Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Board games

Wolfus

Arcane
I bought Arkham and Elder Sign last friday.

Trannynota

The best board game I've played so far is StarCraft.

Evidently you've never played Republic of Rome, Settlers, Twillight Imperium, Axis & Allies or Ave Caesar.
Nah, played Settlers multiple times, with friends in RL and with strangers online. Settlers is a battle while StarCraft is a war. Haven't tried the other games you mentioned, busy with Castle Ravenloft scenarious.
Is Castle Ravenloft fun, and how is it with say 2 players ? it's co-op right ?
Yes, it's a co-op one and the first two scenarios are ridiculously easy. It does get harder to the point where you might find yourself on the edge of dying the second time and losing the game. Advantages: cute figures, nice design overall, the setting (for me). Disadvantages: not really challenging, not exiting, not really repeatable despite different scenarios because of the same mechanics (and despite that they change mechanics a little bit for every scenario, it still doesn't help). At least not repeatable on a frequent basis.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Evidently you've never played Republic of Rome, Settlers, Twillight Imperium, Axis & Allies or Ave Caesar.
Nah, played Settlers multiple times, with friends in RL and with strangers online. Settlers is a battle while StarCraft is a war. Haven't tried the other games you mentioned, busy with Castle Ravenloft scenarious.
Yes, it's a co-op one and the first two scenarios are ridiculously easy. It does get harder to the point where you might find yourself on the edge of dying the second time and losing the game. Advantages: cute figures, nice design overall, the setting (for me). Disadvantages: not really challenging, not exiting, not really repeatable despite different scenarios because of the same mechanics (and despite that they change mechanics a little bit for every scenario, it still doesn't help). At least not repeatable on a frequent basis.

Thanks for that, seems like a good one for a first time kind of a thing ? Or are there better alternatives (in fantasy setting)

I can't remember a game I used to play as a kid, Battle something (lords?); it had a giant floormap with two opposing armies (Chaos and Imperial, I think). I have no idea how it holds up now, but I remember the distress it caused my mother whenever I rolled it out.

Trannynota

Thanks for that, seems like a good one for a first time kind of a thing ? Or are there better alternatives (in fantasy setting)

Frankly, this is my first encounter with a co-op DnD board game and I did enjoy it at fist and then when tings turned out to be challenging. It's just that I wouldn't want to play it often and sometimes I think about adding some logic to it, e.g. not only defeating the big boss and looting the quest objective but actually getting back to the dungeon exit (to tell the truth there's a quest like that later on). In general it's just fun to improvise a bit and RP (can't say the game is really suited for it but if the party is willing why not). And check up the unboxing videos on Youtube, if you are like me and love quality figures you'll find it a great pro argument for the game. This is basically why I wanted the game - the setting and the figures :) An unboxing video from the company:

I should add that this is my experience with a 2-palyers set-up only, haven't give it a try with a big party. There's also a game like that about Drizzt but I haven't tried it.

Destroid

Arcane
I can't remember a game I used to play as a kid, Battle something (lords?); it had a giant floormap with two opposing armies (Chaos and Imperial, I think). I have no idea how it holds up now, but I remember the distress it caused my mother whenever I rolled it out.

Sounds like Battle Masters.

rV8YW.jpg

Sounds like Battle Masters.

Ah, that's the one. Thank you. Was that considered any good? Might pick one up again for nostalgia sake.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Anyone played that Game of Thrones boardgame? I've heard it's involved.
My friends love it.

I only played it once, as the greyjoys no less.

Each turn is sorta initative based, each player get 2 moves each round + more depending on various factors and action you took last round.(they can be saved up). I got fenced in my Islands...which meant i couldn't do squat with the amout of moves I got.

There are 3 ranks which all players are sorted into, you can move up and down, the players on the top of a rank recives a token that grants you special options you can use.
The rank for the iron throne(attleast as i can remember) is the one that decides your initiative. IIR players moves up and down the rank(s) based on some biddingpoker when the Wildlings attack card is drawn. Do you want to use up resources, do you want your opponents to cripple themselves by overbidding, Or is everyone gonne have the status quote and save up your resources(moves)...and thus risking not meeting the nesecary amount needed to defend the wall.

Anyway...I was stuck in the middle of the game and couldnt do much( playing the Grejyos require a bit more tact).

But the Diplomacy and Army aspects gives you alot of room to strategize, and the Houses have different startout location and attributes which means you have to play the game a bit different from everyone else.

So yeah: :thumbsup:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I heard the game lasts four hours.

Also I heard there's spoilers for the books. How far?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Hmm...can't remember anything...I belive I remember a card in the "Westeros stack" which was based on something happening in "Storm of swords"

But the expansions are named after the books...you have clash of kings and storm of swords expansion.

But...in one of the expansions you can player the Dothraki and invade Westeros...You do get "Heroes" cards with characters from the books...

Actually now that I think about it....I don't think you have to worry...If you read Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings then I'm pretty sure you won't get any leads.

And four hours...yeah...but i think you can do it in two...depends on how many are playing.

pocketroid

Novice
What have ya'll been playng? The most recent game I've played is Edge of Darkness, after waiting for it for a few years. Top 10 for me, I love it. Imagine deckbuilding, except you share the deck and you construct the aspects of individual cards in the deck. It's wild!

Royal Game of Ur
I've played Senet a lot in real life and on BGA. These type of games are a lot of fun, probably better than backgammon if we knew the real rules. I know Senet doesn't have the full rules, and you can tell. 90% of the game is great, then it falls apart at the end.

Lagi

Savant
...we need more board game talk.

I completely adore board games. I like them way more than digital ones.

Board games problem is, the more players the more waiting for your turn. Issue is multiple by the "I have to be the best" factor of some players [time taken to analyze all the possible movements, estimate and compare the risks of them all, choose the best.... and then still ask about rules clarification !]

Whats wrong with someone taking his time? its turn based game anyway.
Because its boring and a time waste for other people on the table. People playing games because they want to simulate some exciting "activity", that is completely unreal or unachievable in real life. Let say you fighting in melee with monsters in a dungeon - if it really happen, you would have to make decision in split second whether to dodge or parry with shield. While during coop games (pnp rpg-like: Descent, Rise of Moloch) its quite common to make a half hour, full table debate what everyone should do now. Its not only time consuming, mental slog, that take away individual player independency in making own decision - its also not exciting = not fun.

but we winning, we achieve something
the victory goals of games is just an excuse, to go through some exciting process. Which is more fun, when you have to wait less to make your turn (turn/time = fun).

Board games are mostly turn based, with some of them being simultaneous. And here excellent mechanic has 7 wonders or Game of Thrones, where players make decisions in same time.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Analysis paralysis and downtime between turns can be a real issue. Some games can play 5 for 6 but would take ages if you did. Grand Austria Hotel falls into that category. 3-4 players seems to be the sweet spot for most board games.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I had a boardgame project for my world history students last year. Most of the games I got for them were the Knizia classics (Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai, Medici) but Concordia was new for me and really great. Concordia really puts you in a strategic role, making the sort of decisions you would make as the head of a feudal society clan. T&E was extremely popular with the boys but not that popular with the girls, who enjoy building monuments instead of war.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What have ya'll been playng
Since we discovered it in my group, we have been playing Space Empires 4X non stop for 60 games (ie around 300h play time).
It is entirely focused on destroying the opposing team, and the incomplete information really elevates it to the next level (you don't know what is in each enemy group until you enter combat against them. You don't know what each opponent has researched until it is used against you).
We haven't touched Nexus Ops, Starcraft: The Board Game, Forbidden Stars Eclipse, Quartermaster General and Twilight Imperium since I got it.
I cannot recommend it enough, especially if you are into 4X (on computer or board games).

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've been jumping around games for years. My go-to are Santorini and Summoner Wars for 2 players, Cosmic Encounter for middle-core players, Coup as a pasttime game, and Dominion vs AI on my phone. I still haven't found that heavy strategy game I can play over and over, although I'm curious about Blood Rage and Root.

Nuroshima Hex on mobile is weird in that the hard AI cheats, and other levels aren't competitive enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom