Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I think the problem is not just the way you model the trees, but also the way your enging blurs the texture on the perpendicular side.
Having more angles, like in Gothic, could also improve things.

Yeah, the main problem I see is the engine (Unity) handling the texturing of perpendicular objects. Like gaussgunner suggested I may solve it by gradually fading the perpendicular quads into view as the angle approaches 45deg or so.

What look do you see the final UI having ? Pixel-realism like the rest of the game (would be awesome) or slightly more cartoonish ?

Pretty much as it is I think. Do you find it too cartoonish?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I may modify the UI/icons to be just a bit more realistic (add more shades of colour basically). Thanks.

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Left: original, Right: Corrected some colours, added more colour shades, also added indigo to shadows.
SPIbPQL.png

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Left: original, Right: Corrected some colours, added more colour shades, also added indigo to shadows.
SPIbPQL.png

First coloring is better, and as i said this UI is good as is, and the gold/black thing is warm and elegant.
Don't fret over what i said earlier, it just meant that icons based on textures instead of pixel art would have been a good fit to the game world...

gaussgunner

Arcane
I checked on another monitor. The new one looks better to me. Could use a little less red though. White, if you want realism. Parchment and quality paper don't turn yellow like the newer acid-processed crap.

Reinar

Scholar
I really like the art style. It has the oldschool feel while not beying pathetic hipster pixel art without style. I am fiddling with my own game that started as a M&M 7 tribute and I am kinda amused how we ended up with the same UI arrangement.

From time to time my brain starts thinking about the UI, and more specifically about how to present it to the player. The inventory, stats, encounter texts, etc. are examples of views that will be presented to the player while exploring the 3D world. What I am undecided about, is whether to show the views as small-ish windows on top of the 3D first-person view, or fullscreen views (essentially hiding and pausing the game in the background). Many old games did the latter and that's what I am gravitating towards. I'd like to know your opinion on the matter.
What I did was making each screen a separate draggable window either 512x768 or 1024x768 pixels big. I don't have to deal with scaling, which is nice. The game pauses while a GUI element is open.

Reinar

Scholar
I am not sure if we understand each other. I don't have anything against pixel art if it's done right. For example Dex is my favourite modern pixel art game. I don't like games that scream "let's do it in pixel art because it's now cool and we suck at drawing and have no creative ideas".

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm terribly sorry for deviating from the topic. I'm enthusiastic about this game like anyone else here.

Mustawd

I am not sure if we understand each other. I don't have anything against pixel art if it's done right. For example Dex is my favourite modern pixel art game. I don't like games that scream "let's do it in pixel art because it's now cool and we suck at drawing and have no creative ideas".

Maybe he means this?

e86.png

1-fist-of-awesome.jpg

ded5c05dfaad05ef80a707e34111073c.gif

I hope so because to me well done pixel art is p. nice.

995493422621985966.gif

big1.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Maybe he means this?

e86.png

1-fist-of-awesome.jpg

ded5c05dfaad05ef80a707e34111073c.gif

I hope so because to me well done pixel art is p. nice.

995493422621985966.gif

big1.gif
:bro:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Any major progress yet?
Going pretty slowly, but I keep banging at it. :)

I've set up the time so that is passes only when moving. The characters now also regain endurance with time and lose health/endurance if running out of food. Lastly I've been creating some more tree billboards and refining the old ones so that they look good from all sides. Next, I may start working on the inventory/stats screen.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
1ZPdnXt.png

As part of the game UI, I've been fiddling with the party money indicator.

"S" is Savillon, gold currency. It is worth 50 silver coins.

"O" is Oshen, silver currency. It is worth 12 bronze coins.

"L" is Leshen, bronze currency.

Which one do you prefer? I'm all for C. Can do explanations on the currency when hovering over/clicking the widgets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom