Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Heretic

Cipher
Nice! Care to share the technical setup?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Have you thought about having an Indiegogo? I don't think you need to reach a goal to keep the money. I'd like to contribute but I don't want to sign up for a whole new account to do so, and I'd rather do a one and done contribution too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have you thought about having an Indiegogo? I don't think you need to reach a goal to keep the money. I'd like to contribute but I don't want to sign up for a whole new account to do so, and I'd rather do a one and done contribution too.
Both kickstarter and indiegogo have an option to keep the money that was raised or go for an all or nothing. The former is seen as a faux pas of sorts.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The former is seen as a faux pas of sorts.

I can see how that would be so with a big campaign and push for a funding level, but if its just an alternative to Patreon? But, if this does happen and since kickstarter can work, please use kickstarter so I won't have to reset my password and all that nonsense. I'm still current on kickstarter login.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Nice! Care to share the technical setup?

Yes, the canvas is a DynaSun W604 measuring 4x6m on Ravelli ABSL stands measuring 4x4.5m.
As for the lights, they are all white balanced at 5500k. To illuminate the canvas, I have a pair of large shop lights with dual bulbs. To illuminate the actor/scene, I use led lights by Yongnuo: 3x YN600 L II and 2x YN300 III (would rather exchange one 300 for a 600, but ok). Three 600 and one 300 are used for the main subject illumination (key and fill lights), while the remaining 300 is used as a hair light mounted on a stand and boom behind the subject.
The camera is an old Nikon D90 with a 1.8f 50mm fixed lens set up all manually to keep the lighting and focusing conditions in place.
On the software side, I use Sofortbild as the interface with the camera. Finally, to remove the green automatically, I use PhotoKey 8 Pro.

Hand-drawn normal maps might be a good help for getting the lighting right for the characters. Something like this here: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._normal_maps_in_The_Siege_and_the_Sandfox.php

As I read, it still appears to be a whole lot of manual work to achieve that. I will take a look at the two other (semi-automatic) techniques mentioned in the article. Realistically though, each character has hundreds of frames of animation, so unless I find a completely automatic way of doing normal maps, I will never invest so much time into this. The actors look pretty decent to me in the game's lighting.

Thanks! I think about crowdfunding all the time, but not just yet. Need to produce the prologue (demo) or at least a decent video first. On the web site (callofsaregnar.com) there is a Paypal donation link. At $30 you can preorder the game. ;)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
It's been a long time since I shared something with you fine folks. Here's a preview of a couple animations on the combat grid. Working hard to get all the animations done and combat working.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
That's cool. And fast!
If I'd have to point out something, although not something that really bothers me, at 0:10 it feels a bit like he slides.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
That's cool. And fast!
If I'd have to point out something, although not something that really bothers me, at 0:10 it feels a bit like he slides.

Thanks. I see, certain things I won't be able to fix due to the frames of animation I have. Walking was particularly tough to do, so there may be some small issues like the one you mentioned. Speed, animation details, etc. are all still subject to change. Once the entire combat is in place I will tweak those.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
It's a bit of a mess I know. Wanted to have a separate personal and CoS-related channel. The second one is the recent one, which is supposed to only be used for the game, but I haven't taken the time to upload the old videos on (and taken the others off the old one). I wish I could simply transfer them between accounts, but apparently it's not possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a bit of a mess I know. Wanted to have a separate personal and CoS-related channel. The second one is the recent one, which is supposed to only be used for the game, but I haven't taken the time to upload the old videos on (and taken the others off the old one). I wish I could simply transfer them between accounts, but apparently it's not possible.

You should probably rename the second one to Call of Saregnar or Legendworks then, no?

ushas

Savant
That's cool. And fast!

Thanks. I see, certain things I won't be able to fix due to the frames of animation I have. Walking was particularly tough to do, so there may be some small issues like the one you mentioned. Speed, animation details, etc. are all still subject to change. Once the entire combat is in place I will tweak those.
Yeah, I've heard animations are pretty tricky. That's why added it doesn't bother me, can imagine tweaking for small changes to be too time consuming. There are probably gonna be also shadows, right.

Nice, how many types of weapons do you plan?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Yeah, I've heard animations are pretty tricky. That's why added it doesn't bother me, can imagine tweaking for small changes to be too time consuming. There are probably gonna be also shadows, right.

Nice, how many types of weapons do you plan?

I’ll have some simple blob shadows for characters.

Each character has one to two possible weapons + unarmed. As characters are predefined, each character specializes in different weapons. One may have sword + crossbow combo, another a sword + throwing knives, a magician only a staff. This was chosen due to the limitations the live action footage realistically permits within my budget.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
Each character has one to two possible weapons + unarmed. As characters are predefined, each character specializes in different weapons. One may have sword + crossbow combo, another a sword + throwing knives, a magician only a staff. This was chosen due to the limitations the live action footage realistically permits within my budget.
You know, good things came out of limitations. So why not call it feature:cool:

Seriously, feels somehow refreshing. Although, yeah, people will likely complain, even when sympathetic to your budget constraints. So it won't be bad if you can spin it somehow. Perhaps it can offer some advantages to usual [million types of weapons everybody can equip] mechanic, etc. (meant to players)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
You know, good things came out of limitations. So why not call it feature:cool:

Seriously, feels somehow refreshing. Although, yeah, people will likely complain, even when sympathetic to your budget constraints. So it won't be bad if you can spin it somehow. Perhaps it can offer some advantages to usual [million type of weapons everybody can equip] situation, etc. (meant to players)

Indeed. I don’t see it as a downside anyway. I plan to have fewer weapon upgrades, but the ones you’ll get, will be that much more fleshed out, so you’ll feel the difference in combat, once you equip that new sword you got. I never really understood the whole thousands-of-items mentality, so my mind is at peace here.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012

Hunted down a tough animation bug just last night, so I thought I’d share some quick combat anims/AI to show the current state of combat. Very much WIP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom