Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My char with DV25 just died on 20 floor under Rast/Rasty Archway, floor was filled with snailmothers lol - I mean I saw 5, killed one on that floor and took two with my on previous floor, killed them, and gues what I saw when descended back on 20 floor? Stair was surrounded by eekslugs, and char slipped on slime so he fall from stair.
When he was near stair he was stunned, shook of stun, stanned again, lost 100 hp for that time, successfully climb the stair, and I think died from poison lready on 19 floor.......

I think, you need recipe to counter illness, and handle these thing very careful, for me it was first big experience with them.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Snailmothers and Chutecrabs are death sentences, they are worse than Chrome Pyramids.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - January 5, 2018
6 JANUARY - ALPHABEARD
  • We refreshed the Photosynthetic Skin mutation to account for the recent hunger changes.
    • You can bask in the sunlight instead of eating a meal to gain a special metabolizing effect: +(20 + mutationLevel*4)% regeneration and +(mutationLevel + 3) / 2 Quickness.
    • This effect doesn't stack with other metabolizing effects and lasts for a limited time. If you're underground, you'll have to return to the surface to bask in the sunlight again.
      • Level 1-4 duration: 1 day
      • Level 5-8 duration: 2 days
      • Level 9+ duration: 3 days
    • You accure starch and lignin that you can use as special ingredients in meals you cook. You accrue 1 serving of each for every six hours in the sunlight, up to a maximum based on your mutation level.
      • Level 1-4 max servings: 1 serving of each
      • Level 5-8 max servings: 2 servings of each
      • Level 9+ max servings: 3 servings of each
    • The potency of your starch and lignin increases with mutation level.
    • Instead of becoming famished when you haven't eaten or basked in the sunlight for a while, you wilt (-10% regeneration, -5 Quickness).
    • +200 reputation with roots, trees, vines, and the Consortium of Phyta
  • Added a new music track to the village of Kyakukya.
  • Added new keybindings to zoom in and out (Options > Key Mappings > Display).
  • Renamed Heightened Speed to the more accurate Heightened Quickness.
  • Fixed several rare issues causing soft-locks during map generation.
  • Made some small improvements to the memory footprint.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feature Friday - January 12, 2018
Caves of Qud - ptychomancer

• You can now cook with slime.
  • You can now cook with neutron flux. Do so at your own risk.
  • Named NPCs can now be hated by a faction for insulting various aspects of their culture, not just their women.
  • Named NPCs can now be admired by a faction for praising various aspects of their culture.
  • Rivers that course through the salt desert are now rivers of salt.
  • We made a bunch of performance improvements for late games (games with high-level player characters that have explored a lot of the world).
    • Reduced save file size by 30-90% across the board, but late games benefit more.
    • Greatly improved memory use in late games.
    • Fixed several issues causing objects to memory leak in late games.
    • Fixed several issues that caused more zones than necessary to be loaded into memory.
  • Objects cloned by temporary metamorphic polygel are now themselves temporary.
  • Fixed an issue that soft-locked the game when you cooked in the Rainbow Wood (and more rarely in a few other places too).
  • Fixed an issue that let you cook with more ingredients than the maximum by selecting too many ingredients, unselecting some, then cooking.
  • Fixed the formatting on some campfire popups.
  • Fixed the position of the target picker help text.
  • Fixed an issue causing some walls to be painted incorrectly after loading a saved game.
  • Improved memory use for some objects.
  • Fixed a rare issue causing objects generated during world generation to not properly spawn in game.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - January 26, 2018
January 26 - ptychomancer
  • We added some more detail to Qud's chefs.
    • Legendary chefs are now interested in learning your recipes during the water ritual.
    • Added mini restaurant tents to the Stiltgrounds, each with a chef. You can buy cooking ingredients, buy a cookbook, or sample one of the meals from the cookbook at the chef's oven. All Stiltground restaurant ovens also serve Hot and Spiny.
    • The restaurant signs currently use the same pepper icon as apothecaries. They'll get an updated sign soon.
  • There's now a tiny chance that any given creature is a mechanical version of itself.
  • The location of the oddly-hued glowpad is now a journal secret.
  • The looker popup box is now smarter about how much screen real estate it uses. It no longer overlaps the object you're looking at.
  • The description pane on the Tinker screen is now scrollable.
  • Cooking effects no longer grant mutations that are excluded by your current mutations.
  • The prerelease trade UI now displays item values properly adjusted by your Ego score and no longer displays way too many significant digits.
  • You can now scroll the looker popup box with '+' and '-' on the number row.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some bad behavior when you closed a conversation with escape instead of selecting the end option.
  • Fixed cybernetic fist equipment showing up with inappropriate mods and spawning as loot.
  • Fixed an issue that let you incorrectly beguile multiple creatures.
  • Inspiring presence no longer stacks multiple times.
  • Fixed some issues with temporary and non-temporary items stacking.
  • Fixed a memory leak in some items that create force fields.
  • Fixed an issue that caused an exception when you walked near a liquid volume with the 'show nearby objects' option enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that caused zones to be thawed too often when you transitioned between zones.
  • Added an unequip:<body part name> wish to force an object to unequip.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - February 2, 2018
February 2 - AlphaBeard
  • Added chronology entries for the following important events in your character's life.
    • Becoming loved by a faction
    • Inventing a new recipe
    • Successfully cooking with neutron flux
    • Getting one of your limbs dismembered
    • Eating a creature's face (raw)
    • Imbuing an inanimate object with life
  • Chronology entries logged while you're on fire now read a bit differently.
  • Lurking beths appear much less frequently in early-game historic dungeons.
  • Moving very, very quickly no longer causes you to move backwards in time.
  • Creature AI now more intelligently reloads cell-based weapons.
  • Fixed an issue causing turrets to improperly use ammo.
  • Fixed an issue that caused energy cells to double-occupy sockets when creature AI reloaded cell-based weapons.
  • Level up choices are no longer trivially scummable.
  • Fixed an issue causing games to become unloadable, especially after using Precognition.
  • Fixed an error that caused games to fail to save when certain cooking effects were applied to your character.
  • Fixed an issue that caused cooking effects to still grant you mutually exclusive mutations.
  • Fixed some cases where cookbooks failed to generate correctly.
  • Fixed an issue causing effects to be improperly applied to item stacks.
  • Fixed an issue causing some ObjectCreated events to not properly trigger.
  • [modding] Mods.xml now supports modding.
  • [modding] Objects now support the customMissileOrder and customMeleeOrder tags and properties, used to define custom melee and missile sequences for the Kill goal handler.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - February 16, 2018
FEBRUARY 16 - ALPHABEARD
  • We did a bunch of behind-the-scenes work on upcoming feature arcs. Across Qud creatures are dreaming of alternate starts, varied villages, and deerfolk...
  • We added metal and gemstone figurines.
    • Figurines depict creatures from across Qud.
    • Possible figurine materials include copper, silver, gold, agate, topaz, jasper, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, and peridot.
    • Wielding figurines bestows bonus reputation for each of the depicted creature's factions.
    • Figurine value and bonus reputation depends on the rarity of its material.
  • We added legendary gemcutters. You'll find their workshops as new overland encounters.
  • Slightly increased the weight of ironweave cloak.
  • Reduced the weight of rainboweave cloak.
  • Apostles now start with the Customs and Folklore skill in addition to the Tactful power. This means apostles no longer have to purchase Customs and Folklore (which was a useful purchase since they already had Tactful) to get Trash Divining.

Codex Year of the Donut
gxSycup.png
playing this was kind of fun but then I had to speak to the developers self insert fursona Queer Girl to progress the main quest and lost all hope for the game. wishing to get killed by anthropomorphic creatures soon to end this nightmare.
my funniest death so far was being sucked into a teleporter vortex by an unseen caster then immediately charged and murdered by a rhinox in the first turn
wait until you find the gender-neutral plant people that refer to each other as 'xer' and 'xerself'

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - February 23, 2018
February 23 - ptychomancer
  • We expanded the framework for creature travel AI and added new travel behavior to some creatures.
    • Some albino apes you encounter are now traveling toward Oboroqoru's lair.
    • Some feral dogs you encounter are now traveling toward humanoid settlements.
    • Some goatfolk you encounter are now traveling toward goatfolk villages.
  • Changed the 'Quit' option text to something much more accurate: 'Abandon Character'.
  • Changed the default action for books to Read.
  • Changed the default action for recoilers to Activate.
  • Crayons and plastic trees no longer rust.
  • Implanted NPCs now start with the proper amount of cybernetic license points.
  • Your party members no longer (easily) become hostile to one another.
  • Speaking to your own party members no longer causes you to regain your bearings.
  • Moved the 'Remove cell' option to the top of the cell dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where cybernetics sometimes became undroppable.
  • Fixed some common causes of extraneous zone generation.
  • Fixed an issue where having Iron Mind didn't always correctly give you the chance to shake off confusion.
  • Fixed some cases where a stack of objects was incorrectly replaced with a single object (eg., when you repaired a stack of scrapped waydroids).
  • Fixed some cases where quests to find historic relics didn't complete if you equipped the relics directly from the ground.
  • Fixed some rare cases where an invalid base object appeared in dynamic encounters.
  • Fixed several issues related to creatures determining the monetary value of their items, including inconsistent valuation when the items were socketed with energy cells.
  • Fixed several typos.
  • Fixed an issue where socketed cells occasionally replicated out of control when you recharged them.

buffalo bill

Arcane
playing this was kind of fun but then I had to speak to the developers self insert fursona Queer Girl to progress the main quest and lost all hope for the game. wishing to get killed by anthropomorphic creatures soon to end this nightmare.
my funniest death so far was being sucked into a teleporter vortex by an unseen caster then immediately charged and murdered by a rhinox in the first turn
wait until you find the gender-neutral plant people that refer to each other as 'xer' and 'xerself'

I'm not even close to an expert (maximum exposure was studying bio for a bit as an undergrad over ten years ago), but as far as I understand it plant reproduction is pretty complex. 'Male' and 'female' are pretty obviously natural kind terms for humans—someone like Judith Butler who says differently is being sort of obtuse imo, and depends on poor vagueness arguments (which are silly, because vagueness is everywhere in nature)—but they are not good natural kind terms for plants, which are often hermaphroditic or asexual or alternating between male (which really just means small-gamete-producing) and female (which really just means large-gamete-producing).

So, in an imaginary world with sentient plants, I don't really see a problem with imagining them using non-standard sex terms for themselves. But I take it your issue is that the dev is smuggling some sort of political agenda into the game. Even if that is so, so what? It doesn't affect the game mechanically, and barely affects the narrative.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - March 2, 2018
MARCH 2 - ALPHABEARD
  • Warden Indrix no longer occasionally takes a sabbatical to another goatfolk village.
  • Clonelings no longer clone inorganic creatures.
  • You can now harvest yondercane from yonderbrush even if it's hostile as long as it's visible.
  • Extradimensional psychic assassin templars with cybernetic implants now have their names appear correctly.
  • Added new descriptions for acid gas, stun gas, sleep gas, blinding gas, and stinking gas.
  • Jewelers now occasionally stock figurines.
  • The left-most tile of the Edification relief is now correctly labeled.
  • Charge is now a prerequisite for Charging Strike.
  • Renamed 'pentacips' to 'pentaceps'.
  • Gave the tunnels beneath Grit Gate a more appropriate name.
  • Gave the 'tar-encrusted bones' tile a more appropriate color.
  • Removed the prompt to save the game before abandoning a character.
  • Added an option to disable smoke.
  • Did some restructuring of the object hierarchy.
  • Fixed a broken branch of Wardens' Esther dialog.
  • Fixed an issue causing some achievements and quests to not properly trigger when equipping an item directly from the ground.
  • Fixed an issue causing zone names to incorrectly persist across games played in the same session.
  • Fixed an issue causing energy cells to show the wrong options in their dialog menus after one was loaded into a weapon.
  • Fixed a bunch of typos.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Tried this out, its great! They took the wackiness of Wasteland, mutant animals and crazy religious cults etc and dialed it up to 11. A good old school sci fi vibe, Gene Wolfe style, 'New Sun', people building civilizations on the remains of ancient technology.

I never really got into rogue likes, only Dwarf Fortress (and thats really more a management/building sim), I dont like RL combat, but the setting and world is so good in this I will give it a go.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So I got a dude through Golgotha which was scary at first, jumping down a pit with no way to get back out seems like a very bad idea in a RL... but I survived and escaped which is great! Happy times until my tongue rotted and fell out...

Now this is my first black mark against CoQ, as I cant talk to NPCs, I cant do quests and progress, my game is effectively over, so I had to look up online for the cure, which is really shitty as I was attempting to play the game blind and just experience and deal with the crazy stuff. I would have been fine with some kind of leprosy thing that reduced my stats, then I can soldier on and hope to find a cure, but the tongue rot thing seems very binary and a cheap shot to end the game.

Oh and fuck those rust plants/monsters, breaking all my awesome weapons/artifacts :( thats ok though, at least I can plan around them and mitigate the damage unlike the Glotrot.

Also I am hoping that melee scales, as I was running an axe 'techno-barabarian' style guy, but it felt like rifles and ranged were becoming massively more important to survive the mid game, I hope there is going to be 'power' melee weapons eg. Wastelands Proton Axe so you can still melee late game? Or maybe I need mutations/cybernetics to make a better melee build? Anyway I see lots of experimenting to be done.

Bocian

Arcane
Happy times until my tongue rotted and fell out...

I have once experienced some kind of weird disease that made my PC's tongue bleed whenever he tried to eat anything. So basically it was a choice between dying of starvation and dying of bleeding out.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Melee build is basically dead ever since they nerfed daggers, which were the only viable melee build because you could stack agi and get like 20 DV. Without that you're just a pincushion.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Last time I played melee was still pretty viable up until the endgame, which apparently is still going to be messed with. Short blades are now not viable as a primary weapon skill, though, yeah. Axe dismember/decapitation and sword disarm are pretty good imo. With cudgels I pretty much always make a chimera to make best use of fist of the ape god by chain-boosting strength with mass mind/ego projection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom