Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

Codex Year of the Donut
If anything this will just end up being even worse for them. Instead of clearly voicing their complaints people will just leave "bad game" reviews to avoid being removed/not counted.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't know who this Chet dude is, but he has me blocked even though I'm pretty sure I never interacted with him so yeah.

Codex Year of the Donut
Videogames are the largest entertainment industry in the world, and the customers are treated like shit. The moment the customers wrangled any power whatsoever, the developers & publishers threw a complete shitfit.

developers: here's half of a game, we'll sell you the rest piece by piece in DLC if the first half sells well enough. Don't forget to pre-order it for bonuses. Oh what's that? Our buggy unfinished half of a game didn't sell well enough? Well enjoy your half of a game that will never get wrapped up.
developers: install our publisher-specific client that repeatedly scans your entire file system to play our games.
developers: instead of content, here's lootboxes!
developers: how about some invasive DRM in products you paid for? Feels good to be treated like a thief after you pay for it, eh?
developers: here's some always-online DRM for a singleplayer game too.
developers: we got paid off to exclusively sell our game on a chinese spyware platform that caters specifically to us and shits on the customer, but don't worry it's good for you.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what might prompt customers to use the only outlet they have available to voice their displeasure with the state of the industry. Shame on them.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing is that you don't get to decide what a legitimate complaint is for anyone (nor should Valve, why they have to step in and decide what is "legitimate" and "illegitimate" consumer feedback is beyond me). If they bought a game that contained the color red too much, and they disliked the color red and complain about it, that's as valid a review as any other and the top reviews on a game's store page are decided by vote tallies, so if 50+ people agreed that there's too much red in the game and didn't agree with "John Q. Normie".

I agree 100%, but it has to apply to the fucking game you're reviewing. These don't.

That's right! They should leave a review for Borderlands 3 in the Epic Games Store!!

Uh... what? They don't allow reviews?

Er, ok... Then leave a comment on the dedicated forum for the game in the Epic Games Store.

Shit, for real? Not even a dedicated forum to discuss the game?

What's the closest thing? Borderlands 2 on Steam.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's right! They should leave a review for Borderlands 3 in the Epic Games Store!!

Er, ok... Then leave a comment on the dedicated forum for the game in the Epic Games Store.

I find it hilarious that you think there's no other way to get this information/grievance out there other than reviewing an old game on Steam, and are snarky about said bullshit thought process.

Codex Year of the Donut

I find it hilarious that you think there's no other way to get this information/grievance out there other than reviewing an old game on Steam, and are snarky about said bullshit thought process.
They could tweet it at them and promptly be ignored.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

You think review-bombing an old game on Steam is actually going to do something? Even if Gaben hadn't cock-blocked you it still would mean fuck all. It's not like they don't know they're pissing some people off, and that some of those people would go full butthurt over it. That was all factored in from day one of negotiations with Epic. They don't give a shit. As Infinitron said, only thing that matters is sales. If the Epic sales are disappointing and eventual Steam sales are lower than expected they'll notice that. Nothing else.

You guys think you're "activists" but you're just whiny bitches.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

And what would these other ways you speak of be, exactly? Sending a tweet? Posting about it on scattered, irrelevant message boards across the internet?

I find it sad that you think it's alright for the store you buy your shit from, to not allow reviews so potential customers can't be informed of what exactly are they getting for their money.

Codex Year of the Donut

You think review-bombing an old game on Steam is actually going to do something? Even if Gaben hadn't cock-blocked you it still would mean fuck all. It's not like they don't know they're pissing some people off, and that some of those people would go full butthurt over it. That was all factored in from day one of negotiations with Epic. They don't give a shit. As Infinitron said, only thing that matters is sales. If the Epic sales are disappointing and eventual Steam sales are lower than expected they'll notice that. Nothing else.

You guys think you're "activists" but you're just whiny bitches.
how does the boot taste?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh, the irony. The only one whining like a bitch here is you.

Ah, the old "you're whining about my whining so I'm not whining IN YOUR FACE!!!!" defense.

Whatever dude, keep changing the world with your passionate reviews of Borderlands 2. Surely the 2k executives are distracted from their margaritas in the Bahamas right now, unable to relax because they're so stressed you're going to take down their business with one cutting review after another. "2K Games closed its doors today after 200 devastating Steam reviews were posted for its seven year old game, Borderlands 2. Activists were irate that they couldn't buy the sequel on their chosen DRM outlet, and promptly shut the whole system down with their passionate rage. More as this breaking news develops..."

Jezal_k23

I agree that review bombing BL2 is ridiculous and a complete waste of time. Hilariously, it doesn't even count toward the game's score on Steam anymore. Not only that, but all negative reviews during the review bombing period are hidden. That should outline exactly just how utterly pointless review bombing is.

Pg0mjiQ.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I agree that review bombing BL2 is ridiculous and a complete waste of time. Hilariously, it doesn't even count toward the game's score on Steam anymore. Not only that, but all negative reviews during the review bombing period are hidden. That should outline exactly just how utterly pointless review bombing is.

Pg0mjiQ.png
What do you mean? The publisher and developer got the message. Mission accomplished. Now how they use the information is up to them, but at least the customers got heard since they made a big enough stink.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Review bombing is moronic. If people really want to send a message they won't buy BL3 on Epic. But I'd wager a bunch of people who are review bombing have already preordered the super deluxe $200 edition.

Jezal_k23

Pg0mjiQ.png
What do you mean? The publisher and developer got the message. Mission accomplished. Now how they use the information is up to them, but at least the customers got heard since they made a big enough stink.

Mission accomplished? You mean Randy Pitchford going "herp derp I'm glad we went over to Epic, this completely validates all of our decisions"? It would have been better not to have done anything. Review bombing did not help. I still think it's pointless.

Codex Year of the Donut

Pg0mjiQ.png

Mission accomplished? You mean Randy Pitchford going "herp derp I'm glad we went over to Epic, this completely validates all of our decisions"? It would have been better not to have done anything. Review bombing did not help. I still think it's pointless.
Compared to not even getting a response otherwise?
Yeah, that's mission accomplished.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Review bombing is moronic. If people really want to send a message they won't buy BL3 on Epic. But I'd wager a bunch of people who are review bombing have already preordered the super deluxe $200 edition.
yep, if they make up 2 and a half times the sales of the previous installment like Metro Exodus did from people that post how angry they are on steam forums then just go in there buying on the Epic store out of retarded impulse, who the fuck cares about review bombing of a dead game like Borderlands 2? If people are that mad they should stop sending money Epic's way but people are a bunch of headless sheep.

Codex Year of the Donut
yep, if they make up 2 and a half times the sales of the previous installment like Metro Exodus did
2 and a half times previous installment* **

* -- compared to the non-redux version that released 6 years ago during which the video game industry has grown massively.
** -- when including steam preorders as sales

Here's a tip: If they don't release hard numbers, then it tanked. If they try to use bullshit like this to twist it to look like a success, then it really tanked.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Indeed. The point is that review bombing is just noise that no one really cares about. Maybe you're so ragey it makes you feel good, fine, but don't pretend it accomplishes anything other than annoying others with your rage. I'm not even defending the Epic thing, it sounds like their client isn't ready for a game like this and that sucks, but review bombing is a stupid, immature reaction. Not that I expect anyone raging about this to understand that no matter how much I prattle on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's funny, though. The two games I actually considered D1P'ing this year were BL3 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, both of which are now Epic exclusives. Happy to wait it out in light of that circumstance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom