Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nobody would donate anything. Not until he has at least one finished game under his belt.
You fucking idiot. Games like AoD wont event score 1000$. Just sayin the truth
Pretty much.

It's a great way to raise funds for well-known developers though, which is an amazing opportunity for studios like Obsidian to ditch the publishers' yoke and do what they want to do for a change.

Of course, 1.5-2 mil is a very modest budget by today's standards, but it's a chance to gain some creative freedom and I hope Obsidian will consider it.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'll buy it after it gets released if turns out into a good adventure but I salute those with courage to make such a bet hoping it'll not turn out into another Grimoire.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
hai guise i heard this is being produced by steriotypical(sic) white males with no regard for cultural sensitivity, is this true????

tumblr_lz5g9jalYh1qhbud5o1_500.jpg

Pleas tell me that this is real and not something that you made up.

Coyote

Arcane
I'll buy it after it gets released if turns out into a good adventure but I salute those with courage to make such a bet hoping it'll not turn out into another Grimoire.

As people have been saying, part of the reason they were able to secure so much funding where others might not be able to is that Double Fine is a decent-sized studio with a proven track record of releasing games - even if many are console-only and/or concepts that might not appeal to many here - and Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert played major roles in developing some of the most beloved adventure games ever released. DF's reputation is also on the line, so there is some incentive for them to finish the project even if there's no contractual obligation to do so. Big difference between that and an aspie nutjob with delusions of grandeur who might have worked on a Wizardry game that never came out and who was apparently so over-the-top crazy and egotistical that his coworkers included a parody of him in one of their other games (not to mention, you know, all of his posts here). There are reasons to be concerned, as others have pointed out, and I can definitely understand not wanting to put any money on the table until there's a finished product, but I'd say that it's a much safer bet than Grimoire, all things considered. (Might be comparable to something like Josh Sawyer's attempt to revive The Black Hound, but even that was always just a one-man pet project that he worked on in his spare time, as far as I know.)

Anyway, I hope they manage to pull this off, even if the end product ends up not being my cup of tea. Anything that moves the industry away from having to rely so heavily on the toxic publisher-developer model is a plus in my book.

Ermm

Erudite
I really hope that the additional money will go into the game, or maybe into an brand new adventure game, after this will come out.

Fuck the documentary.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I really hope that the additional money will go into the game, or maybe into an brand new adventure game, after this will come out.

Fuck the documentary.
The guys already have 1,1 mil over the budget...and they will probably reach 2 mil. I don't think they will make a game 5 times bigger & more expensive than they originally proposed, for that would also take longer...maybe they will announce they will do 2 different games or something...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm thinking they'll just line their pockets and say it went into the game~

Forgotten Friend

Educated
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
For a flash game with 4 stats from a studio nobody has ever heard of I think it's actually pretty damned good to get 20k in funding. I would have expected about 20 bucks.

I can't get over how much some individuals are willing to donate. $500??? :eek:

Forgotten Friend

Educated

Maybe they stuffed the tip jar a bit?

I guess it shows how fed up people are with modern games, but even if I was sure it would be a masterpiece I don't think I could bring myself to pay more than 100 bucks for a game no matter how much money I had to spare. It would be like giving $500 tip at a restaurant. No matter what the bill that's ridiculous for two people.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Some intreresting facts from Tim Schafer's twitter about the budget of his previous games

Day of the Tentacle 600k(1993,300k for the game 300k for the voices!)

Full Throttle 1.5 million(1995)

Grim Fandango 3million(1998)

Costume Quest/Stacking/Iron Brigade 2 million each(2010-2011)

PS DOTT was only $600k or something. I don't remember exaclty

I'm trying to remember. It was somewhere between $300k and $600k. I think the base game was $300, and the voice added $300k more.

$1,343,061! We've passed the budget of Day of the Tentacle and are closing in on the Full Throttle budget ($1.5M). I'm adding motorcycles!

$1,520,878! We've passed the budget for Full Throttle! Well, adjusted for inflation, FT was really $2,244,782, according to SOME WEBSITE.

Did I say Grim was 2? Grim was 3.
3M. 1998 money.

But we are starting to get into Costume Quest/Stacking/Iron Brigade budget territory. Those were around 2 million. Interesting...

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Maybe they stuffed the tip jar a bit?

I guess it shows how fed up people are with modern games, but even if I was sure it would be a masterpiece I don't think I could bring myself to pay more than 100 bucks for a game no matter how much money I had to spare. It would be like giving $500 tip at a restaurant. No matter what the bill that's ridiculous for two people.

I could go for a subscription based funding model. I'd easily pony up $4.99/month over 3 years for a classic RPG + regular interviews and shit like that.

Kraszu

Prophet
Nobody would donate anything. Not until he has at least one finished game under his belt.
You fucking idiot. Games like AoD wont event score 1000$. Just sayin the truth
Pretty much.

It's a great way to raise funds for well-known developers though, which is an amazing opportunity for studios like Obsidian to ditch the publishers' yoke and do what they want to do for a change.

Of course, 1.5-2 mil is a very modest budget by today's standards, but it's a chance to gain some creative freedom and I hope Obsidian will consider it.

They are still selling it after it will be released, they could take smaller salaries for few years, but after that time get money from sells, overall it could easily add up to bigger then normal salaries where they don't take royalties or very small ones. Almost 100% of the game budget is salaries.

Kraszu

Prophet
For a flash game with 4 stats from a studio nobody has ever heard of I think it's actually pretty damned good to get 20k in funding. I would have expected about 20 bucks.

Maybe I should try it at some point, but I imagine it's mostly the marketing that drives funding. Better ask VD to team up with me I guess.

And look at that:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epifanica/the-light-of-the-darkness-the-game

AoD is much bigger project so why not try? At worse more people will know about the game. It goes against my intuition that those games with little to show (not even a playable demo), and unknown developers can get the funding but they do. It would be interesting to see how well or bad it would do. Make a good video that explains design decisions, and settings, and it could do well.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Oh I would pay $300 for a Fallout 1 quality game, possibly more. It would have to be as good a Fallout 1 in every way, with the very best people working on it and no concessions for the masses. TB, quality design, art and writing. I would want the complete, old school experience. It shipped in a collectable hard box, maps, nice manual, etc. No cheaping out on anything anywhere. I would pay that kind of money, for craftsmanship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom