Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Bludgeons & Krakens - free oldschool turn-based RPG inspired by Ultima and Diablo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Hi there, I was hoping you'd be interested in covering an old-school RPG I just released, entitled Bludgeons & Krakens. I can best describe it as a turn-based action RPG; it draws heavily from the tradition of classic CRPGs like Ultima, but blends it with the simple, loot-centric gameplay of Diablo.

The player is free to explore the world as he or she sees fit and can complete quests in any order. The main quest requires the player to seek out and defeat bosses across the game world. These bosses also have specific abilities and weaknesses that can be exploited through the use of artifacts hidden in various areas. The player can choose to make use of these artifacts or ignore them for a greater challenge.

The game is PC-only and available now for free. Thanks for your time, I appreciate any coverage at all!

More info, screenshots and download available here:
https://cannibalcat.itch.io/bnk

R5wZMs.png

Welcome to Abraxas! Unfortunately, you've arrived at just about the worst time imaginable. As a novice sellsword just looking for a job, you signed up with a mercenary company only to sell yourself into a land plagued by war, blight, a demonic invasion, and perhaps things even worse. I hope they pay you overtime.
  • Play Your Way. Build your character from one of five classes--Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, or Druid--and customize him or her as you wish. Master weapon skills and magic abilities, upgrade your attributes, and empower yourself with mythic loot.
  • Explore a Strange World. Unearth ancient secrets in every corner of Abraxas. Meet the curious denizens of the land, many of whom will seek your help. Or simply wander the land in search of your fortune.
  • Fight for Survival (and Loot). Take on hordes of foes in turn-based combat. Sling spells, quaff potions, rend your enemies, and loot the bodies. When your skills are honed, seek out powerful bosses who will truly challenge your abilities.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I spotted the game on itch.io, looks nice, I was going to eventually try it at one point.

Mustawd

Looks good! Will play when I have time (which, unfortunately, is not a lot these days).

Courtier

Prophet
Lack of diagonal movement/attacking makes combat seem very simple. For fights you get transported to an open field, terrain hasn't come into play so far. (Monster) skills/consumables should make things more interesting later I hope

Proficiency with weapon rises with use, stat points/skills bought at trainer after levelup

Inventory relatively small so you have to juggle what treasure to keep and torch/potion supply

Some surprisingly good art & sound

Map looking pretty huge

No tutorial holding your hand you just go do shit right away
Nearest cave large and dark & not very remarkable, traps so far different damaging pits+chest traps, but damage can be instantly recovered anywhere by just resting for an hour? :decline:

sstacks

Arcane
Installed it and spent a few minutes checking it out, love the DOS feel and the music. Interacting and getting around is pretty intuitive. Haven't gotten into combat yet.

For free (donations possible at download) it's def worth checking out.

Mustawd

Needs a manual though. Sorry, but I don't have time to waste guessing what button does what.

Even the old games had a manual :M

To a lesser extent, it could also use an automap in the dungeons.

But I had good fun playing it for 30 mins or so.

Courtier

Prophet
Bunch of tiles and sprites seem drawn from same free asset pool that other games (notably RLs with tilesets) use, I recognized the game icon shield also being used in DCSS. Everything fits very nicely though, wouldn't know it when you first see it.

My warrior just learnt to summon a bear at some faraway city's ranger trainer and could also get spells like web - seems like any character can learn any skill, you spend your skillpoints to purchase or improve them and make your ''build'' with a selection from whichever trainers you visit

Finished Orc dungeon and wandered the land aimlessly, saved some sheep from wolves, got ass bitten by spiders and zapped by spooky skellies, even starred in a play:

kh02v8v.png

There is no level scaling or anything, you can attempt difficult areas early for big loot and quick levels. Bonus points for 'tis but a scratch playing every time you die

This be a good game

Mustawd

Nice vid sstacks. Might put this on in the background at work.

Dammit, I guess Jasede was right:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Courtier

Prophet
Beat one of the major bosses with pipe playing, learned some druid spells, then snuck past hydras and shit to buy some expensive gear. The warrior sprint feels like the most useful skill so far (run away/close distance to mages/chase fleeing enemies) although just pumping crushing blow/whatever is probably fine, game isn't very hard. Walked into a ship near the coast and beat up the crew, turns out you can take any ship this way and sail around as you please. Some more info in spoiler:

Flute fight is kind of stupid - grab the pipe from Mausoleum (4 switches, bump into the candles), pen + paper might be handy, just play in reverse order.

Speaking of the Mausoleum, the king's talking skull can be found in the thieves' guild.

On the southwest corner of the coast there's a little cabin with an old man in it, you can upgrade your ship there and picking line ''Dude, where's my ship?'' teleports it nearby.

East of the oasis near the Fool's Throne there's a dojo unmarked on map that lets you fight ninjas to corny music for attribute/skillbooks.

Buying a house gives you storage space, there are several of them.

Skill Trainers (you can just highlight towns on map and it says which are where):
Fighter - Starting town NW, Norsford
Ranger + Rogue - Duskhaven (directly east of start, near large lake)
Druid + Paladin - Goraegon (middle of landbridge between lakes, SE of start)

Weapon Trainers
Axe - Duskhaven
Sword - Goraegon
Dagger - Goraegon
Mace - Naregon (way to east, above snowy area)
Staff - Cormont (NE of Duskhaven)
Bow - Alanir (S of Duskhaven)

Duskhaven sells med (300pts) potions, very useful at this point for only ~400 gp

git mouse support
WCnnfxd.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
Huh, well i started a game and got some kinda good gear and then saved it, headed out ainto that nearest cave and got killed, but now the savegame is gone? Does it store them somewhere strange since i cannot find one in the folder or didnt the saveing get done although im certain i did save?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom