Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

can someone recommend me a good full-version RPG that's free

i've already played dink smallwood and beat it. i'm in search of a game that doesn't crash every five minutes like Prelude To Darkness has been doing. i'm also looking for either a game like prelude, or something similar to zelda.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Ion Flux said:
Dude. I thought Bethsoft disputed the abandonware status of DF. This is cool, I'm going to play it.

It does. This download is illegal. But by all means, play it. It's infinitely better than Morrowind and Oblivion. The Elder Scrolls have not always been shit.

Kraszu said:

Free? Do you work for the site or something?

edit: I remember this game! Quite fun actually, but it is not free on the website you linked. The original developer, somebody Lafebvre (or however the frogs spell that damned name), had a website with downloads. The website seems to have been axed though.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ion Flux said:
Wyrmlord said:
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/elder-scrolls-daggerfall-the/download/1650/

Dude. I thought Bethsoft disputed the abandonware status of DF. This is cool, I'm going to play it.
Stop saying it out loud, those Slovakians running that site might hear, and they are still unaware that it is not abandonware.

I would honestly claim to be the most honest gamer around, but I seriously doubt Bethesda will lose sleep at night because someone downloaded a copy of a game they made 12 years ago. No more than id getting bothered by people downloading doom2.wad. There is a purpose behind the law, which does not apply at all here.

Moreover, you will not find either a used or unused copy of that game for any less than $60. That is outright robbery for a 12 year old game. Outright robbery.

Wyrmlord said:
Ion Flux said:
Wyrmlord said:
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/elder-scrolls-daggerfall-the/download/1650/

Stop saying it out loud, those Slovakians running that site might hear, and they are still unaware that it is not abandonware.

I would honestly claim to be the most honest gamer around, but I seriously doubt Bethesda will lose sleep at night because someone downloaded a copy of a game they made 12 years ago. No more than id getting bothered by people downloading doom2.wad. There is a purpose behind the law, which does not apply at all here.

Moreover, you will not find either a used or unused copy of that game for any less than $60. That is outright robbery for a 12 year old game. Outright robbery.

They pulled their manuals from replacement docs. Even the manual for Arena can you believe it...

Anyway, I cannot find a free download of Dark Disciples anywhere. Shame. The developer had been working on DD2 for some time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Really? That's just being ridiculous. They themselves have put out a (shitty) floppy version of Arena for download on their own website but they don't want to be put out public as well.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

By the way, I found that link today itself, and I just played a bit of it.

This is a REAL RPG. Yes, it's first-person and real-time, but there are lots of stats behind your character and it has a very well defined character creation system. It's a good technical and mathematical game. It just feels closer to the more traditional RPGs. I also like how the game asks whether you have slow, fast, or average reflexes. Because you can always be assured that your stats are playing the battles and not your twitching.

nomask7

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
you will not find either a used or unused copy of that game for any less than $60. That is outright robbery for a 12 year old game. Outright robbery.
What's more, if you buy it used, the only person or entity who will profit from the transaction is the one selling the copy, and he may or may not be affiliated with the company that, once upon a time, hired some people to make that game. Even if you bought an old game in a new Old Goodies Collection, no part of the money would likely go to anyone who deserves it, and you would be creating an unnecessary carbon footprint as well (if you believe in carbon footprints; I don't, but I'm mentioning it anyway, since many do).

PS. Only timid people pay for a game.

PPS. To support quality games, first let the corrupt corporate game industry die of piracy. No game is good enough to be supported. You may think that MotB was a great game, but in fact it's an average game that only looks great because the game industry as a whole is sick and needs to die.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Aye, in Daggerfall's case, the entity corporate aside, not many who actually put their hard work into the game are with the company any more, so it's not like they will benefit from the transcation either.

nomask7

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
nomask7 said:
Only non-jewish people pay for a game.
Go away with your zionist propaganda.
I take it you're selling a copy. What is it, 50 bucks? Only 40?

As for getting Daggerfall to work, I didn't.

PS. I'm speaking as someone who got Warhammer: Dark Omen to work without a glitch.

PPS. Dark Omen is probably the best game ever made.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
nomask7 said:
Darth Roxor said:
nomask7 said:
Only non-jewish people pay for a game.
Go away with your zionist propaganda.
I take it you're selling a copy. What is it, 50 bucks? Only 40?

As for getting Daggerfall to work, I didn't.

PS. I'm speaking as someone who got Warhammer: Dark Omen to work without a glitch.

PPS. Dark Omen is probably the best game ever made.[/quote

You wouldn't happen to know how to get Chaos Gate to work would you? I've wanted to try it out, but I can't get it to work on XP and VirtualPC is being a bitch.]

ricolikesrice

Arcane
realms of arcania : blade of destiny, star trail and shadows over riva (star trail is the best but all 3 are better than anything released in the last 10 to 15 years ).

they might take a bit of time getting into and arent flawless but once you re in, you got 200+ hours of pure awesome ahead. i envy you.

forget our earlier differences over mediocre FPS, you sir are a man of good taste.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Imbecile said:
How easy is it to get Daggerfall up and running? Bear in mind I'm pretty shite at anything that is teh complicated
Figures Slovakian is really understandable to a Slovenian.

In short:
-install the game to a directory of choice
-it will create a bat file on your desktop, run it
-press any key
-if moving the mouse affects only the black dosbox cursor, but not the in-game cursor located in the upper-left corner, press CTRL+F10
-that's pretty much it

Note: if the game freezes at the main menu, try starting the game via keyboard by pressing the S key, and only then enable the cursor via the CTRL+F10 key combo.

I assume you won't need to detect your sound card's settings, but if the sound shouldn't work, go into the directory where you installed daggerfall, and run Daggerfall.Setup.bat.

Wyrmlord, thanks, much appreciated :D

nomask7

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
nomask7 said:

forget our earlier differences over mediocre FPS, you sir are a man of good taste.
I know. But is it possible that you, sir, are confusing me with someone else?

BloodyPuppy said:
You wouldn't happen to know how to get Chaos Gate to work would you? I've wanted to try it out, but I can't get it to work on XP and VirtualPC is being a bitch.
I've never tried it. It sounds pretty different from Dark Omen, but I guess I might as well try it, since it's free! I've never used VirtualPC, whatever it is, or any sort of virtual OS for anything.

mondblut

Arcane
Prelude to Darkness. If bugs don't get you.

Realmz has recently gone freeware, too. You still have to pay for additional scenarios though, I think.

Betrayal at Krondor is officially free. So is TES:Arena, although it ain't exactly good.

Nahlakh is free, so is Tower of Darkness and Pirates of Western Sea, if bugs don't get you again.

There is a freeware modern remake of Dungeon Master somewhere.

And then, suddenly there is "abandonware". Thousands of them.

ushdugery

Scholar
BloodyPuppy said:

man I loved shadow of the horned rat and I downloaded the version of dark omen off home of the underdogs but I couldn't get it to work what kind of freaky magic did you pull on it?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Aye, in Daggerfall's case, the entity corporate aside, not many who actually put their hard work into the game are with the company any more, so it's not like they will benefit from the transcation either.

Who is still there? I know there's Todd... who else?

Cassidy

Arcane
I usually don't recommend JRPGs, but I must make an exception for this:

Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

something similar to zelda.

Although it is not a real RPG(and neither Zelda is), there is Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Most versions in sites like Home of the Underdogs are crappy CD-rips though. Some torrents with the full iso, soundtrack and cutscenes are available as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom