely due to customer support issues when people don't get the shit they were promised because you (or they) typo'd their address or other random errors. Imagine trying to mail a postcard to thousands of people and then getting angry emails from everyone who didn't get one.

Twizman

Scholar
For anyone interested in more Castlevania, there's a lot of great romhacks in the Classicvania tradition. The best I've played are: Overflow Darkness, Chorus of Mysteries, and The Holy Relics. Just picked up Curse of the Moon on Steam, looks like another good one. :)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The only good thing in this trailer is David "Snake" Hayter. And to think how much better this would look in handdrawn 2D. Isn't this supposed to be a Castlevania spiritual successor? Because the atmosphere is lacking quite a lot for that. The music is also bleeeeh. Nothing like this:

Curratum

The trailer looks dire. This is UE4, how on earth do you make it look that flat and dull?

So glad I adjusted my pledge down to just $1 and avoided yet another KS trainwreck...

Big Wrangle

The only good thing in this trailer is David "Snake" Hayter.
I mean, yeah, but he just plays Snake in here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom