Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's funny, though. The two games I actually considered D1P'ing this year were BL3 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, both of which are now Epic exclusives. Happy to wait it out in light of that circumstance.

Anything singleplayer I honestly don't see why it matters, but yeah for something like Boderlands 3 I could see waiting to play with your current friends list and online feature set.

Dexter

Arcane
Review bombing is moronic. If people really want to send a message they won't buy BL3 on Epic. But I'd wager a bunch of people who are review bombing have already preordered the super deluxe $200 edition.

Indeed. The point is that review bombing is just noise that no one really cares about. Maybe you're so ragey it makes you feel good, fine, but don't pretend it accomplishes anything other than annoying others with your rage. I'm not even defending the Epic thing, it sounds like their client isn't ready for a game like this and that sucks, but review bombing is a stupid, immature reaction. Not that I expect anyone raging about this to understand that no matter how much I prattle on.
IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT DOESN'T MATTER! LOOK HOW MUCH I AM TALKING ABOUT HOW IT DOESN'T MATTER, WHICH PROVES HOW NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT! Also all the retarded articles and reactions from the usual suspects and butthurt on-the-record reply from the CEO of said company, that ironically makes him look like an entitled manchild are just more proof of how nobody cares about it. Look, I just need to repeat how it doesn't matter, which will automatically make it true! Also, obviously all the people who did it are the same people that Pre-Ordered the "Super Deluxe $200 Edition", it's true because I say so! And they'll stop existing if we don't count their thousands of angry reviews to the overall score (If you don't change the "Review Score Settings" that is.), with the reason behind them disappearing too!

Next time another large company does anything anti-consumer, It's better that nobody so much as raise their voice or even think about communicating their displeasure in any effective or visible manner, because it doesn't matter and LOL just give up and accept it, bro! It's for the best!

Last edited:
They don't give a shit.
I mean that's demonstrably false since Randy was crying about it, but it depends on the "They" in question. They who made the exclusivity deal probably don't give a shit, but they who make Borderlands are clearly impacted by it which may be enough to satisfy the people who are review bombing since the audience (Presumably) feels cheated and upset themselves by the news and want Randy Bobandy to feel the same.

Although now I see Dexter already commented on this but I typed this reply as I was reading the previous page so fuck you buddy I'm posting it anyway! :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mean that's demonstrably false since Randy was crying about it, but it depends on the "They" in question. They who made the exclusivity deal probably don't give a shit, but they who make Borderlands are clearly impacted by it which may be enough to satisfy the people who are review bombing since the audience (Presumably) feels cheated and upset themselves by the news and want Randy Bobandy to feel the same.

Yes but that's exactly my point, the people who matter don't care. I don't mean no one cares because look at any PC focused forum right now, people are apeshit. Either for valid reasons (missing features) or fanboy reasons (EVYTHING ON STEEM!!!) some percentage of people do care. My point is these reviews don't effect the people who actually matter, all they do is annoy the people reading them (which granted for a 7 year old game is very few) and cause a PR ruckus that pisses the actual developers off, who can't change anything. The 2K money-men I talked about above are fine, they knew this would piss some people off and did it anyway, because monies and the vast majority will buy it anyway. The exclusive payoff and added share revenue will almost surely surpass the few people die-hard enough to not buy the game.

That said this could be proven wrong, and I'd love to see it, if the sales suck as a result and they lose revenue overall as a result. I don't think that will happen, but it would be cool if it did.

Dexter

Arcane

Pg0mjiQ.png
In the end, maybe the new review system that's thankfully easy to disable might prove to be a blessing in disguise, "review bombings" are quickly forgotten and often barely dent the overall score as new reviews start being positive again etc., but the "SCUMBAG DEV" symbol is forever.
mpYclYC.jpg

Irata

Scholar
I support Valve's free market ideals, but there IS something to be said for curation. The sheer tidal wave of shit software on Steam can make it hard to tell which indie games are actually decent.

I'm fine with Valve letting anything on their platform. I just wish their filters actually filtered stuff out. I still see Japanese cartoon games and "story rich" walking simulator stuff. Sometimes they'll grey out games that match the filters, but they're visible enough that you can easily see it. They don't actually want to remove products from your view on the off chance you might buy it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm fine with Valve letting anything on their platform. I just wish their filters actually filtered stuff out. I still see Japanese cartoon games and "story rich" walking simulator stuff. Sometimes they'll grey out games that match the filters, but they're visible enough that you can easily see it. They don't actually want to remove products from your view on the off chance you might buy it.

Yeah I don't have a problem with selling everything in theory, but I just feel like I'm drowning in shite recommendations on there. They constantly suggest online games to me despite me not really owning any and telling them to filter them out. I pretty much buy three genres (RPG, FPS, Adventure) and yet I have to see a constant stream of puzzle game phone ports and weird ass Japanese dating sims or whatever else. If the store functioned better I'd have no problem with others getting what they want from it, obviously.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I support Valve's free market ideals, but there IS something to be said for curation. The sheer tidal wave of shit software on Steam can make it hard to tell which indie games are actually decent.

"When I buy something, I want less options to choose from because I'm unable to decide by myself what I like and what I don't like."

The Decline

Arcane
Steam needs a better search algorithm. Removing games I own and games I've ignored from searches would be a huge QoL improvement.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good though that they are selling keys elsewhere finally. That's one thing people complained about that I assumed would be "fixed" eventually. I agree there won't be discounts before launch, but down the line it will be the same "where is it on sale today?" situation as Steamworks games are.

Tehdagah

Arcane

In the end, maybe the new review system that's thankfully easy to disable might prove to be a blessing in disguise, "review bombings" are quickly forgotten and often barely dent the overall score as new reviews start being positive again etc., but the "SCUMBAG DEV" symbol is forever.
mpYclYC.jpg

Review system are meant to review games, not to express your butthurt over platform favoritism.

Isn't it a valid criticism of a game in a franchise to not be able to purchase subsequent games on preferred platforms? I have few horses in the Valve Vs. Epic race, but not being able to purchase a full series of games on a particular DRM platform strikes me as being a frustrating annoyance for many consumers. You could note that this might not be a huge deal to most consumers, but it will annoy a lot of people and it could influence sales. So, a potential customer can... look at reviews, figure out what the problem is, and decide for themselves. Sure, people can use review systems stupidly. Sure, they aren't always the most informed opinions. But arbitrarily deciding to cut them out in some attempt to differentiate "reviewing games" from "talking about an issue related to the purchasing decision of a game and its sequels" is absurd and blatantly sketchy.

passerby

Arcane
I can repeat it periodically, Valve could just drop their cut by 10% and no publisher/dev would want exclusivity outside it and Epic would stop paying for exclusives, since it would be money down the drain at that point. Simple as that, steamtards rage is completely misplaced.

abija

Prophet
What kind of logic is that? If Valve's cut was such a big deal Epic wouldn't have to pay for exclusives...

passerby

Arcane
10% more revenue can mean like ~20-30% more RoI for an average game production investment, *if* the sales numbers were the same as on Steam.
That's a really big if, so without Epic taking the risk, by providing "insurance" through minimum unit sales guarantee, no one would take this bet.
Epic counts on majority of gamers getting used to buying exclusives there eventually, so the "insurance" won't be necessary in the future.

Of course Steam won't cut in half their profits just like that. Valve will wait untill it start to loose significant enough share of the market, hoping Epic's plan will fail thanks to Steam users platform loyalty, so reduction of the revenue cut won't be necessary.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
The thing is that you don't get to decide what a legitimate complaint is for anyone (nor should Valve, why they have to step in and decide what is "legitimate" and "illegitimate" consumer feedback is beyond me - this always ends up as a slippery slope, just like "hateful content" and it's obviously a biased endeavour for the purpose of damage control from the start, since it's not going to consider any positive reviews as "review bombings" and just remove negative ones to boost review scores). If they bought a game that contained the color red too much, and they disliked the color red and complain about it, that's as valid a review as any other and the top reviews on a game's store page are decided by vote tallies, so if 50+ people agreed that there's too much red in the game and didn't agree with "John Q. Normie", that'll be at the top.
Good example of this happening here btw.: https://store.steampowered.com/app/289650/Assassins_Creed_Unity/#app_reviews_hash

AssCreed: Unity has an Overall Review Score of "Mixed" with 61%, but lately they've been getting "Very Positive" reviews at 87%.

Why did this happen? Did they suddenly release some huge Patch that made the game (which was originally released in 2014) much better? Going by most of the late reviews it seems to be about UbiSoft offering the game for Free on uPlay and the Notre Dame nearly burning down, followed by UbiSoft donating to the rebuilding efforts:
Assassin's Creed Unity is currently free at Uplay from April 17th until April 25th
Thanks Ubisoft & Assassin's Creed Unity for giving us an opportunity to appreciate what Notre Dame used to be.
God bless France.
Reconstruction of Notre Dame
Worker A: Do we need to build this catacomb?
Worker B: I don't know, Ubisoft painted it on the drawings.
Ubisoft just said that this game is free for one week according to what happened with Notre Dame.They also donated 500'000k eur.
this game is free in the ubisoft store until april 25th
Does anyone think their fancy "off-topic review activity" algorithm will kick in in this case? Fat chance, which makes it a de-facto biased algorithm for the purpose of shilling and boosting positive review scores while only being used to filter negative customer opinions and sentiments and shows that in reality it's got nothing to do with "off-topic reviews".

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Does anyone think their fancy "off-topic review activity" algorithm will kick in in this case? Fat chance, which makes it a de-facto biased algorithm for the purpose of shilling and boosting positive review scores while only being used to filter negative customer opinions and sentiments and shows that in reality it's got nothing to do with "off-topic reviews".

I was thinking the same the other day when those reviews started happening. If the reviews are good, no matter the context, then it's all fine. If they are bad, however, then it's off-topic. What a great system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom