Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boxart. Name your favourite.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Guys pls help,I got this image in my head for two weeks and can't remember from what game was,also not sure if it was box art or just some promo.It was praying baby or young kid wearing white looking up and light coming from sky.

Not this one?

2266897-1038153183_00.jpg

Yes that one.Thinking it was adventure game,but reading now it's FPS,saw it in local pc magazine 10-15 years ago.

Alchemist

Arcane
On the other hand, the art itself is based on Frank Frazetta's awesome work:
Heh, I hadn't noticed before that those poses were direct Frazetta rip-offs. It's a long-standing tradition though - he is the grandmaster of fantasy art, especially with regards to dynamic poses. All others learn from him. AK apparently added more side-boob, which is appreciated.

pippin

I remember reading about Messiah back then and thinking it was a neat concept but then it seems the game was kinda bland... Most of the marketing was centered around the fact that you could possess prostitutes.

This awesome feature came to mind when I came across this thread:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing2.htm

I love Frazetta. Boris was an uninspired, technically proficient hack that could never capture the dynamics of his idol, but was of course very important to fantasy game art in general.

As for my favourite game cover, it's probably the japanese cover for Ico:

Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

pippin

This awesome feature came to mind when I came across this thread:

Every artist has traced at one point or another, but there's uglier cases like Greg Land, obviously. Tracing is an ugly subject but the truth is every single illustrator learns his/her job by tracing and copying other models. There's nothing inherently wrong with tracing photographs; the only objection could be when you don't trace your own pics and steal images owned by other people. It could look like Vallejo stole Frazetta's work but it's not really like that, there's def. worse examples out there.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I'll admit, even if I have my issues with the game itself, I really like the japanese cover for Heavy Rain:

500x_heavyrain.jpg

dunno lah

Arcane
I have just begun digging into the Megami Tensei franchise and I couldn't help but post this awesome cover from the Megami Tensei 1 and 2 SFC remake. It gains bonus points also for not being manga-styled like most other artworks from the franchise. There is also an extended display of the picture below showing a lot more background:
kmt-boxart-front.png

179000051.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For some, the box art is better than the game itself.

You have no idea.

A large chunk of sales of video games in the 1980s were based on the box art, not the game itself.

Makes me wonder to this day how SEGA managed to release the Sega Master System and sell games for it, considering almost every game box cover for it was a minimalist mess.

Case in point:

blackbeltcover.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great covers. It's pretty predictable how each game producing region has its own standouts and cover golden age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom