Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt already working on their next RPG - possibly set in Witcher universe but not Witcher 4

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by vortex, Mar 12, 2020.

1. GhostCow Dick monsters are funny Patron

GhostCow
    The magic system in the Witcher games is boring as shit and honestly I can't think of a single game mechanic in that series that I do like. Kind of sad to see them return to it when I feel like they have a lot of potential to make great games. I always told myself that I thought the Witcher games sucked because of the source material but maybe it's just cdpr

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dramart Educated

Dramart
    No, it's a mix of the words dragon and martian

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    I'm sure they hashed that out under the table with the settlement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. just Learned

just
    it's time for demarcus of zerrikania, the black panther

[​IMG]

it would be extremely based, especially if it's set in the south
    would buy

• Funny x 7
    • incline x 3
    • Despair x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Imagine the next Witcher a fantasy version of this:
    [​IMG]

It's not bad actually.

• incline incline x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Naraya Arbiter

Naraya
    That's what most likely happened. From the article:

Nawiązano również do ugody zawartej niedawno z Andrzejem Sapkowskim. Szef CD Projektu zapewnia, że w stosunkach z pisarzem „nastąpił zwrot o 180 stopni” i doszło do „scementowania” relacji - nie tylko na papierze.

He also mentioned the recent settlement with Andrzej Sapkowski. CD Projekt director ensures that relation with the writer has taken a 180 degree turn and is now more firm than ever, not only on paper.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    They've surpassed that; they're Polish Rockstar. Cyberpunk is their GTA and Witcher their Red Dead Redemption.

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. typical user Learned

typical user
    Working as having artists create concept arts, designers poking around different ideas and pre-production by people not invested with CP2077.

^ Top  
  9. norolim Cipher

norolim
    FIFY.
    Show Spoiler
    :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Show Spoiler
    :retarded:

• Button Button x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Riddler Prophet Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Key word. No more (white)women 2020.

^ Top  
  12. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    Yeah its the most obv choice but I hate the universe hopping aspect of Ciri, very anticlimactic to Witcher universe.

If its gonna be preset protag it'll be Ciri, and unless they make normal human protag its the only feasible way to play as female, sorceress-adventurer wouldn't work in this universe. Otherwise it'll be create your own witcher; they wouldn't dare make another preset witcher after Geralt.

^ Top  
  13. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    I generally dislike female protagonists and even more so mary sues like Ciri. If it will have a female protagonist, then it better be someone like Meve or I won't buy the game.

^ Top  
  14. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    If they would write Ciri as good as Geralt I wouldn't have any issue her being main protagonist. Just don't write her as Rey Palpatine.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. RangerOne Literate

RangerOne
    Netflix' Triss Merigold would be a perfect match.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    :prosper:

• hopw roewur ne x 11
    • Funny x 2
    • nice x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    Neither do I but its the easiest way to avoid twitter flak :P Either it'll be Ciri or they'll give choice somehow akin to CP77.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    So they already admit Cyberpunk will be so shit without any future they better go back to their cash cow

• [citation needed] x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The thing all three succeed at is story and atmosphere, honestly. Pretty much every other aspect is done much better in other series.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The whole reason behind that inane "announcement" was CDPR's stock dropping like a rock, losing almost 30% in a week.
    Do I have to remind you that a few years back they claimed they would release TWO games by 2020?

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    Well they were not wrong. They had Thronebreaker that was pretty much a failure and now they have Cyberpunk 2077.
    But you probably meant two AAA games. But if I remember correctly they said they want to release one AAA game and a one smaller game in between. Maybe they changed their mind later on and said something different, but don't remember anything right now.

^ Top  
  21. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    You are operating under the false assumption that it was anything more than an advertisement for Gwent in standalone format and a way to test the waters if such a RPG & card game hybrid could work. It was never meant to reach the sales of TW3 and the like.

^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Two AAA games in 5 years, along with the TW3 expansions, is way too much to expect from a studio their size. At least, AAA open world RPGs. I'm sure they meant an additional smaller game.

Their stock is going down because the Cyberpunk delay puts it into a more competitive Holiday period with new consoles coming out, and analysts love to earn their salaries by pointing shit like that out with a concerned tone. However I doubt it really matters, because the hype for the game is strong enough to withstand the delay, there's not a ton of shit flooding the market anyway, and most people won't have new consoles (plus it will run on them enhanced anyway, making it basically function also as a launch game).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    They said two "big" games and one "small". Clearly Thronebreaker was not a "big" game, otherwise I don't know what their standard for a small one would be.

Also, if anyone at the studio happens to catch Corona-chan they will have to close down for at least 2 weeks. I'm sure that won't affect the release date or the stock price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Technomancer Learned

Technomancer
    They are going to do their original vision after all this time. The prototype of the first witcher featured custom player character instead of Geralt.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Making a game where you create your own witcher and set some 100 years before the events of the books would be the creative thing to do. So they won't do that.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top