Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this probably the best RPG of 2019? I'm thinking back and it's kind of this and Sekiro as my absolute you must play this, this is so great titles.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I got the OP laser of doom pretty early on so I've just kinda been facerolling through the game. Nearly done now, had to look up the gimmick to get to the last area. Game is good overall, but definitely has some design flaws. Looking forward to updates. Was initially planning to do a higher difficulty run but honestly it seems like it'd just make the weapons even more useless compared to the spells.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I hope we start seeing some unlockable characters appear soon. I remember having a ton of fun with the Old Axe Armor mode in Portrait of Ruin.

Damned Registrations

If you go for a magic build, those light and dark beams are pretty op. Good damage, infinite range, instant activation, free aiming and wide AoE once upgraded. It's like you just point your finger towards the enemy and they die instantly, if your damage is high enough.
Bunnygirl form is also really strong. It scales off int instead of attack (weapon is irrelevant, you can even use safe ring without losing damage) and the kick damage applies to your stomp attacks too.

Prior to that the dullahan head flail was my goto move, high blunt damage in a huge area for only 25 mp. Made the weapon arts seem really overpriced. Their costs make more sense in the end game, but a lot of them are just really crap due to short range or huge windup (that twirly axe move jesus christ) for relatively little damage. The rapier one is arguably worse to have once you learn it vs just spamming normals.

Definitely a shame the balance on the spells and skills was so sloppy, given a test dummy it'd only take a few hours to go through everything and bring it more in line.

What cool weapons have people found? I noticed the pink rapier has bugged damage equivalent to it's end game form, spiral sword has a cool multi hit swing, and most elemental weapons seem to have some weird damage split thing going on with their elemental effect. Knife boots actually have a separate hitbox for the knives which is kinda cool. The Rhava seemed cool albeit not nearly as OP since damage buffs seem to be percentage based instead of flat numbers like in SotN on the ol' Crissy. A bunch of stuff again seems weirdly underpowered. Found the 'Fragrach' near the end of the game and it's damage is piss poor but it didn't seem to have any special property, and although I didn't farm enough to make it, the 'Ridil' also has laughably low damage for a weapon that takes like 6 gold to make.

Hyperion

Arcane
some weird damage split thing going on with their elemental effect
They do an additional 25% damage of their corresponding element.

the 'Ridil'
Hits 3x per swing, not unlike the Spiral Sword (which can hit up to 5). Unlike the Spiral Sword though, its effect works with abilities like Power Slash, so you get 50% more damage per hit with it.

The Rhava seemed cool albeit not nearly as OP since damage buffs seem to be percentage based instead of flat numbers like in SotN on the ol' Crissy
With all the attack speed you can get via Optimizer, and Books, I think you get so much attack speed you overlap swings for the upgraded Rhava that it still outperforms everything. It also no windup, which probably makes it better than Eternal Blue or the Deathbringer even with their 25% more elemental damage. Greatswords have nice coverage and can hit enemies that are actually above / behind you for defensive purposes. The greatswords that can 'charge' are pretty much entirely trash since they take longer to charge than Trucidating Gyre, and do less bonus damage than it gives. TG also gives hyperarmor, and a critical modifier, so it's a no brainer.

I didn't use it, but Grand Izayoi gets stronger the more you use Bloodsteal. Gave up on Katanas for the raw strength of Greatswords, but I guess it technically has the highest damage potential in the game if you go insane farming for it.

Hyperion

Arcane
Alright bros, I reloaded the game and somehow didn't get 100% map completion. Googlefu told me the final boss room counts as 0.2%. I went from 99.8, to 99.9% after unlocking it. I looked at a guy with 100% map completion, and I actually have *more* rooms than him. He has 100%, and is missing the room hidden on the bottom-right of the Waterfall room with the chair mimic. It's driving me fucking insane, since I unleashed my full autism on getting this far without a guide.
65D5B7CEB5EA3AD1E4314376F18C1EBFCC18110F

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Someone on steam boards said that apparently the final bos room might only partially add itself. Try doing it again and getting into all the corners maybe?

Damned Registrations

Jinn

Arcane

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah bloody fucking hell! My shit hole laptops (only comps I have) can't run this thing.
Jesus H. Christ I'm stuck with fucking Mosesvania instead...

Tigranes

Arcane
Just got this, playing on Normal. I am Very, Very Not Git Gud. I die. All the time. I can never do combos properly in games like these, half the time I can't even do a basic dagger throw right.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You don't need any combos at all, I beat the game without using any of them

Just find weapons you like the handling of, then strive to find similiar ones with higher DPS. The game is pretty easy to cheese, but with lots of variety how to, which is half the fun

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I found the best tip for doing combos is to exaggerate them. So if you're trying to do a fireball (236) do something like (12369) instead. But yeah, they're really just for fun. It's the directional magic that is OP as fuck in this game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just got this, playing on Normal. I am Very, Very Not Git Gud. I die. All the time. I can never do combos properly in games like these, half the time I can't even do a basic dagger throw right.

I completed on normal without doing combos, didn't seem too bad.

What weapons are you using?

Tigranes

Arcane
I've always been awful at these kinds of games. It's still early on, I managed to craft a whip with 8-bit coin & also get a 22 attack katana. Slower weapons punish you more for being crappy at timing, so I've been experimenting with medium speed-ish ones.

The shards seem OP, and I'm trying not to spam them so much, I feel like the game is more fun by focusing on weapon fighting. I just beat Zangetsu after like a dozen tries (yes I know), and I'm still just bone tossing every now and then.

(Also, I had preordered this on Switch because I'm traveling so much for work right now - and despite all the reports of shitty port, my experience has been OK so far. I believe they did put out a patch. But that means the basic dagger throw combo for example uses the analogue stick.)

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm now about 40% map in, and immensely enjoying it. Turns out my initial struggles were the very beginning of the game, and then it starts throwing so many different tools at you that I can mask my total lack of action skills. There's enough things 'hidden' around the levels to keep things interesting, and the bosses feel really cool to stumble on, even if a couple of them are a bit weak.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Well after over 30h I think I am finished for now.
o9ykafp.png

Going for 100% would probably take another 5h with the item farming. Bloodstained is definitely the most fun game I have played this year and luckily there DLC and free updates are already announced. BTW more games need a Bunny Demon form
lG3eFb4.png
:incline:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom