Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Bored's Tale : Balls Deep

haderlump

Literate
Unfortunately, the "great new game with consistent Daggerfall graphics" would most likely be made with Unity, be at least 30gb large and run slower and less stable on modern high end PC's than the original Daggerfall did back in the day.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately, the "great new game with consistent Daggerfall graphics" would most likely be made with Unity, be at least 30gb large and run slower and less stable on modern high end PC's than the original Daggerfall did back in the day.
Meh, not all games made in Unity are like that. There are a few that had a few skilled programmers on board.
And I would argue that someone who (most likely alone or almost alone) makes a game with the conscious decision of proper retro art, is more likely to be old and/or experienced enough to actually understand something about software architecture.
As much as our Cleve here is a nutjob, I'd bet he could actually explain what a cache miss is or why storing everything in a map (the data type, obviously) could be a terrible idea. (Those are the kind of questions I'd ask every programmer in an interview instead of some language or library specifics, I'm not kidding)
I would also bet 90% of game developers/"programmers" these days could not.

Last edited:

Themadcow

Augur
BT4's environments, once out of the starting area, are pretty nice. Character models on the other hand look like someone has accidentally ticked "downs syndrome" as the default setting.

But generally the game is a bit of a mess - performance, game breaking bugs, insanely large patches, devs blaming the backers for bad design, actual design being managed by a guy with no relevant experience, crap combat, crap character creation, crap skills, no random encounters, an ill conceived save system, waaaaay too many puzzles. Grimoire, for all it's faults, is a far better dungeon crawler than BT4. It's not even close.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Nintentard detected.

I never owned any home Nintendo console other than the NES. Plus Gameboy, NDS, 3DS. Those 4 are the Nintendo systems i ever owned, so hardly "nintentard". It just so happens that Super Mario Bros 3 was my favourite game as a kid on my NES so when i saw it in the selection for profile pictures i picked it. This does not make me a "nintentard". It just makes you a retard.

Eddas

Learned

Nintentard detected.

I never owned any home Nintendo console other than the NES. Plus Gameboy, NDS, 3DS. Those 4 are the Nintendo systems i ever owned, so hardly "nintentard". It just so happens that Super Mario Bros 3 was my favourite game as a kid on my NES so when i saw it in the selection for profile pictures i picked it. This does not make me a "nintentard". It just makes you a retard.

I picked Dirk the Inkeep because it reminds me of my favourite bartender growing up. Oh, and in the internet, everyone is retarded. Especially here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yuppers.... Derpity derp derp...

SMB was my sisters fav game. Co-op we both enjoyed the hell out of Mario Bro the original game and not the SMB franchise.

I’m a gen Xer so I had a NES in the 80s but moved to Genesis and it’s franken setup. Go 3 fucking power plugs. TBF, I bought it all from discount stores and sales. 32x... 5.99$, Sega CD + genesis + 12 games (10 cd) about 60$ back in oh 97-98.

Beastro

Arcane
I wish idiots wouldn't use "Nintendo 64" graphics to criticize a game, it is beyond retarded.

Nintentard detected.

I actually like late 90s blocky pixel graphics, N64 or otherwise.

Reminds me of when games still weren't able to look completely realistic to allow the good old game element to shine through. It's much in the same way practical effects do with movies opposed to the dearth of CGI now.

GandGolf

Augur
The inability to transfer your party from the original Bard's Tale trilogy (or the remaster) make this an automatic "Not interested".

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well on topic of transfers....
I want to go from ULTIMA III
to wizardry 1-3
To Bards Tale 1
To BT2
To Dragon Wars
To BT3
Then to BT4

I always felt the events of dragon wars took place between BT 2 & 3.

Lagoth is killed, the party goes on vacation, ship gets fucked up and they lose everything, become prisoners/slaves, kill the BBEG in Dilmun, return to find their home destroyed.... kill Tarjan and replace the old gods......

Er.... wouldn’t BT4 then be a cakewalk?

I wonder if I should have placed Phantasie or Wizards crown in there.

Ohhh, and I so forgot Alpha Centauri.... maybe the team goes into space. “To annoying and beyond.”

I do feel Maze Master plus Swords & Serpents needs some love and insertion somewhere in that list.

Alpha Centauri could fit in the wasteland 1 to 2 to 3 timeline somewhere instead along with Fountain of Dreams and escape from hell.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom