Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Casey Hudson takes over BioWare

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
If you want a real reply don't paraphrase my posts to type silly one or two word comments. I understand I need to be very specific with you as there critical thought does not exist.

To even make the claim that PoE is one of the best RPG you've played just reflects poorly on yourself (IMO Tyranny had a better combat system and equally garbage story) and then to say Skyrim tops lists is being disingenuous. I was meaning RPG lists Skyrim is an "action/adventure" game with some minor RPG elements not an RPG.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They should just hire Obsidian to make a Dragons Age game. Would be interesting to see what would happen when developers with more than a modicum of talent are given the IP again.

Have you played Obsidian's latest works? They are pretty much Bioware-lite in terms of garbage writing and hamfisted "progressive" characters/ideals. For Obsidian to even be considered they'd have to fire many of their talentless writers like Carrie Patel. They'd also need a time machine to get Sawyer back to Fo:NV era before his testosterone levels declined and his brain with it.

If current Obsidian made a DA game I would bet my life it would be inferior in both gameplay and story to the above average DA:O.
I have not. Neither Tyranny nor POE interested me enough to try them. I've no doubt however that Obsidian still has more talent than Bioware.
Bioware most certainty have a lot of talent in their studio.It is filled with capable blogers,cosplayers,makeup artists,oppression fighters,rioters,orators,trannies,starbucks critics,tree colours ending gay and a crapochino maker guy.Now it will be a good thing if any of them knew anything about games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What do you understand as RPG elements?If it is skill points and shit.then it have more than most pan and paper games like BG.If it is more literal and immersion...well there are people that have waisted 1000 hours in the game.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
As with most Bioware discussions, this one ends up talking about Skyrim.

I fucking hate Skyrim. But, Bioware really needs to make better games when all BW discussions lead to Skyrim.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I have not. Neither Tyranny nor POE interested me enough to try them. I've no doubt however that Obsidian still has more talent than Bioware.

I really don't understand the logic here. A valid analogy would be me saying "I've not played a Bioware game since NWN I am sure they are still a talented developer." Basically your opinion of Obsidian is only looking at their good older work and not their current decline of poor stories and "balance".

You get my point though right?
While New Vegas released 7 years ago, and the lead creative designer, as well as avellone are gone. Sawyer, as well as many of the developers who made New Vegas what it was still remain. It seems rash to write them off entirely. Like writing Kojima off for MGS4, as well as MGSV. Or MGS twin snakes.

At least they could make it big in the gay scene if they wished.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If current Obsidian made a DA game I would bet my life it would be inferior in both gameplay and story to the above average DA:O.

Yeah, only PoE was far superior in BOTH story and gameplay to the very average DA:O.

PoEs story may not have been pulp-tier like DAOs but at least the latter didn't annoy people with endless meandering walls of text at every opportunity.
Same goes for the rule system. DAO was broken in many parts, but broken mechanics in a single player game are not a big deal and way more fun than :balance:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, always the Balance meme, eh? Did you actually give PoE an honest try? There's plenty of neat, overpowered stuff in there also. Trust me, it's not all banal, boring and overbalanced (unlike Lords of Xulima). Plenty of overpowered skills, spells and items (the latter particularly true for the DLC content). And, believe it or not, plenty of FUN to be had.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Eh, always the Balance meme, eh? Did you actually give PoE an honest try? There's plenty of neat, overpowered stuff in there also. Trust me, it's not all banal, boring and overbalanced (unlike Lords of Xulima). Plenty of overpowered skills, spells and items (the latter particularly true for the DLC content). And, believe it or not, plenty of FUN to be had.
Both game are fun!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both game are fun!

Both games where shit but alt-east DAO had some fun moments; Pillows on the other hand... Of course did not wanted to torture myself to replay the patched version with all DLCs; For me Obsirdian ended up with Fallout New Vegas but most people working there either quit (Avalone, Gonzales) or become bore like SJWs and balance fanatics. Still had some fun from Tyranny and I did not touched any Bioware game since ME3.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I pirated it when it came out since I don't trust kickstarted games. I got to the first big city and just... stopped because there was nothing to work towards.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree Defiance Bay is a bit of a let down. Pacing is very bad. But even that has some good quests.

And, well, character building offers many options and, sometimes very impactful, abilities.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I pirated it when it came out since I don't trust kickstarted games. I got to the first big city and just... stopped because there was nothing to work towards.
It is an RPG,it is not CoD!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Welp
DGQaPV4XUAAOvEa.jpg

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hudson also did Kotor 1, which was hailed back in the day.

Thing is, the problems of Bioware games were always there. I remember an introduction in the manual of BG2, where one of the founders talked about the most important thing for Bioware-games: telling stories. And they stayed true to that. Are the stories good? Eh, your milleage may vary, but compared to games like Fallout 1/2 or even the follow ups to their own games (like Kotor and NWN) they were always light on the mechanics, which is biting them into the ass now ... or not, since they still earn money with their games. But the longer Bioware stays in business, the more clearer it becomes, that they make movies and not games. 20 hour movies, who fall apart after a while, because nobody wants to play 20 hours of movie. But I still think that the focus on action in DA:I could work, if they create good mechanics around it. It would also fit their cinematic approach more. That's why I can't play DA: O anymore: it wants to be a fastpaced dramatic movie, but the mechanics are to slow, so dialogues and gameplay get boring. The best they really can do is to put more gameplay into their games and cut on dialogues. There are other ways to tell stories in videogames and mechanics are also a narrative tool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom