Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bolt Riley - A Reggae Adventure Game - Chapter 1 Now Available

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Anyone see this kickstarter yet? It's another adventure game with Corey and Lori Cole, but it's not their project. Apparently this is the game that they were working on before their kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soundguy/bolt-riley-a-reggae-adventure-game?ref=category

EDIT - Made my post less dickish since it turned out the Coles did work on this before their kickstarter.

Last edited:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Sounds interesting. Not sure it's worth backing, though.

Redlands

Arcane
The setting is pretty unique, and didn't everyone want a traditional PoC adventure from the Coles in the first place?

I'm assuming you meant PnC, but it's possible you don't and I somehow ended up on tumblr instead... XD

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's a beautiful looking game, the enthusiasm seems great, and it's a novel concept -- for those reasons, I backed it. That said, a part of me wonders how well this particularly team (Oded plus the Coles) will do with an all-black cast of characters in a setting that is cartoonish and, evidently, heavily reliant on ethnic / regional tropes. Oded certainly seems to be coming from the right place (i.e., we're not talking about the Jim Crow birds in Dumbo or Why is the Red Man Red? in Peter Pan), but I'm not sure how much that would ultimately count. I grew up watching Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, but if that show came out today and was not a Cosby-created, -voiced, -presented, and -produced show, and it would (probably rightly) provoke some controversy, irrespective of the intentions. Despite these misgivings, it looks great and if they pull it off, I think it will be something special.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, the PC side of it is their concern, not mine (Oded has described overcoming racism as one of the game's main themes); if they provoke protests, it's not going to bother me one way or the other. My concern is if it's just terrible, which I think there is a much greater chance of it being when you have these guys writing these characters. (One reason I prefer to write about fantasy settings is that I'm just not convinced I can write real-world people who are radically different from me.) Of course, the setting and content are what make it an exciting game, too.

I'm not sure that the QFG2-4 counterexample is particularly convincing. All of those are fantasy settings. QFG2 wasn't set in a funny version of 1980s Baghdad, it was set in the Arabian Nights fantasy setting; QFG3 wasn't set in Africa, in the 1960s Congo or something, it was set in a mythical era of the kind Harold Courlander was writing about in Master of the Forge; and QFG4 was just set in fantasy Transylvania. All of those are fantasy settings, replete with stock characters. I don't think there's any cultural advantage that any group has over another group in writing such characters, and there's a high level of comfort with those characters being drawn with exaggerated characteristics (I remember a review of Drag Me to Hell complaining that apparently Sam Raimi thought that gypsies were fantasy characters like leprechauns, but basically people seem pretty comfortable with that type). I'm not sure that writing Igor-clones and Aladdin-clones prepares you for writing about corrupt local police officers in Jamaica.

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a beautiful looking game, the enthusiasm seems great, and it's a novel concept -- for those reasons, I backed it. That said, a part of me wonders how well this particularly team (Oded plus the Coles) will do with an all-black cast of characters in a setting that is cartoonish and, evidently, heavily reliant on ethnic / regional tropes. Oded certainly seems to be coming from the right place (i.e., we're not talking about the Jim Crow birds in Dumbo or Why is the Red Man Red? in Peter Pan), but I'm not sure how much that would ultimately count. I grew up watching Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, but if that show came out today and was not a Cosby-created, -voiced, -presented, and -produced show, and it would (probably rightly) provoke some controversy, irrespective of the intentions. Despite these misgivings, it looks great and if they pull it off, I think it will be something special.
The Journey Down was all about using African culture, and it was made by a bunch of Swedish guys. It was also pretty damn good. There's no particular reason it can't be done, as long as they do their research.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That is a great game, but it's also a fantasy game. And (perhaps this is showing my own PC stripes), I wasn't a huge fan of the sushi chef. (Although my understanding is that they toned it down slightly in the commercial release, which I've bought but not played through yet.)

kaizoku

Arcane
I can't into that setting...

I simply don't find it interesting.

There isn't anything to pull me in.

They want to talk about racism.
Pull a District 9!
Now, that is some serious business.

edit: the graphics are great though

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, I'll just leave it at my being nervous but excited about the game. No sense in belaboring things! I hope they pull it off, for my selfish sake as a backer as well as their sake as passionate developers.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New update about the "chapters".

Chapter 2 (written by Lori and Corey Cole)
Starting his new life, Bolt has to form his band, get the band’s musical instruments, and find inspiration for his songs.
This chapter will be produced is we reach a stretch goal of $500,000. Backers will receive both chapters one and two with their pledge, basically getting a game that is twice as long.

Ouch.

SoundGuy

Adventure Mob
Developer
Hey, Oded here.
First, thank you for those who backed and those who are planning to back this project.

We worked with the Coles on this in 2011. This was before we ran out of fund, and before we work with Replay on Larry. The Coles were involved in the design of all the game (including chapter 1) were part of writing the entire story.
It's expensive to make games. If chapter one succeed or if we reach the stretch goal we will make chapter 2. Without your help , this will not happen.

Chapter one is nearly complete. I am working on a gameplay video, and you'll be able to see for yourself that we have created a PoC PnC that appeals to everyone, is not racist and indstead deals with racial issues. (Bolt father is half white, and he has been taunted for that, for example)
We have done TONS of research about Jamiaca, reggae culture, Rastafarianism.
The Journey down made by sweeds is a great example. QFG 3 was all in Africa, with mostly black or liontaurs.
As someone wrote on Polygon article comments - there were no pirates working on the production of Monkey Island. Also i dont' think you need to be a psycho serial killer to write a good murder story.

I assure you two things - the existence of this game does not only not interfere with Hero-u , in fact, as Corey mentoined it, was the catalyst for Hero-u as they got paid to work on this game years before they even conceived it.
We are making an awesome game. I've made some adventure games in the past with low budget and this game, being one with a higher budget will be great. (and the parts that are ready already are).

feel free to ask me any questions.
and thanks again for your support.

Peace,
Oded

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SoundGuy So, is this the first blue and white "higher budget" adventure game since the days of מחשבת?

article_paragraph_thumb_1910115.jpg

:hero:

SoundGuy

Adventure Mob
Developer
SoundGuy So, is this the first blue and white "higher budget" adventure game since the days of מחשבת?
wow that brings back memories.

well, i did make Zbang and Pizza Morgana here in Israel so two previous blue-white adventure games. Zbang especially.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, I'll just leave it at my being nervous but excited about the game. No sense in belaboring things! I hope they pull it off, for my selfish sake as a backer as well as their sake as passionate developers.
You sure do ring your hands a lot about other indie adventure games being shitty. Even post-release.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Wow, that series of comments is wild and overall rather depressing. That said, it contains this amazing exchange:
Jonathan Yalon: Paul, haven't you got something better to do except for threatening and slandering fellow adventure gamers and developers?
Paul Trowe: Not at midnight, no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom