Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Bogarash [Early Access]: RT medieval hack&slash RPG for Windows

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Hello codex! I finally got the courage to post about my game here, devs should be brave right? :D

Premise: "The land has prospered and the people have lived in peace for forty years. But the Tzar is old now and a ruthless Bolyar seeks the throne. He encourages banditry and harasses the peasants in order to undermine the authority of the royal dynasty. But that's not enough to become Tzar, the Bolyar needs to have a legitimate claim. He searches for an ancient document, known as the 'Nominalia of the Rulers'."

Features:
- Prerendered sprites in isometric perspective.
- Real-time combat and exploration.
- 2 classes(close combat male and female archer).
- Randomly generated dungeons.
- Loot and inventory utilizing multi-slot items.
- Skill and leveling system with 4 base attributes.
- Dozen quests and NPCs grouped into 2 towns/chapters.
- Voice-acted dialogues in english.

You can get it from here: https://yanbg.itch.io/bogarash
Let me know your thoughts in the comments bellow!

Screenshot_1.1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot.5.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Actually, I like how it looks. It's got charm. And the game itself also looks solid enough. I think the big thing with Diablo clones is the animations - it's about that visceral flow of non-stop fast-moving hack and slash, which gets a bit of a downer when it looks like enemies keel over dead the moment you touch them.

Also, talking heads! When's the last time we saw those in an indie game?

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah if someone smeared vaseline in your eyes and replaced all the art with Twinsen's Odyssey.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Howdy! I'm still working on the game and i plan to put it on Steam Greenlight but first i want to update the graphics and polish it. The new way of playing the intro will be with slides(there will be drawings on the right):
oTw9Vb0.png

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Wouldn't play the game just because of that font.

Eye bleeding would be the least of the symptoms that would come from reading it.

Also those models and the overall style of the graphics makes me think of those old Bible Story games, or Veggie Tales or something cheesy and creepily wholesome and amateur.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
After your feedback i've been updating some of the graphics, what do you think of these new models(enemies, female and male character) and tiles(walls, floor), still crappy or even worse? :D

ScreenshotNew.png

ScreenshotNew2.png

ScreenshotNew1.png

The environments need more work.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
For new name, what about Orenda? It's the essence or spiritual power of your slain enemies :D

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
An update on what i was working. Thoughts?

ScreenshotMM.png

ScreenshotLG.1.png
Second image is the load game screen.

ScreenshotF.png
The paper doll system is from before but i updated it to the new model/anatomy and with a better rendering process it's easier to make more items and for more characters.

ScreenshotD.png
There are more than 2 options but they require higher values in the different stats to show up. Also added mini-games, like gambling(roll the dice) with the guards.

Due to a popular demand there is a 3rd class, he is intelligent and can (en)chant or perform rituals to sway his enemies.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Long time no see! :D

I'm back to share more of the prosperity i've been working on. Graphics are still very early, but i'm switching to "fully" procedural open world. Towns and amount of houses/npc can vary and they will change each time(affecting side quests). I plan to have no area transitions, about 2048x2048 tiles in total. Do you think it's enough for medium-sized indie rpg?

Retrospective: 2 years ago i placed all objects by hand, but since changes happen i then switched to placing with code but it wasn't modular, e.g. 2 houses and each was hardcoded separately.
Now i can loop to place them randomly but keeping 2 tiles distance, then tile the roof aswell, just using the width and length. The world use grid with color values for each type of tile, generatated with perlin noise(to make it less blocky).

75hg14I.jpg

Last edited:
Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Thank you :) I've been thinking of adding traits in addition to the skill system. Also i have plans for extending the main quest/storyline, maybe something like advanced political system between the towns and NPCs and option for the player to choose sides. But it won't be the usual good vs evil(i never liked that path). Here is an update, added roads and doors to the houses, also more NPC skins:
GoL3Qrx.jpg

Have you started on the battle system yet? I just kicked mine off. I decided to go with turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom