Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Hyperion

Arcane
Any idea what you're supposed to do with the
8-bit coin
?
Crafting stuff after you get off the ship. Looks to be backer-related items?

Played a bit, found 3 destructible walls on the Galleon (2 MP Ups, 1 HP Up), killed the boss. Was a p fun fight, though I wouldn't recommend the Claymore against her on future playthroughs. Made a Katana afterwards. :obviously:

First Impression: It's gud

Jinn

Arcane
I'm saving katanas for Zangetsu's playthrough for maximum :obviously:.

Found my first 8-bit Coin and crafted the Blood Grinder greatsword. It's a little slow, but goddamn does it shred shit up. I've got shard spell when I need that quickness. No regrets!

In other news, on Hard difficulty I regularly get smacked around when I run blindly into a new area. What a great feeling to have in this type of game.

Perkel

Arcane
Killed first boss and got to village.

It is great guys ! Music is fantastic.
It really feels like proper metrodvania in vein of SOTN/ARIA/DAWN.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Feels great to play so far. All of the animation cancels are perfect, and the weapon types are all distinct and feel snappy to use. I decided to blow all of my money on the Lance in the store since I loved spears in the Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, and so far it's not disappointed.

So far I love the weapon techniques. It's so much better to have the fighting game combos on weapon moves than spells like in SOTN, because your failure to perform precise input commands no longer locks you out of the magic system as a whole, but just some cool additions to your weapon moveset. They also cost a fair bit of mana, so it's a tradeoff with spell usage. I accidentally discovered the Chun Li kick move on the Kung Fu Boots (though a book in the tutorial level gives it to you for free) and used it to boost myself to a secret area. Only elite players can get the pirate hat before the first boss :smug:

Level design is cool already with secrets, optional exploration, and looping shortcuts (it's like Dark Souls hurr durr!). Enemies are fun to fight and encounters do a good job testing movement and combat mechanics. It's a hypnotic gameplay loop that's managed to remain fresh for decades, and it's no slouch here. The Zengetsu boss was also some reaaaaaal good shit.

The game's difficult enough on Normal for me, though I never had a problem with the default difficulty in Iga's prior games for the first playthrough (except maybe SotN and HoD, which were definitely a bit too easy). I like having a bit more room to screw around and explore the game's sytems, and then challenge myself to use them properly on replay.

Some of the animations are definitely jank, but the gameplay's excellent where it counts. Plus I don't think the overall visuals are bad at all otherwise.

So far it's exactly what I wanted. Probably my most worthy :d1p:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So it's good? Yay

Yeah. It has its janky moments and occasionally I feel like the controls are not 100% precise, only like 99% (I sometimes end up swinging and attacking in the wrong direction, not sure whether there's some minuscule input lag or not), but overall I'm really hooked

Graphics range from quite beautiful (almost all the backgrounds and landscape looks great) to ok when it comes to characters

Wide variety of weapons with different behaviors, just like in SOTN and its like

Game can kill you pretty fast if you don't keep attention

Killed first boss and got to village.

It is great guys ! Music is fantastic.
It really feels like proper metrodvania in vein of SOTN/ARIA/DAWN.

Almost too much, some enemies and some scenes feel almost like 1-to-1 nicked from SOTN and games like it. I mean it was the intention to copy those games, but boy oh boy did they copy them. Its exactly what I wanted, but I still wasn't expecting them to feel this similar

Jinn

Arcane
occasionally I feel like the controls are not 100% precise, only like 99% (I sometimes end up swinging and attacking in the wrong direction, not sure whether there's some minuscule input lag or not), but overall I'm really hooked

This is kind of a general PSA for everyone in this thread: In case you haven't noticed, there is an option under the Other tab for Reduced Input Lag. It's helped with my initial similar feeling as Grauken's a lot. Supposedly it may poorly effect your performance, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.

grimace

Arcane
Found some cheat codes:

Sup, here's something for people playing Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, all the name codes (you input those as your character name).
I datamined these straight from the game files so I don't know what most of them do since I haven't tested them yet.

NIGHTMARE
EvilTheSword
DungeonNightSword
SilverAndBlackSword
PowerSword
SwordOfTheMushroom
DUNGEONITE
ALPHAOMEGASIN
8MEGAPOWER
The-BazMask
BULLFIGHTER
SPONGYVINE
AKindaFunnyMask
TEAMFAT
Grumps
Egoraptor
Mega64Head
Meower
Jarvis
PlagueDoctorFace
swimmingbird
KongSword
JEPSON
BigMustache
AWESOMEVIDEOGAMES
Plan9FOSpace
chuggaaconroy
LoveOfBenki
INTHEBATHROOM
HumptyDumpty
EGGFARM
LoveOfPizza
STEPHENPLAYS
BIGHEAD
TheSpeedGamers
ClockSowrd

Codes are CASE SENSITIVE and the last one (ClockSowrd) is not a typo on my part, that's what the code is.

Hyperion

Arcane
I also crafted a katana as soon as I got to the workshop, obviously :obviously:
I've been going full autismo grinding out each enemy's shard to see what it does. While farming for the Giant Rat's shard I accidentally discovered a technique for the Nodachi, 'Eleventh Hour.'

Forward - Forward - Attack to use it, for a short window of guarding physical attacks (looks like it includes touch damage as well). The kicker? It creates a full screen time stop for about 2 seconds, where all of your attacks deal double damage. Made quick work of the Sabnock (his Shard is a passive that increases Sword and Mace damage, while further Ranks up attack speed btw)

Is it any surprise the Katana is already the best weapon in the game? :obviously:

Since I didn't have time to play before work, I just spent a few minutes save scumming, trying out the 8-bit coin weapons. I didn't try them all, but settled on the Claw of Onmanaki or whatever. Greatsword that lets you hold Attack for about 2 seconds for a delayed attack that deals 1.5x damage.

Eu's Sword has access to a technique called Force Blast, performed with Quarter Circle Forward Attack that looks like it creates a Shockwave of damage.

The whip can hold attack down and alternate between light and dark damage.

Some weapons cause status effectsz namely Stone and Curse. I don't know what the latter does since it was Resisted every time.

IceyD

Scholar
i've just been melting everything with the buzzsaw shard. i barely even start to see a new enemy's moveset before they're dead. works on bosses too.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah people talking about game being easier don't know what they are talking about.
Game is defo harder than any igavania before and i am playing on normal as hard and the other one are locked.

Currently trying to kill that boss with katana and i died like 5 times already. His moveset is excellent and varied so it basically feels like i am playing dark souls or something learning his moveset.

HP wise game is much stricter than previous igavanias which gave you plenty of food and potions. Now you need to buy those potions mostly yourself which costs money and money so far seems like it is in good place, you don't get it much but also not super strict.

Like Aria system of shards. It gives you this extra "what if" that keeps you playing game well after you finish it because those shards give A LOT of combat customization.

I am still at the beginning but game already is fucking great.

edit: Graphic wise like many people already said: Environment is excellent which i am most surprised about. Especially inside of castle which is very baroque, some enemies look and behave excellent but some are pretty mediacore. Some of enemy animations seem wonky but it is not really an issue considering that there are plenty of different enemies in game.

bataille

Arcane
Looks like the hard mode gives bosses extra attacks. The first one gets a geyser beam that you have to avoid by... hiding behind the enemies that the boss spawns. I must say that this change alone makes the fight both very brutal and more interesting. And after all those easy metroidvanias having only around 5 hit points is very refreshing.

The bad thing, however, is an assortment of little weird glitches and apparent lack of polish. Which is strange considering how long it was in development. Kinda hard to believe they didn't have time to proofread the dialogue or resolve some minor stability issues.

Overall, the first hour was very positive. The game has this very distinct order of ecclesia feel to it. The abundance of secrets was a nice surprise, too. Not much innovation, but nobody was expecting anything experimental. Very interested in continuing.

Is this Nightmare mode or Hard? How do you unlock hard from the start?

It's Hard Mode. I can imagine Nightmare being either a new game+ or some sort of masochistic no-hit mode. To be frank, that super tricky geyser attack is precisely what was missing from the boss battles in previous games: some elaborate moves that require you quite some effort to avoid. I mean, it's not just dodge this or dodge that. You first need to see a telegraphed action (spawning of the enemies), then get in position, hang in there for some time, avoiding enemy attacks while waiting for the boss' laser to start shooting, sit there some more while it passes your character's position, and then dispose of the enemies you used as cover. That's like a 10 seconds long scenario for just one boss move. If it's any indication of what's to come, then I'm super pumped to see what boss fights are in store.

Curratum

2.5 hours in. The game is everything I wanted from my dream sequel to SotN in my head. MASSIVE INCLINE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Get that red Pixie. She helps you find destructible walls for hidden rooms and stuff. Carrasomething.

edit:

I love weaponary in this game. There are a lot of unique weapons for each type of weapon.
For example i have sword that flies around, sword that spins around axis delivering 3 hit smash.
Boots with blade which delivers only one hit at maximum range but when you get into kick range itself you get both blade and kick hit. There are plenty of that stuff.

I hope there is some kind of upgrade system later in game where you can upgrade old weapons to keep their moveset.

Also when you read books about special moves, do them instantly because it won't go into archive unless you do them once.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm running past chests on the Galleon and it hurts my soul, do you get to come back to this area because I see chests I can't reach and it sucks

Perkel

Arcane
Just got interesting shard. Basically it is sword which you can summon as familiar but when you don't use it you can actually use it as normal sword. And power of that sword depends on familiar power so rank/grade/lvl

edit: Lol i found glasses which makes you play at 200% zoom. Love itemization in this game. It is way interesting than any igavania game. Also it seems like attack power now rely more on character level and other equipment than just weapon itself. I am currently trying to master skill from Basselard which throws knife and i don't have much problems playing despite using essentially one of the first weapons.

unknown.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom