Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Brian Fargo on crowd-sourcing

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Oct 30, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Brian Fargo, InXile Entertainment; InXile Entertainment

GameIndustry.biz caught up with InXile's Brian Fargo, asking him about his possible future crow-sourcing endeavors. His reply? Succeed or fail, I'll return to Kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    So.... any news about Wasteland 2?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Yes, WL2 is getting dev'ed at a kickass speed with no publisher interference and stuff. Kickass. It's gonna be awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I'm VERY worried about the way this is going... this sounds so abusive, as in "I got free money to make games & profit, why should I ever use my own money again?" and "Besides, I can milk people for in-game stuff way better than any AAA company with DLCs"... :(

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    CEOs gonna CEO.

He's right that it's a great way to build up hype and a loyal community. I'm not sure how repeatable that is, though.

^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yeah, I don't think that he'll get similar results after that... "Wasteland 2 sold 3 million copies of pure profit, now please give us 2 million dollars for a sequel, because".

Obviously people will buy in-game NPCs & itens, but...

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We'll probably see more Star Citizen-like hybrid models in the future, crowd-sourcing + independent funding.

^ Top  
  8. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Even the people we love and care about can be corrupted by money. Maybe not now, but perhaps in the future.

Best to just watch how things unfold and be objective.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    You guys forget that you are basically just preordering a game. If W2 is successfull people will preorder W3 or whatever rpg they want to put out. If you spent more money you get the collectors edition and more stuff but you don't have to.

^ Top  
  10. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    The whole ideia was to pre-order a game that woudn't exist without that pre-order money... as soon as the developer has tons of money to make it anyway, kickstarting its games makes as much sense as kickstarting EA...

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    IF

It isn't successful yet. Should W2 turn out to be... good... but falling sort of expectations or worse, poorly made, this will be very bad.

1- The developers will have no excuses. They've had fan feedback AND no interference from any publishers.
    2- This may put a dent in the faith the fans might have in any future crowd-sourced games from that company. As terrible as Bethesda or EA is, you KNOW what you are getting (or not getting).
    3- Too many companies flopping in this manner may put Kickstarter in a bad light, which can indirectly affect other game companies trying to crowd source games. (speculation)

It's like someone said in another topic on a different note: it's all on the Net. Screw up, and there's no way you can hide it.

^ Top  
  12. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    I completely agree. If the game turns out to be successfull I see no reason why they should stop using this model. If the game turns out to be bad crowdfunding another one will be very difficult to say the least.

^ Top  
  13. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    I don't think there's anything wrong with people going back again and again to crowdfund assuming they're producing the games they set out to produce. What I hate most is the ego-stroking player-service crap. Making people into NPCs and shrines (on the scale that we are seeing recently) is just such an unbelieveably low and customer-pandering tactic that there's no way it would be tolerated as much as it is if it wasn't for the fact that it started along with such a promising new platform.

I'm hoping one day it has such stigma that crowdfunding projects start listing as one of their checkpoints "And strictly NO player shrines, items or NPCs in our game!"

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. LeStryfe79 Fake Newsman Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think kickstarters are fun whether they are needed or not.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Man, I read that thread title wrong. I thought this would be about Brian Fargo's deep thoughts on crowd surfing.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    If WL2 sells good and Fargo goes to Kickstarter again for the next game, fuck that shit, unless he pulls tiers down to more reasonable and more importantly, consumer-wise sustainable levels. I'm not crazy about shelling hundreds of dorrars at shit reward levels that would otherwise cost at most $100 for a CE box.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. serch Magister Patron

serch
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If they deliver quality, I think they could pull this shit forever. I don't mind shelling my 60 $ a couple of years earlier with the occasional loss if the games I like begin to flow.

^ Top  
  18. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You could have got a copy of Wasteland 2 for $15, that hardly seems unreasonable or unsustainable.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I'll show you, then:

Succeed: Repeatable.
    Fail: Not repeatable.

^ Top  
  20. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Whoever rubbed the lamp should have been more specific when he wished the return of CRPGs.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Exactly. We should have been listening to the warnings about Djinn all this time.....

^ Top  
  22. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris

You are making the assumption, they haven't already reached most their market, using crowd funding. Additional sales may not be that great, because the majority of people that want this game, may have already pledged. This is not an EA mainstream targeted game, with a massive advertising budget, it is niche, so crowd funding may be the only significant income they get, even if the game is good.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

skuphundaku
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, that's the worst case scenario for them. We get a good game and they get their wages for the next 2 years. After that, they come back to us to fund the development of their next game and the cycle repeats. I don't have a problem with this approach. Quite the contrary, I would prefer it this way.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. hiver Guest

hiver
    Nope, because they dont need to hit a big sale numbers when they publish the game.
    They will do just fine if the game keeps selling over a longer time frame. And good word of mouth, (especially if the game turns out to be better than good), and some updates, expansions and so on - they could be coasting a long time.
    While they develop other games.

^ Top  
  25. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

skuphundaku
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I said that that's the worst case scenario for them, but that worst case scenario is pretty damn good for everybody. The only way they could fuck up is if the game totally blows. I mean "worse than DS3/AP/NWN2:OC"-blows. Anything better than utter failure is going to be a pretty good outcome for everybody involved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top