Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by sullynathan, Mar 2, 2017.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

Infinitron
    Yeah, keep buying their products after they shit on you, that'll show them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Anything singleplayer I honestly don't see why it matters, but yeah for something like Boderlands 3 I could see waiting to play with your current friends list and online feature set.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Infinitron
    Because Epic is the devil.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dexter Arcane

Infinitron
    IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT DOESN'T MATTER! LOOK HOW MUCH I AM TALKING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN'T MATTER, WHICH PROVES HOW NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT! Also all the retarded articles and reactions from the usual suspects and butthurt on-the-record reply from the CEO of said company, that ironically makes him look like an entitled manchild are just more proof of how nobody cares about it. Look, I just need to repeat how it doesn't matter, which will automatically make it true! Also, obviously all the people who did it are the same people that Pre-Ordered the "Super Deluxe $200 Edition", it's true because I say so! And they'll stop existing if we don't count their thousands of angry reviews to the overall score (If you don't change the "Review Score Settings" that is.), with the reason behind them disappearing too!

Next time another large company does anything anti-consumer, It's better that nobody so much as raise their voice or even think about communicating their displeasure in any effective or visible manner, because it doesn't matter and LOL just give up and accept it, bro! It's for the best!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Brofist x 5
    • "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Infinitron
    I mean that's demonstrably false since Randy was crying about it, but it depends on the "They" in question. They who made the exclusivity deal probably don't give a shit, but they who make Borderlands are clearly impacted by it which may be enough to satisfy the people who are review bombing since the audience (Presumably) feels cheated and upset themselves by the news and want Randy Bobandy to feel the same.

Although now I see Dexter already commented on this but I typed this reply as I was reading the previous page so fuck you buddy I'm posting it anyway! :M

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Yes but that's exactly my point, the people who matter don't care. I don't mean no one cares because look at any PC focused forum right now, people are apeshit. Either for valid reasons (missing features) or fanboy reasons (EVYTHING ON STEEM!!!) some percentage of people do care. My point is these reviews don't effect the people who actually matter, all they do is annoy the people reading them (which granted for a 7 year old game is very few) and cause a PR ruckus that pisses the actual developers off, who can't change anything. The 2K money-men I talked about above are fine, they knew this would piss some people off and did it anyway, because monies and the vast majority will buy it anyway. The exclusive payoff and added share revenue will almost surely surpass the few people die-hard enough to not buy the game.

That said this could be proven wrong, and I'd love to see it, if the sales suck as a result and they lose revenue overall as a result. I don't think that will happen, but it would be cool if it did.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dexter Arcane

Infinitron

In the end, maybe the new review system that's thankfully easy to disable might prove to be a blessing in disguise, "review bombings" are quickly forgotten and often barely dent the overall score as new reviews start being positive again etc., but the "SCUMBAG DEV" symbol is forever.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    I support Valve's free market ideals, but there IS something to be said for curation. The sheer tidal wave of shit software on Steam can make it hard to tell which indie games are actually decent.

• Agree x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sykar Arcane

Infinitron
    So I did not buy the Pre-Sequel because it reeked of cash grab and now it seems like I will stay far away from BL 3. A pity but I do not support such scumbag behaviour.

• Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Irata Learned

Infinitron
    I'm fine with Valve letting anything on their platform. I just wish their filters actually filtered stuff out. I still see Japanese cartoon games and "story rich" walking simulator stuff. Sometimes they'll grey out games that match the filters, but they're visible enough that you can easily see it. They don't actually want to remove products from your view on the off chance you might buy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Yeah I don't have a problem with selling everything in theory, but I just feel like I'm drowning in shite recommendations on there. They constantly suggest online games to me despite me not really owning any and telling them to filter them out. I pretty much buy three genres (RPG, FPS, Adventure) and yet I have to see a constant stream of puzzle game phone ports and weird ass Japanese dating sims or whatever else. If the store functioned better I'd have no problem with others getting what they want from it, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Dedicated_Dark Learned

Infinitron
    Steam in a nutshell. I wouldn't want to put a game I worked hard for, in a steaming pile of shit. And all the good games are going to get drowned out due to the sheer amount of shit in there.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Reinhardt Arcane

Infinitron
    Agree. Why ask big corp to pay for everything when you can just sell all 12 copies from your own site.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dedicated_Dark Learned

Infinitron
    Put in on GOG.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Infinitron
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    "When I buy something, I want less options to choose from because I'm unable to decide by myself what I like and what I don't like."

• Brofist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. The Decline Arcane

Infinitron
    Steam needs a better search algorithm. Removing games I own and games I've ignored from searches would be a huge QoL improvement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Turjan Arcane

Infinitron
    Borderlands 3 available for pre-purchase on Green Man Gaming:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-3-pc/

As an Epic Games key.

Of course, I don't expect any good discounts on this, as that will be hard to do on the small margin that's left for stores in this case.

^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Good though that they are selling keys elsewhere finally. That's one thing people complained about that I assumed would be "fixed" eventually. I agree there won't be discounts before launch, but down the line it will be the same "where is it on sale today?" situation as Steamworks games are.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tehdagah Arcane

Infinitron
    Review system are meant to review games, not to express your butthurt over platform favoritism.

• butthurt x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. TheChickenKing Learned

Infinitron
    Isn't it a valid criticism of a game in a franchise to not be able to purchase subsequent games on preferred platforms? I have few horses in the Valve Vs. Epic race, but not being able to purchase a full series of games on a particular DRM platform strikes me as being a frustrating annoyance for many consumers. You could note that this might not be a huge deal to most consumers, but it will annoy a lot of people and it could influence sales. So, a potential customer can... look at reviews, figure out what the problem is, and decide for themselves. Sure, people can use review systems stupidly. Sure, they aren't always the most informed opinions. But arbitrarily deciding to cut them out in some attempt to differentiate "reviewing games" from "talking about an issue related to the purchasing decision of a game and its sequels" is absurd and blatantly sketchy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. passerby Savant

Infinitron
    I can repeat it periodically, Valve could just drop their cut by 10% and no publisher/dev would want exclusivity outside it and Epic would stop paying for exclusives, since it would be money down the drain at that point. Simple as that, steamtards rage is completely misplaced.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. abija Liturgist

Infinitron
    What kind of logic is that? If Valve's cut was such a big deal Epic wouldn't have to pay for exclusives...

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. passerby Savant

Infinitron
    10% more revenue can mean like ~20-30% more RoI for an average game production investment, *if* the sales numbers were the same as on Steam.
    That's a really big if, so without Epic taking the risk, by providing "insurance" through minimum unit sales guarantee, no one would take this bet.
    Epic counts on majority of gamers getting used to buying exclusives there eventually, so the "insurance" won't be necessary in the future.

Of course Steam won't cut in half their profits just like that. Valve will wait untill it start to loose significant enough share of the market, hoping Epic's plan will fail thanks to Steam users platform loyalty, so reduction of the revenue cut won't be necessary.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dexter Arcane

Infinitron
    Good example of this happening here btw.: https://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/Assassins_Creed_Unity/#app_reviews_hash

AssCreed: Unity has an Overall Review Score of "Mixed" with 61%, but lately they've been getting "Very Positive" reviews at 87%.

Why did this happen? Did they suddenly release some huge Patch that made the game (which was originally released in 2014) much better? Going by most of the late reviews it seems to be about UbiSoft offering the game for Free on uPlay and the Notre Dame nearly burning down, followed by UbiSoft donating to the rebuilding efforts:
    Does anyone think their fancy "off-topic review activity" algorithm will kick in in this case? Fat chance, which makes it a de-facto biased algorithm for the purpose of shilling and boosting positive review scores while only being used to filter negative customer opinions and sentiments and shows that in reality it's got nothing to do with "off-topic reviews".

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Plaguecrafter Novice

Infinitron
    I was thinking the same the other day when those reviews started happening. If the reviews are good, no matter the context, then it's all fine. If they are bad, however, then it's off-topic. What a great system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)