Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Catacomb Kids - a brutal roguelite platformer with dynamic environmental interaction

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 11, 2014.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    2013 trailer:

Rock and rolling gameplay:

Also there's several alpha LP videoss on YouTube.

The developer is aiming to finish the game by early next year.

http://www.ckgame.net/

http://catakids.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. H-K Learned

H-K
    When can we stop calling games that doesn't resemble rogue in any way shape or form a "X roguelike"?

Procedural generation alone does not a rouguelike make and neither do permadeath.
    :popamole::x:keepmyjewgold:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    OK, at least I changed the thread title. (In before Procedural Death Labyrinth.)

^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
  5. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Has anyone tried this? Any good?

^ Top  
  6. No and no

^ Top  
  7. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Yes and yes.

I suggest watching some more skilled people doing LPs. But as a brief summary:

Game is hard as balls. I've yet to make it past level 3.
    Game is quite fair. You can always backtrack if you feel a challenge is unfair or impossible, and just get another random layout of the same floor level. traps have visual cues, enemies telegraph their attacks, nothing feels like bullshit.
    Stats/perks you get from levelling up make a huge difference. Intelligence makes it much, much easier to notice traps, for example. And the perks to actual useful things, like letting you aim thrown objects with a plotted trajectory, or changing your sprint so it automatically evades traps and can run up walls. They seem to be mutually exclusive with some other options you can get for the same stat, but I haven't gotten far enough to be able to test that yet. Also, you have a limited amount of spells you can learn which increases with levels, and this 'room' for learning spells is in direct competition with learning other useful traits (not the ones you gain from stats, but a different kind you can learn another way.)
    Starting characters are quite varied. Right now there are only two classes, and I've only been playing one of them, but even there, there's a huge variance in starting equipment and perks/flaws. One character might have 2 hp, a shitty broken dagger and a pile of useful traits like sneaky or skill with daggers. Another might have 5 hp, a pile of awful flaws and some amazing armour that grants telepathy.
    Dungeon interaction is pretty solid. I've only been to the first 3 floors, and they seem to introduce more shit as I get deeper. But already there are various types of traps, you can do things like knock over torches to set fires, smash bridges or crush enemies with boulders, or even get enemies to start fighting eachother simply by skillful dodging.
    Combat is very solid. There are a whole pile of extra weapon skills you can learn. The most I got was with daggers, and I had a sort of flying kick to knock enemies back, and a sort of flurry attack where I zipped back and forth multiple times. I also had a chance to learn a move where I fall on enemies from above for massive damage, but never got to try it out. There's also blocking, parrying, stagger and knockback and all sorts of other good shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Welp I just finished The Binding of Isaac barring Mega Satan so it's time to move into another game.

EDIT: Early Access and montly releases? Jetpacking outta here.

^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I wonder if the Adventure Time aesthetic is intentionally rip-offy or a coincidence. Even the logo is similar.

fake edit: nevermind, it's the same artist.

Looks mighty interesting but the EA price is still a bit high for the current amount of content. Will keep an eye on it.

This video shows a lot of environmental interactions in a short time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  10. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Had no idea about the boiling water/poisoning water/mushroom cooking thing. Though I have noticed that if you smash a potion in an area with fire, the potion boils into a cloud that affects things standing in it (after a little while.)

You can freeze water too, I'm sure that must have some interesting applications as well, besides the obvious of standing on it.

^ Top  
  11. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/315840/announcements/detail/3218297364431242707

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)