Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brian Fargo announces Bard's Tale IV at PAX South

Weasel
So Hearthstone references and jokes about graph paper to put off fans of the originals. But an ancient IP which is unlikely to attract hordes of casuals.

Good luck to him but can't say I'm too excited.

I knew I'd get more than one post out of this shoop if I just waited long enough ...

gamer4life.gif

Needs an additional 2017 panel where Ned Beatty plays the Bard.

Athelas

Arcane
Anyway, this is all just marketing speak. Fargo needs to get Bard's Tale out of his system, just like he needed to get Wasteland out of his system.
Most people are reluctant to 'get something out of their system' when name-dropping it can get them a few mill. :M

Though what makes you think LOG 2 didn't sell well?

Simultaneously? :lol:

what system would that be? and why is that an improvement over TB?
Phase-based, simultaneous turn-based. It adds another layer of tactics - anticipating what the enemy will do during the execution of your turn.

sser

Arcane
Developer
For the uninitiated, what has Hearthstone brought the table that's new...?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Simultaneously? :lol:

what system would that be? and why is that an improvement over TB?
It's not an improvement. It's just a different system with different strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=21

This is just a passing phase, one of my bad days - Phase Based

Strengths - Phase-Based combat, like its close relation TB, provides tangible phases which can be carefully measured, anticipated and progressed through. The difference lies in the fact that rather than taking turns, combat is rationalised into two phases - planning and execution. Sequential phase based provides very little advantage over standard TB, however a simultaneous execution phase can provide all of the advantages of real time, sidestep most of the flaws in TB, but does come with it's share of problems. More on that a little later, first the advantages. All of the TB advantages apply here, but with the addition of simultaneous actions, which greatly speeds up the TB process, and also helps to satisfy the naysayers who believe TB is unrealistic. "WeGo" PB effectively takes away the abstraction of TB.

Weaknesses - However, as we said before, it's not without problems. The most glaring one is the fact that you are locking in a sequence of actions with no way of altering it on the fly, which can have effects ranging from frustrating to catastrophic. There are solutions, such as allowing the player to explicitly specify interrupts explicitly when they anticipate unforeseeable circumstances or by providing fairly short phases that don't allow the player to dig a hole too deep. This also works to keep the game interesting and interactive, as lengthy execution phases can be harmful to interactivity especially if all actions are predefined and unalterable. The second major problem is how the game handles invalid moves, such as two characters trying to move to the same location simultaneously. However, problematic as PB may sound, it boils down to being more of a challenge to the developer, and with proper design attention most bad points can be addressed effectively.

Myths -

"PB is just the same as TB" - Yes and no. The major differences lie in the execution stage. Firstly, actions are planned simultaneously, whereas a TB system provides some quarter to slower characters who get to see what faster characters have done. Secondly, while a fast character in a TB system might get an extra turn every now and then, PB is rigid with it's "one for you, one for me" rules. A couple of subtle differences, but they do have some fairly profound effects.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though what makes you think LOG 2 didn't sell well?

Well, SteamDB statistics (see LESS T_T's thread), and my own observation of how quickly it fell off Top Sellers on Steam. :M

It is more expensive than the first game, though, so maybe it'll do better when some deep sales come.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not an improvement. It's just a different system with different strengths and weaknesses:

Well, most of phasebased systems I have played the attacks were still resolved in order decided by some kind of initiative value. The Fargo quote seems to suggest everything would go totally simultaneously. Otherwise he would just be doing Wizardry.

AMG

Arbiter
For the uninitiated, what has Hearthstone brought the table that's new...?
Sort of that going back-and-forth process, and you see the complexity and detail and strategy and nuance that can happen. It's really an amazing system.

Athelas

Arcane
It robs Blizzard fans of their income through in-app purchases. This is a good thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The original Bard's Talessssssssss were phase-based fpp why are you guise talking as if he's doing something different??????????

DeepOcean

Arcane
"There will be plenty of combat diversity and depth," Fargo said. "You look at something like Hearthstone."
Wow... man that was deep, his dope was 100% pure.

hiver

I know VD... i was just goading him into a hole full of spikes and slicing blades... ffs...

The original Bard's Talessssssssss were phase-based fpp why are you guise talking as if he's doing something different??????????
Its not us who are talking about it as if something different - and an "improvement" over TB. dumbass.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this what you wanted Crooked Bee ?

In theory, yes, it's the one InXile project I can see myself being the most excited about -- as long as it's first person, party-based, and not too streamlined.

In practice? We'll see. Not much detail to go on yet.

It sounded more like he was talking about some kind of simultaneous team vs team action resolution to me, not your regular phase based, but maybe that's just the way I read it. Otherwise he could/should've just said he's doing it exactly like Wizardry/BT.

Athelas

Arcane
But then he couldn't claim to be innovative. Of course, it could be something else than phase-based.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: Like anybody at PAX would have understood what that meant.

He's speaking of innovation (or "deviation") compared to the original Bard's Tale:

Details about the game are still light, but Fargo did say the team will be pulling from the original as far as overarching ideas go. From a story perspective, players will be returning to Skara Brae, where it all began. But on the gameplay side of things, Fargo is planning a deviation.

"Traditional turn-based combat," as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once. This increases the pace of the combat, and allows for a different set of tactics than the traditional system might allow.

So you either believe him on that or don't. For now, I choose to take his "teams attack all at once" as meaning he's doing some kind of spin on phase-based combat and not just repeating the original's (in which case the above interview wouldn't make any sense).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My bet is something like Final Fantasy XIII: you prepare various formations & behaviors for your party and just macro-manage between those.

Yes, a FFXIII-inspired Bard's Tale. I'll let that idea sink in for a moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's speaking of innovation (or "deviation") compared to the original Bard's Tale:

True, but that part about deviation isn't a direct quotation. You know how reliable these guys can be when they do that.

My own feel is that he's describing a "deviation" from traditional turn-based combat as seen in Wasteland 2, which the game journalists incorrectly assume is also how the old Bard's Tale worked. Hence, a "deviation".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All of you phag-mo's complaining about a revival of Bard's Tale by the man himself need your Kodex Kool Kid Klub Kard revoked.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All of you phag-mo's complaining about a revival of Bard's Tale by the man himself need your Kodex Kool Kid Klub Kard revoked.

Wasteland 2 is all the excuse anyone needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom