Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by LivingOne, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    What is a proper metroidvania anyways?

It's technically not a Castlevania game, nor is it Metroid, and there are many metroidvania games that have been released these past few years, some of which got popular and beloved like Hollow Knight or the La-Mulana games, so i don't understand the proper metroidvania thing.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Hayter was screwed by Kojima, not by Konami.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    It Says You're A Heretic

^ Top  
  4. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    The important thing to me is a non linear path through a large open world, and something gained from killing enemies, whether xp or currency or random item drops. Lots of games fail the first aspect by gating their power ups in a specific order. The second aspect isn't as important, but without it, killing enemies is pointless and you're basically playing an open world platformer.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    New in-depth gameplay interview with someone from Way Forward (Shantae developer), who joined the project for the final development push.

Tons of incline here. Looks like all of the systemic breadth of Symphony of the Night with the polish and gameplay depth of Aria of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/ Order of Ecclesia. Some highlights:
    • You can hotswap your gear/shard setup with a radial menu. Up to 8 purchaseable slots
    • Weapon critical arts can be performed with unique input combos and cost MP. You can either learn them by experimentation or through books that you find in the world which specify the input combo, effect, and eligible weapons
    • There's a new parry and riposte mechanic which looks to require pretty precise timing and is possibly unique to certain weapons (maybe as a critical art?)
    • More new familiars -- here we saw a fairy familiar that conjures arrows and points out breakable walls and a knight familiar that attacks enemies and even occasionally blocks enemy attacks with his spear
    • Guns are an actual weapon class with different ammo types, some of which are finite. Ammo capacity can be increased with upgrades found through exploration
    • The crafting system can be used to upgrade shards as well as craft equipment and items
    • The Way Forward guy talked about how they were brought onto development to assist where needed, particularly in brushing up the game's graphics

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    I have very high hopes for this. The nostalgia for Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, and Symphony of the Night is gnawing at me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Has there been any word on the difficulty of the game yet? Will there be any different difficulty settings or is it aiming to be a challenging experience by default? We all know how unfortunately easy SotN was, and I'm a little concerned that's how this'll turn out.

That's pretty much the only thing besides waiting to hear how long the game is that's holding me back from playing day one.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IceyD Educated

IceyD
    yo i preorderd this for the box art i don't even know what to expect

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    If it's like all his other ones you will probably have to unlock harder difficulties by finishing the game. Though I feel as though the later DS games weren't as easy as SOTN, but I haven't played them lately to say for sure. I'm sure there are ways to make it harder by using weaker armor/equipment, etc. "Nightmare Difficulty" was a stretch goal, not sure if it is already in the game or will be added later. The game is already slated to have updates, but they only mention new modes/online functionality so I assume the difficulty is at least there from the start (whether or not you can select it right away is a mystery)

On release / day one patch:
    • Boss Rush Mode
    • Speedrun Mode
    • Pure Miriam outfit

Later:
    • Two additional playable characters (Zangetsu and ???)
    • Local and online multiplayer for certain co-op and vs. modes
    • Roguelike Mode
    • Chaos Mode
    • Classic Mode
    • Boss Revenge Mode

no idea what classic mode, chaos mode or "boss revenge" mode are.. there are also supposed to be cheat codes you can enter to do various things, it'd be nice if one of them affected difficulty somehow.

• incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kruno Liturgist Shitposter

Kruno
    More info plz.

^ Top  
  11. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Kojima wanted a movie star to voice Snake, he tried to replace Hayter after every MGS game. Iirc he even tried to get Kurt Russell for MGS3, but it didn't worked out so he got Hayter again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Metroids are proper Metroidvanias, what drugs are you on?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Most "Metroidvanias" are more like "Metroid-likes" to me. The thing that always differentiated Igarashi's Castlevania games from Metroid were the RPG elements like XP, the player having stats, the itemization of weapons and armor, etc. and most, if not all, of indie "Metroidvanias" don't have any of those elements. That aspect is probably why I'm more excited for Bloodstained than than I was for Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Whether XP or not, the core element of Metroidvania's are large worlds who have areas gated by either special items or abilities. You can level up as much as you want in Metroidvania's with RPG-like progression, but you still need those items or abilities to get past those gates. If you not you have just 2d-action RPGs like Zeliard or Ys3

^ Top  
  15. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    The core element of Metroid-likes are large worlds who have areas gated by either special items or abilities. There is nothing in that definition that is unique to Castlevania that is worth adding "vania" at the end. The vast majority of these types of games are basically Metroid clones. The only reason people refer to them as "Metroidvanias" is because, much like FF7 to JRPGS, it is the first game of that genre they played (SOTN) when the term was used to differentiate it from previous Castlevania games which were action side scrollers. Being the ignorant plebs they are, they started using that term for any game faintly similar to SOTN's structure, and here we are today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Oh, you're one of these idiots who get insulted over the idea that Metroid has to share name-space with Castlevania despite, in your opinion, not adding anything to the term. Deal with it, Metroidvania is a term that stays and includes Metroids, Meroid-like Castlevanias and all the games they inspired

• Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • :( x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Are you retarded? I said in a previous post on this very page that the difference was with RPG elements, which is additive to the Metroid experience. I also said I am more excited for Bloodstained precisely because of those RPG elements. Also I'm not insulted, but you do seem awfully triggered.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Castlevania Mirror of Fate looked better than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Released:

https://www.gog.com/game/bloodstain...t?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    "Koji Igarashi (Iga), creator of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is bringing Igavania back!"

He was the co-director of SOTN, not the creator.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Downloading this right now!

Man, i really hope that this ends up being good.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. grimace Savant

grimace
    Seven more days for a possible Switch version.

^ Top  
  23. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Enough time for us to thoroughly destroy your enthusiasm

• Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Partly through the game development the main director let Igarashi finish the game in his place.

^ Top  
  25. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Downloading !

Positively hyped about it. It has been a while since i played metroidvania. 2 years ago i finished aria of sorrow which was excellent.

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)