Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can´t get fallout 1 running on windows 2000

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Being a bit nostalgic I decided to install the good old fallout 1 on my windows 2000 pc. Installation went fine and I decided to start it up.
And then it all went to hell....this game won´t work with this version of windows...aaargh!
Anyone knows how to get fallout working under w2000?
I´ve searched some pages and found nothing but with this bunch of rpg wackos theres bound to be someone who ran into the same problem. :wink:
Cya,

Trash

Deathy

Liturgist
Installation went fine?

That doesn't seem right. It's the setup program that does the OS check.
You shouldn't have been able to install unless you did a manual install, shown at the FAQ at http://www.interplay.com/fallout

You could try the DOS executable (and install program), but you're likely to get no sound.

Patching might work too.

Jarinor

Liturgist
If memory serves, Fallout won't install under Windows NT, unless you have some service pack or something like that. Given that Win 2000 uses the same kernel as NT, you're likely to have the same problem of it not working.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix it. I'm just pointing out the obvious here :).

Deathy

Liturgist
Jarinor said:
If memory serves, Fallout won't install under Windows NT, unless you have some service pack or something like that. Given that Win 2000 uses the same kernel as NT, you're likely to have the same problem of it not working.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix it. I'm just pointing out the obvious here :).

Fallout wont install under Windows NT based operating systems, however, you can do a manual install.

Astromarine

Erudite
erm, which version? I have one of those "white box" thingies with fallout 1 and 2, and I am playing 1 *perfectly* under win 2000...

Astro

Psilon

Erudite
I seem to remember using the Win95 "compatibility mode" to install Fallout under Win2K. Fooled the OS check and everything went fine.

Jed

Cipher
From the Official Site (http://www.interplay.com/fallout/faq.html):

How can I install to WinNT?
NT users can get around the installer by manually installing the game themselves. Note however that you must have at least NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 in order to play the game. Also, Fallout should work fine but was not tested very much under NT.

For the instructions below, I will assume that you have created a folder called FALLOUT on your C: drive and that the drive the Fallout CD is in is your D: drive. Insert your actual drive letters where appropriate.

1. Copy d:\program\win\falloutw.___ to c:\fallout\falloutw.exe.

2. Create a text file in c:\fallout called fallout.cfg and add the following line to it:
[system]

3. You now have 4 options corresponding to the 4 install sizes:
3a. Do not copy anything else. This is the same as the smallest install, but is also the slowest way to play the game. If you do this, make sure you follow the steps in 3b, 3c & 3d below for editing the config file.

3b. Copy d:\master.dat to c:\fallout\master.dat. This file is 318 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the following on the next line in c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:
master_dat=d:\master.dat

3c. Copy d:\critter.dat to c:\fallout\critter.dat. This file is 150 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the following on the next line in c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:
critter_dat=d:\critter.dat

3d. Copy the entire d:\data folder to c:\fallout\data. This is 73 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the following two lines to c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:
[sound]
music_path2=d:\data\sound\music

4. Add the following line to your [system] block:
free_space=0

5. Make sure you close and save your changes to the c:\fallout\fallout.cfg file.

For example, if you chose to not copy any of the data files over, you should have a fallout.cfg file that looks like this:

[system]
master_dat=d:\master.dat
critter_dat=d:\critter.dat
free_space=0
[sound]
music_path2=d:\data\sound\music

That should be it! Just run c:\fallout\falloutw.exe to play the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks for all the help people, going home in a little while to try out what the faq suggested.
Btw, I wasn't able to install the game in the first place...had a busy morning and I forgot that I got the error at the install screen instead of the startup one. Didn't try the dos install, I hate it when a game has no sound.
Well, I hope it will work.
Cya,

Trash

Peregrine

Novice
I know this is an old thread, but this is the same problem I'm having. I did a manual install in Windows 2000 exactly as the instructions said in the FAQ and this thread, but once I had moved over the files, I can't run the game. I keep getting the message "not enough free hard disk space. Fallout requires at least 20.0 megabytes of hard disk space." I have many gig hard disk space available, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I saw that you have to add a free_space=0 line, maybe that is causing the problem?

DocMorbius

Novice
To install Fallout in Windows 2000, select "start-run" and run this line of code:
regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
(NOTE: you must have service pack 2 or higher installed)
Then create an icon on the desktop to the "setup" file on the CD (not the "setup_" file).
rightclick the icon, select "properties", then the "compatibility" tab. Check the box reading "run in compatibility mode" with the Windows 95 option in the drop-down list showing and click "okay". Now double click the "setup" icon on the desktop and the setup program should run normally, showing the correct (or close(er) to it) amount of available free disk space.
It worked for me, even after the manual installation did not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom