Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zog it, just ask nealiios what he thinks about the character models and all.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, sorry I missed all this stuff before. I didn't get any notifications in my e-mail, so I didn't know any of this was going on until Rhu dropped a line and said "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY." :) I've been a very busy beaver over the past couple of months, so even if I had received the e-mails, might not have seen them anyway. Ten billion things going on at once, so I don't have a lot of time to chat ATM, but what I will say is I love what Rhu has done so far. He's kind of steering a middle course between BAK and what I'm doing with Remastered. We're both going to end up deviating, but in different ways. He's clearly starting off with new content, i.e. a whole new game that looks like uprezzed BAK, which is awesome. I'm currently reproducing the guts of BAK with the aim of ultimately shelling out the content but keeping most of the mechanics relatively the same (essentially I'm treating the original game as "placeholder text" for a completely new title.) In both cases, everyone gets another taste of something that looks and feels like Krondor, but on two different paths, which is great. More power to him (and to all the folks who have been using BAK as their spring boards for "spiritual sequels." Seriously, I've lost count of the Kickstarter projects that have name checked BAK, which thrilled my ancient, jaded ol heart.

Rock on.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Oh, one more thing. If any of you lot are coming to Comic Con next week, I've got Chris Avellone on my "Writing for the Computer Gaming Industry Panel," on Friday between 5:00 - 6:00 in Room 9. Would love to see any of you that can join us. And if you're a Codexer, please come up and introduce yourself. It's cool to put real life faces behind the names. :)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, one more thing. If any of you lot are coming to Comic Con next week, I've got Chris Avellone on my "Writing for the Computer Gaming Industry Panel," on Friday between 5:00 - 6:00 in Room 9. Would love to see any of you that can join us. And if you're a Codexer, please come up and introduce yourself. It's cool to put real life faces behind the names. :)
All the good stuff happens in America. :negative:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Wait a minute, is this the West Coast or East Coast one?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
That civilian sure's got balls to walk up to a Moredhel like that.

QwFTdt6.gif

Last edited:

Guy de Incognito

Ensit Media
Developer
Nice, are you going to model every character by hand or are you going to have them dynamically constructed from a stock of different faces, builds, sets of clothes and so on?

Oh, and I wanted to link to this before, might come in useful :)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Nice one, will have to pay special attention to my fences it seems ;)

I haven't decided yet, on how to do clothing and multiple variations. An idea is to have a minimal number of models and have many different textures applied to them. I will probably not fuss with changing clothing while changing equipment... or perhaps only on the player party characters. Weapons, I will, definitely use real 3d models and switch them around upon (un-)equipping. I may model armor separately, but I have the feeling it might not do well on low-poly characters (if I figure out how it is done, anyway).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Different textures should do the job, having multiple armour meshes and then having to ensure they don't clip and aren't attached wrongly to bone nodes is effort best spent on combat and shit.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Any moe stuffs going on on this, or nothing new? I need my dose of shame at my lethargy and laziness.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Hah, working on pathfinding as a base for combat. Nothing to see here now, move along... may have something new in the next couple of weeks though. ;)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I am still working out bugs in the turn-based combat system, but now – dear bros – I would like your opinion on some other matter.

From time to time my brain starts thinking about the UI, and more specifically about how to present it to the player. The inventory, stats, encounter texts, etc. are examples of views that will be presented to the player while exploring the 3D world. What I am undecided about, is whether to show the views as small-ish windows on top of the 3D first-person view, or fullscreen views (essentially hiding and pausing the game in the background). Many old games did the latter and that's what I am gravitating towards. I'd like to know your opinion on the matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom