Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Brainstorming an Islamic RPG

The topic was brought up in the shoutbox, and well its something that should be expanded on.
For instance taverns can't be used for starting adventures because of the their views on alcohol, would oasises take their place.
Would most adventures start with you riding into town on a camel?

As Andhaira would say, DISCUSS.

Also summoning other codex muslims Cloaked Doug Regvard alkeides 2.0 JarlFrank

Angthoron

Arcane
Bad guys would probably often be illusionist mages because they create images.
Clerics are pretty OP with spells like Monochromatic Orb (throw stone), Haram, Greater Haram, and penalty-flee multiclassing with Bard.
Women get an automatic level in Ninja with concealment bonus and class-specific gear.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably start shit at the bazaar and it all goes Allahu Akbar from there.

You can start by not projecting modern perceptions of islam onto a medieval-fantasy setting and look into contemporary medieval sources for a diverse range of islamic life styles between branches, cults, tribes and ethnicities. I daresay the muslim world had a longer run of a more diverse and multicultural period than its Christian counterparts, up until enlightenment.

hivemind

In a dystopian future where the Jews and their Saudi puppets won and plunged the world into chaos and tyranny you will take the role of a long lost descendant of Ali(pbuh) who will be sent by Gabriel on a quest to find the last Sufi Sheikh and thanks to his teachings and wisdom bring the truth of Islam, and with it peace, once again into the world.

Traverse the varied locations of mega-skyscraper filled Gulf countries, Jinn haunted oil fields, the Levant turned into one large Palestinian mass grave and venture even into post-ITZ Europe. Face off against the CIA armed remains of Daesh, the ever scheming Jews and rampaging 'refugees' in your search for the elusive Sage that will decide your fate in this world, and the next.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Deep C&C:

Do you doubletime to save the sultan from the evil djinn or proceed at a leisurely pace, as required by the ongoing Ramadan?

Andhaira

Arcane
Islamic history is ripe with material for a good partybased turnbased rpg, or a single character action rpg. Classes/Factions can include Janissaries, Assassins, Sufi Mystic, Dervish (original scimitar dual wielders), Mamaluks, Nomad Warriors, some sort of desert ranger, etc.

The original Assassins Creed actually was about the Assassin fighting against the Templar Knights. I remember a lot of butthurt on the interwebs when Ubi first announced that game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Islamic history is ripe with material for a good partybased turnbased rpg, or a single character action rpg. Classes/Factions can include Janissaries, Assassins, Sufi Mystic, Dervish (original scimitar dual wielders), Mamaluks, Nomad Warriors, some sort of desert ranger, etc.

The original Assassins Creed actually was about the Assassin fighting against the Templar Knights. I remember a lot of butthurt on the interwebs when Ubi first announced that game.
Would this be, in any way, up your alley? - http://static.81.86.251.148.clients.your-server.de/project/nwn2/module/al-andalus

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Heavy elements of the culture in QfG2.... though PG13, of course, so none of the authentic rapey stuff.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I've actually once had an idea for this (as yet unrealised), using Mazes & Minotaurs as a base. M&M is a free sort-of retroclone game whose central idea is "What would have early D&D look like if it had been inspired by Greek Mythology and Ra Harrihausen films instead of Medieval Europe and Tolkien?" It also has a similarly free "pop culture Vikings in horned helmets" conversion called Vikings & Valkyries.

I could easily see a Jinns and Janissaries conversion for it that maintain the ethos of deliberately representing the millieu through the lens of pop culture: Seven Voyages of Sinbad, 1001 Nights, etc. Some of the classes in the original game are spot on, others could be easily modified, and the monster book already has a bunch of appropriate entries.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Consider an animosity check (like Warhammer Greenskins). If failed, someone in the party takes objections at another guy, because reasons (shia, sunni, different tribe, heretic, unbeliever).

Also, in an Arabian setting, consider mandatory retirement checks, like T.E. Lawrence experienced them. Once the party plundered enough riches, people start to bail.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Publishing the stats of Muhammad would rock. who dares.

Here you are
CaInSpu.jpg

:troll:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
You're thinking too small. Publish the stats of YHWH, God and Allah in the Deities & Demigods, so adventurers can kill them.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You can start by not projecting modern perceptions of islam onto a medieval-fantasy setting and look into contemporary medieval sources for a diverse range of islamic life styles between branches, cults, tribes and ethnicities. I daresay the muslim world had a longer run of a more diverse and multicultural period than its Christian counterparts, up until enlightenment.

The mediaeval islamic world was diverse only in the sense that diverse peoples had been conquered and enslaved by them and not yet fully absorbed into their closed arabic society. You'll know the problems of the Mawali being recognised as true Muslims in the early Islamic world, for example, since you appear to present yourself as some kind of expert here.

The average arab bedouin of that period was pretty much eyeing up the same sexy little camels as the average Islamist of today.

I like how you even bandy about the words "diversity" and "multi-culturalism" still, as if those things are still regarded as redeeming signs of superiority in a civilisation.

Trump has happened. We no longer have to stand quietly and listen your rubbish, you lying pawn of the elites and their globalist agenda. Get your big hooked nose out of this thread. Go get raped in Koln and fulfill your submissive-to-brown-cock fantasies.

oscar

Arcane
Wasn't there a big rpg planned along this theme? Had a name like 'Zahire' or something but googling doesn't reveal anything. I remember it having a big kick-starter or the like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom