Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo on crowd-sourcing

Monocause

Arcane
1. Don't use things like shit I ignore and keep people interested in same paragraph if you want to be taken seriously.

Don't lecture people on how they are to behave if they want to be taken seriously if you want to be taken seriously. Seriously. Also, don't misquote.

2. The difference from KS is that you actually have to have a product to sell and Fargo is a bit lacking in that department. The drowning boy dilemma, the WL2 color of choice poll that ended up having all the colors in the game. I am starting to think the C&C in the game will be to eat a meat loaf or veggie salad.

3. To even attract other crowd you would have to show something, so at this point it's safe to say that the integrity is not compromised.

What's so hard to understand about the process of basic hype management? The thing Fargo's doing now (look, we've got consultants! look, here's a useless tidbit!) is being done by pretty much all larger dev studios and publishers during the preproduction. First they release useless fluff like concept art or story elements which would probably remain the same even if they were to shift from making an RPG to making a japanese dating sim. This serves a slow buildup during which the companies are very careful not to reveal anything that might still be prone to change and only after reaching a certain point do they start showing real stuff, once it's more or less set in stone.

Fargo's doing no different at the moment and I don't blame him, and I also don't really care about the way he manages his PR. The only thing I care about is the finished product he's going to release probably around early Q1 2014.

crafthack

Educated
It's better than InXile disappearing off the face of the earth fro 18 months, and then reappearing out-of-the-blue with a beta, then everyone would be like "Oh yeah Wasteland 2, I forgot about that one". By asking Fargo to spill the beans about everything in the game is against Marketing 101, and it would result in less sales.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
1. Don't use things like shit I ignore and keep people interested in same paragraph if you want to be taken seriously.

Don't lecture people on how they are to behave if they want to be taken seriously if you want to be taken seriously. Seriously. Also, don't misquote.

Then stop writing logical fallacies. I am not misquoting, that's the meaning behind your paragraph.

Monocause

Arcane
Then stop writing logical fallacies. I am not misquoting, that's the meaning behind your paragraph.

Logical fallacy my ass. Had I written "keep all the people interested" you would have a point, but I didn't.

It is common knowledge that hype is a targeted thing, and it also should be common knowledge that it is neither me, nor you, nor most of the codexers that its targeted at, the target being the well-conditioned albeit unwashed masses. It's perfectly reasonable for me to say that Fargo's doing stuff like this to keep people interested and observe that he's probably doing it right even if I have no interest in these pre-production updates myself and can't possibly muster any interest until he starts talking about actual game details.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Yes, because the shit people ignore is the shit that keeps people interested. Just fuck off.
Kotaku and Joystiq have whole empires based on reporting shit that people here would ignore. It seems to keep the mindless masses interested, even if there is nothing of any substance.

Also, did your abject lack of eloquence actually leave you with 'fuck off' as your only remaining argument?
You may as well have just written, “My feeble attempt to leverage a purely semantic strawman has failed, and now my ass is left gaping and sore.” That would have been slightly more dignified then just whimpering ‘fuck off’ like a little schoolgirl with hurt feelings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom