Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by J_C, Feb 9, 2012.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Yeah, this theory about the game's TR00 MEANING is quite amusing:

Vella comes from a village of bakers, they make handcrafted things full of love - They are indie devs.
    The evil guys are the AAA industry. They keep players (Shay) inside a protective bubble, with nothing but repetitive fake adventures, and whatever players find cool outside, they instantly buy and destroy to feed their themselves (kidnapping girls with the spaceship)
    You save teh world by putting indie devs and players together, without evil mega corporations interfering. Huzzah

I actually think this is clever (if self-centered), but it only works on a superficial level, and still doesn't explain stuff like Shay's parents or how the evil bad guys are defeated... fells like some elements were forced into (like Shay sensing the "right" girl) just to make the metaphor work.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. iZerw Cipher

iZerw
    Another review from gatheryourparty.com: Broken Age Act Two is a Complete Disaster.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Well, I thought Part 1 was shockingly bad overall, with one or two good moments and the rest just crushingly awful. I'm using superlatives here because Tim Schafer really should know better. He has achieved Molyneux levels of decline.

I own Part 2, but I won't bother playing it simply because my response to the first one was so negative and from the reviews of Part 2, it sounds even worse.

^ Top  
  4. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Is there a decent plot outline somewhere? Im not gonna have a chance to play the game for a while, but Im interested in all of the story talk.

EDIT - Tis on the Wikipedia page.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Gather Your Party going the click-bait way? Why title your review this: "Broken Age Act Two is a Complete Disaster."
    If your conclusion is this: "Broken Age is by no means bad. It’s an above-average game, peppered with glimpses of brilliance that ultimately don’t amount to anything."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Editors' tendency to exaggerate more moderate conclusions arrived at by writers, who will be like, "Holy shit! That is not what I said!" To which editors say, "Nm. Dont worry bout it"

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's much, much better than part 1. That's starting from a pretty low bar, granted, but it's something.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    That was already present in Chains of Satinav with the fairy magic (iirc this is also in the Geron portions of Memoria)

^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Meanwhile, at the fortress of decline:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yeah, I also prefer my FPSs Zynga style these days.

Show Spoiler
    WHAT.
    THE.
    FUCK.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I think Vogel is just waiting for someone to write how RPGs are pointless so he can go and retire.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Well, you are writing a book about them, so...

^ Top  
  13. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So, I needed a 3 million plus adventure game to tell me that AAA games suck? (via an obscure metaphor?) I knew this shit back in 2003, when I started making adventure games because there wasn't much out there! Thanks, DoubleFine! I'm so glad someone FINALLY said it.

Bt

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    No no no, we needed a 3 million plus adventure game to tell the world that indie devs are cool.

Signed, indies devs.

^ Top  
  15. RPGMaster Savant

RPGMaster
    Double Fine is not an indie developer. Read the credits of Broken Age, there's like 200 people working on that game. Indies do not have CEOs, COOs, VPs and administrators, 25 people working on art, 20 people working on language localizations.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    RED ALERT, RED ALERT!
    Requesting immediate ban of RPGMaster, he knows too much.
    We must stop him before he mentions the 3M could finance like 300 real indie games.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    The fuck is a "real indie game"?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. otsego Arbiter

otsego
    I've been trying to get around to getting this out of the backlog, but I made the mistake of listening to Tim AGAIN... and started from act 1.

Wow is this an awful adventure game. I feel like I'm in a daycare sliding those plastic cars along those winding wires that throw curves in there to make the child thing they're tracing a complicated path.

I'll have to wait until I've had a few beers and can't sleep before going forward and beginning act 2.

At least it has two things going for it: a few 'decent's from codexers, and a general distaste from mainstream media. Means it must be OK... Yeah?

I guess it was easily predicted, but funny how the one that's begins the kick started craze and gets us some decent RPGs ends up being the huge red flag for putting money down on a dream.

^ Top  
  19. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    20 people on localizations is actually the most believable one for an indie game because it's one thing a team of less than a dozen simply can't do on their own but can easily and readily be commissioned. Certainly not a pre-release thing like BA got, but post-release translations of successful indie games is common enough (Paper's Please is in 9 languages. If each non-English language has a translator and a localization editor that's 16 people there. I'm pretty there's also some overlap with the other parts of the credits too. The guy credited for programing all the translation in is likely credited as a normal programer as well for example)

^ Top  
  20. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Something like Telepath Tactics I'd assume.

^ Top  
  21. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So indie is a 2 men studio, developing games in their basement? Or it means INDEPENDENT, which Double Fine totally is.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    DF was dependent on backer's money.

^ Top  
  23. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Just as Telepath Tactics. Does this make them non-indie?

^ Top  
  24. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Loosest definition of "indie" is probably just anything that isn't published by Activision/Blizzard, EA, Nintendo, or some other huge multinational. Could probably add:
    • Company's existence is contingent on existence of projects its principals consider worthwhile & want to work on, not self-preservation as a vehicle for employment & long-term life stability for employees. Kind of a tricky qualification, because everyone hopes to make money, but it rules out free-to-play World of Tanks Bejeweled clones. The most seemingly "honest" art can have the most craven profit incentive behind it, which makes it that much better.
    • Company wasn't fronted a bunch of money to develop the game by someone hoping to see a return on investment. Puts the "independent" in "indie" — whether developer's motivations are its own or an interpretation of someone else's. Some companies, like Doublefine or Obsidian, have independent projects that coexist with non-independent projects.
    • [More bullet points for hipster purity test]

^ Top  
  25. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Broken Age is a real over-budgeted and over-produced piece of independent shit.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)