Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Board games

Wolfus

Arcane
I want to buy a new one but I cannot decide which one.

Arkham Horror
Mansions of Madness
Last Night on the Earth
Ghost Stories

Do you guys know them? Can you cecommend me one of them?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Not familiar with any of those. I really want to get the new Classic Battletech boxed set, but I don't have anyone to play it with. :foreveralone:

Trannynota

Out of these I've played only the Arkham Horror. it's a good one, with great design and quite enjoyable but it gets repetitive. So it really depends on how often you are going to play it. The best board game I've played so far is StarCraft. There were several threads on board games here, try to search and read the reviews.

Destroid

Arcane
Why is it terrible? I want arguments, not only opinions.

1. It's a cooperative game that plays no differently with 1-8 players, the committee is heavily in action.
2. It rapidly becomes apparent which locations are good to visit and which are just plain bad.

The first is my biggest issue with the game, and pretty much a deal breaker for me. It will be especially bad if some of your players are more analytical/better at boardgames than others, as they will tend to take charge with the other players along for the (boring) ride.

Wolfus

Arcane
What about Mansions' replayability? Game's cost is 60 EUR and expansions are expensive, so replayability is very important. Arkham has no scenarios, so it should be more replayable, but that's only theory...

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
My friend got a copy of Risk Black Ops from his boss who couldn't keep it due to something to do with journalistic integrity. Wish he'd fucking open it.

Trannynota

The best board game I've played so far is StarCraft.

Evidently you've never played Republic of Rome, Settlers, Twillight Imperium, Axis & Allies or Ave Caesar.
Nah, played Settlers multiple times, with friends in RL and with strangers online. Settlers is a battle while StarCraft is a war. Haven't tried the other games you mentioned, busy with Castle Ravenloft scenarious.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't misunderstand me, StarCraft is surprisingly good for what it is(tm). If you'd really like to try your hand at the "war not battle" thing, try Empires & Arms. That shit is crazy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, I recomend SmallWorld to anyone that's into board games. Very fun WAR-like game, with multiple races, terrains bonuses, map sizes, random skills and fortifications, it's always the most played game whenever I call some bros for a night of boardgames.

smallworld_cover.jpg
small-world-2-1910-p.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
I think we keep them in general gaming.

Some random recommendations:

Cosmic Encounter (3-6)
Tigris & Euphrates (2-4)
Rex: Final Days of an Empire (3-6, complex!)

Boardgames tend to be highly variable over the player count, how many players do you typically have?

DemonKing

Arcane
I only have Last Night on Earth and it's probably one of the better Zombie Apocalypse games out there. One player takes on the role of the Zombies and has a variety of special cards he can utilise to try and take down any of the Small-town America stereotyped player characters, who each have unique powers and can also pick up certain zombie-destroying equipment (chainsaw, shotgun etc etc) to help their chances of survivial. It is scenario based, so there's some variety to be had in game objectives/maps etc. The cards are beautiful with a "zombie-movie" look and the miniatures are reasonable as well.

You can build up some memorable and humourous stories playing this game - our first game ended when the local priest doused the space he was on with gasoline and self-immolated himself and a bunch of zombies to win the game for the humans, and our most recent ended with a victory for the zombies when the zombie player played a card called "This might be our last night on earth" that means a male and a female character on the same space have to miss a turn which caused us to lose the game. The funny thing was, in this case it was the local homeless guy and the prom queen!

A new stand alone expansion called "Timber Peak" has just been announced which will apparently allow for player progression which isn't part of the current system.

Destroid

Arcane
I want to buy a new one but I cannot decide which one.

Do you guys know them? Can you cecommend me one of them?

Arkham Horror: Ranked: 70; Rated: 7.56 / 10
Mansions of Madness: Ranked: 107; Rated: 7.58 / 10
Ghost Stories: Ranked 125; Rated: 7.39 / 10
Last Night on the Earth: Ranked: 171; Rated: 7.3 / 10

Plenty of videos / forum comments on all of them.

There are plenty of games in the top 100 I don't think are particularly good, but perhaps I am too :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom