Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview But wait! There is more... (NWN2 Q&A, part II)

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Vault Dweller, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Apparently, <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net>EuroGamer</a> has pulled that lame "let's split an interview into one-page long pieces to increase teh trafik!" trick, so here is the <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63776>Interview with Feargus, Part 2</a>:
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>When graphics were less developed in role-playing games - like in Ultima - everything was in your head. What your character was, how powerful they are, what they did and who they were... well, now we have to pull more tools out of the bag to connect to your character, to have them be you. That's what it's about. It's not just that it's you... but it's the "you" in the world in the story, in the game. And the more things which make you feel that way the better, and Moral Decisions are part of that.</blockquote>The mind boggles. The best part is that Feargus really means that.
    <br>
    <br>

^ Top  
  2. Oarfish Prophet

Oarfish
    Well, the parallax mapping, particle effects and rotatey camera were in my head, certainly. What the hell graphical sophistication can add to the impact ofmoral decisions over ultima I can't fathom, that's the job of good storytelling, not the renderer.

And that's one shitty place to position himself too, NWN's graphics ain't going to be anything special.

^ Top  
  3. bryce777 Erudite

bryce777
    So basically, the higher your charisma the bigger your elf's tits are gonna be?

^ Top  
  4. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Well, I suspect if you're male it'll make the tits smaller.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. bryce777 Erudite

bryce777
    I said elf...there are male elf 'toons'? Weird.

^ Top  
  6. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Oops, my mistake.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Thrawn05 Scholar

Thrawn05
    Androgynous Elves.

^ Top  
  8. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    What? What the fuck is he talking about? That is, by far, the stupidest thing I've ever heard so far this year.

I officially lose all hope for NWN2 now.

^ Top  
  9. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    e-smoochies!

^ Top  
  10. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    Re: But wait! There is more... (NWN2 Q&A, part II)

Seriously, WTF? How long did it take anyone to catch up to U7 in the graphics department? U9???? What a fucking dick.

^ Top  
  11. Old Scratch Liturgist

Old Scratch
    There's no reason a good RPG couldn't have high quality graphics that enrich the overall experience. High visual quality can add to the immersion and atmosphere of a gameworld, and those can be important qualities in an RPG. A good example of that was Bloodlines. Yeah, those elements can and have been conveyed appropriately through well-written text too, but it's not the same, and people are moving out of the age where they still want to read long strings of text for descriptions of everything.

Graphics do seem to aid in the sale of modern games too.

Unfortunately, Feargus, since his final days at BIS, seems determined to stick to shitty, hum-drum action games, with sup-par graphics in RPG clothing.

^ Top  
  12. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Hey, I've had sex with many a boy or androgenous elf. They are as good as elven women if not better, simply because they are hairless, and love anal sex, and are naturally submissive, much like asians.

^ Top  
  13. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    3d is not equal to good graphics, I wish people would learn that. 3D can look pretty, but so can 2d. The Hi-Res 2d stuff on a lot of, say, GBA games looks very impressive and a lot smoother than 3d. Doesn't take as much processor power to render them, either. Hell, if you play the Sonic games on a Genesis emulator and turn up the resolution, it can look pretty damn good (same for Doom and the Zdoom engine).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    I agree, but the general perception by the public is that 2D stinks. Even VD had to concede that in the end.

^ Top  
  15. Diogo Ribeiro Erudite

Diogo Ribeiro
    ?Vault Dweller conceded that his game's 2D graphics were bad, not that 2D itself was bad.

^ Top  
  16. AlanC9 Liturgist

AlanC9
    2D can look just fine, but you do lose some functionality. Once you take zooming and rotating for granted, it's hard to go back.

There were lots of posts on the ToEE boards about trying to change the camera angle. People just didn't get the idea that it could not be done.

^ Top  
  17. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls

I think its a pity that sprite graphics were never developed to their potential due to the tyranny of the polygon. Looking Glass were achieving sophisticated NPC graphics with sprites (see 'Terra Nova') and it is clear that even today, in teh Nekstest Genn, there are still serious compromises on NPC numbers in a 3d RPG because it's gotta be supa-high poglygonal.

A. That point had already been made
    B. Saying "seriously, WTF?" is dumbassed TES-board speak which is not allowed here, read the rules.

^ Top  
  18. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord

Feargus has always been the dumb one. I think he infected JE. MCA I think caught it for a while too but at times did seem some-what immune to its effects.

^ Top  
  19. bryce777 Erudite

bryce777
    Just look at stronghold and stronghold 2. Stronghold was great, and had great graphics. Stronghold 2 sucks ass and looks like shit, runs like shit, and has these minuscule limitations on the number of units possible.

^ Top  
  20. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Christ, stop being such a bitch.

^ Top  
  21. Lurkar Scholar

Lurkar
    I just want to put these two together and add - them bitches in Bloodlines had some giant titties.

^ Top