Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Breaking news: David Gaider likes Darklands!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Darklands; David Gaider

Yeah, that's what passes for news these days. Deal with it. This is a window into the dark soul of David Gaider, a man who, according to rumors, not only likes Bio games, but helped to make half of them, give or take a few.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I played Darklands and really enjoyed some aspects of it. The fame system, for instance. And while I could have used a little more actual magic, I do prefer low-magic systems in general so I appreciated the use of saints and alchemy. I did not enjoy how hard the early stages of the game were. Relentlessly, unforgiveably hard. I almost gave up on Darklands before I had a group luck out and survive long enough to get some decent equipment (killed a robber baron more or less by fluke and the fortuitous use of a glue potion, as I recall). I liked the realistic armor, and the stuff you could do in the towns (especially the taverns). I liked that most of the women looked like women and not sex kittens. I liked the map travel system (especially once you had horses... me, this is all I really need horses for in an RPG game. I don't need to see myself riding them, I just want to know that there are horses being ridden. ). I liked the deadly, turn-based combat (though sometimes it felt ridiculously easy to die). The very medieval-ish feel was also great. Incidentally, another RPG that is often overlooked that I felt was a real gem is another German one... 'Sword of Destiny', I think it's called, based on the 'Das Schwarze Auge' pen and paper system. Super, super game if a bit too nordic in feel for my taste.</blockquote>Go figure
<br>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Soon, they'll be posting my stupid comments as news... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

As for Darklands, haven't played it. And, it having horses doesn't really provide me with the motivation to buy it either.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I think that Darklands is a pretty old game. I remember playing it in high school.

That's why you don't remember it Volourn, you were only 3 years old when it came out.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dgaider said:
Wow. Slow news week, huh?
Not really. Stuff that people post on boards is much more interesting and usually more open then interviews approved by PR, reviews/previews that tell us what we already know. File it under Gaider, D: Profile.

Volourn said:
As for Darklands, haven't played it. And, it having horses doesn't really provide me with the motivation to buy it either.

Get it. The breadth of choices is amazing.

Fun game.

triCritical

Erudite
Country_Gravy said:
I think that Darklands is a pretty old game. I remember playing it in high school.

That's why you don't remember it Volourn, you were only 3 years old when it came out.

Dude, that means Volourn could quite possibly be older then you. Is mental age is 3, but is physical age is triC - 1. The only reason I remember.

triCritical

Erudite
Country_Gravy said:
I don't think I really know what that means, but I'll go along with it.

He's either 27, or 28. That means he was probably in High School when Darklands came out. Which means that he could possibly be older then you.

Vault Dweller

Developer
triCritical said:
BTW, this is a really stupid news item, no offence. :D
None taken. I've finally decided to follow the success formula of Bioware: people want something stupid, complicated stuff bores them. The results speak for themselves: 5-page Witcher interview posted earlier: 0 comments, 24 views; this thread with a catchy name: 10 comments, 128 views.

Edit: As an extra benefit, this thread motivated Ausir to add Darklands to our database. The description is a bit short though, maybe I should add "non-linear TB game with many choices the influenced David Gaider to make linear RT games with no choices. Go figure"

triCritical

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
triCritical said:
BTW, this is a really stupid news item, no offence. :D
None taken. I've finally decided to follow the success formula of Bioware: people want something stupid, complicated stuff bores them. The results speak for themselves: 5-page Witcher interview posted earlier: 0 comments, 24 views; this thread with a catchy name: 10 comments, 128 views.

LOL!

But its true, shit sells. No literally, ~shit~ sells.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
triCritical said:
Country_Gravy said:
I don't think I really know what that means, but I'll go along with it.

He's either 27, or 28. That means he was probably in High School when Darklands came out. Which means that he could possibly be older then you.

Yep. I'm 26. I figured that Mr. V was only 13.

After all, I did see that post about the wrestling review. :lol:

taks

Liturgist
15 comments now... since it annoys some so, i'll not add any content.
taks

Whipporowill

Erudite
Smorri Nosebiter said:
Whats the "Sword of Destiny" game he refers to? Does anyone have a link to the Demo/Game?

Smorri

I think they were made in Germany and are pretty hard to get hold of - I think I tried theunderogs.org but they had been pulled from there.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Smorri Nosebiter said:
Whats the "Sword of Destiny" game he refers to? Does anyone have a link to the Demo/Game?

It's the first in the "Realms of Arkania Trilogy" by SirTech that came out a while back. I don't think you can get it in stores anymore, but I did find the entire trilogy packed into one box recently for $30 CDN on one of those game sale websites (I had to try several, so I don't remember the exact one).

Blade of Destiny (I looked it up... got the name wrong) is the first and best one. Star Trail and Shadows Over Riva are the next two. Great European RPG's with probably the best system for traveling that I've seen anywhere.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I think he meant Blade of Destiny which is the first game in the Realms of Arkania series. The first two, the Blade and Startrail were great, at least as far as I can recall. Very complicated, in a good way, char system, and tough tactical TB battles. The last game, Shadow over Riva, was still TB, but not nearly as good. Some abandonware sites have them, I replayed Startrail a few months ago.

Thanks for the quick replys! :D

I have the third game but never played it. Now I'll track down the first two.

Smorri

Fenris

Novice
The old Attic-Soft Games... these were the times...

The Link to Underdogs (It isn't available anymore)

www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=888

It had the best Skill-System ever. When you rested in the Wilderness some of your Party had to hunt or gather Healing-Herbs to counter a Lot of Disease (Infested Wounds or serious Colds if you climbed around in the Mountains without appropiate Clothing...) and it was a real Pain to get your Hands on some magic Equiqment. My all-time favourite Game.

Stark

Liturgist
I liked the deadly, turn-based combat

it was turn based? if I'm not mistaken it was real time. but with pause. I think.

it was good for its time but definately lacking in terms of role-playing. the best thing going for it is the excellent atmosphere, (added no doubt by its water color slides). something very few games achieve these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom