Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
If I decide to include puzzles, they'll have to fit the world/lore/story. I never liked puzzles thrown in just for the sake of it. Wordlock chests in BaK fit in, as they were meant as a means of communication between the moredhel. The combat traps also had a reason to be there, although the execution was so so. In my game, I don't know... I'd love to have puzzle chests, but I have yet to find a way to do them.

garren

Arcane
Patron
How fantastical is the setting? You could have just "fairy chests" or whatever that reward those willing to find them, and solve their puzzles. I don't also see why you couldn't just copy the moredhel idea, you know, enemy troops using them for communication and equipment and such. It would also be cool if you had to work to even be able to read them, not just automatically having a party member understanding them but having to actually find a person or a spell somewhere that makes them readable. Could be a cool quest, you find a chest with unintelligible text that you cant open, so you must ask around doing a bit of detective work to find a person/spell to help understand it. The chest languages could be different too so you have to learn ways to decipher multiple languages or runes.

Like, the fairy chests could be your common riddles like those in BaK, maybe the enemy chest would have an answer that makes it easy for the enemy, only something their kind would easily know, like "who was sacrificed at Betrayer's River that earned it its call name?", and you have no idea what river that even is, so you'd have to learn the games lore and locations and stuff to find the answer. It would be nice to also be able to mark the map with the location of the chest for later return and also copy the chest text to journal with a button once deciphered so you don't have to return to the location later to look at the puzzle. Depending on the chest's theme the loot would be a bit different. And why so many word chests? Maybe some ancient race (faeries) the the idea first and others just copied it later.

Just some fun ideas I had, lol. :lol:

V_K

Arcane
If you have dungeons in your game, there's really no lore-related excuse not to have some door-opening puzzles and traps in them. Unless those dungeons were build by an extremely dumb and trusting civilization. :D
I don't mean DM-style abstract puzzles of course, but something like the designs in Star Trail, Wizardry 7 or Arx.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
How fantastical is the setting? You could have just "fairy chests" or whatever that reward those willing to find them, and solve their puzzles. I don't also see why you couldn't just copy the moredhel idea, you know, enemy troops using them for communication and equipment and such. It would also be cool if you had to work to even be able to read them, not just automatically having a party member understanding them but having to actually find a person or a spell somewhere that makes them readable. Could be a cool quest, you find a chest with unintelligible text that you cant open, so you must ask around doing a bit of detective work to find a person/spell to help understand it. The chest languages could be different too so you have to learn ways to decipher multiple languages or runes.

Like, the fairy chests could be your common riddles like those in BaK, maybe the enemy chest would have an answer that makes it easy for the enemy, only something their kind would easily know, like "who was sacrificed at Betrayer's River that earned it its call name?", and you have no idea what river that even is, so you'd have to learn the games lore and locations and stuff to find the answer. It would be nice to also be able to mark the map with the location of the chest for later return and also copy the chest text to journal with a button once deciphered so you don't have to return to the location later to look at the puzzle. Depending on the chest's theme the loot would be a bit different. And why so many word chests? Maybe some ancient race (faeries) the the idea first and others just copied it later.

Just some fun ideas I had, lol. :lol:

These are some fine ideas. Will make a note to refer to once I get chests on my brain.

If you have dungeons in your game, there's really no lore-related excuse not to have some door-opening puzzles and traps in them. Unless those dungeons were build by an extremely dumb and trusting civilization. :D
I don't mean DM-style abstract puzzles of course, but something like the designs in Star Trail, Wizardry 7 or Arx.

You got my attention at Star Trail. I liked the style of puzzles that game had. Anyway, despite the game being very "overworldy", there are a few underground areas in the game, so I'll be able to apply some puzzle/investigation logic into them.

I really shows I haven't given much though into this sort of thing yet.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
it doesn't have the ensuing 20-minute argument about where to rest
You can't tell that from a screenshot. Maybe it's just the beginning of discussion.

He didn't even post the best bit. Like real pen-and-paper games, you can just tell him to fuck off...

DybocZdWkAYU82a.png:large

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to be nitpicking but I am not sure 'observed' is the appropriate verb, as the character doesn't really observe anything, he merely states an opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom