Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - now with battle royale instead of a single player campaign

Don Peste

Arcane
LOL at the 'IIII'

IIII is present on many old clocks though.
Source
"IIII might have stuck around because it's easily recognizable as four. IV involves a little math. Yes, it's just one simple subtraction operation, but keep in mind that when subtractive notation really caught on in the casual market, the majority of gamers weren't literate or numerate. Subtraction was a lot to wrap the head around".

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
WTF soon every AAA game will be Battle Royale. :hero:
giphy.gif

orcinator

Liturgist
And PC Gamer rides along with another piece of fine hipster opinion

https://www.pcgamer.com/do-fps-games-still-need-a-singleplayer-campaign/

This article was almost certainly sponsored, but CoD campaigns were always just a series of barely interactive setpieces meant to distract you from the boring shooting.

Of course all the resources previously wasted on the shitty campaign will just be spent on more advertising so the balance will still be nonexistent, the maps will still be shit and the tickrate will still be 3. Maybe they'll excuse the last one by saying they're using the same trickrate for the regular 16 player multiplayer as the 100 player BR mode but then someone would have to complain first.

Big No

Novice
Regardless of the fact that IIII is still used in a few places, like aforementioned old clocks, having a logo like that... ugh. What's going to happen when the inevitable Black Ops 5 happens? BloPs IIIII? Can't wait for when the tenth installment happens. Oh I mean BloPs IIIIIIIIII.

I can't really see the big deal in them dropping single player when basically everyone that plays these games just plays the game for multiplayer anyways. Dropping single player for this series being a bad thing is more of a perception problem than a actual one.

Although they aren't doing themselves any favors framing this as the next Black Ops release. Should have called it something else, either shift the main focus over to the zombies mode, (which does have a story, and is still in this game) or give the normal multiplayer some kind of loose tournament story and theme and talk up the bots. Then you aren't shipping the new Black Ops minus something the others had, you're shipping some new version of CoD that's about what you're doing in that one. If they'd just of called this something like Call of Duty Apocalypse or Armageddon, said a more fleshed out version of Zombies was where 1-4 players would be getting the story stuff, they probably wouldn't have to deal with YouTubes making videos about there not being any single player.

duke nukem

Augur
Well, if the price is lower and you could buy the sp campaign separately with low price too, then its a good change.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
No offense but Treyarch's COD games always tend to get my attention. Looks like this one has health-bars and not automatic regeneration. Is this incline? :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's going to be released on Battle.net and not on Steam. End of an era in more than one way.

Big Wrangle

Battle.net is gonna be the Activision Blizzard Origin, saw it coming since Destiny 2. Somewhat surprised it didn't happen sooner, though.

Irata

Scholar
I wonder if this game having a battle royale mode means that one of the new games Blizzard is working on won't be one.

It wouldn't surprise me if Destiny 2 was Activision's test to see if PC users would be okay with not using Steam. I can see why the big publishers want to get away from Valve though. Why tithe 20% to the cult of GabeN and hand over all that customer data if you don't have to?

Tehdagah

Arcane
The gladiador zombie mode looks cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom