Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
No i expect an open world to be interesting and somewhat simulative. Red dead 2 is a good example but there are many good examples of a well done living open world Kenshi is another good example. Otherwise doing an open world is just a waste. Witcher 3 has nothing that can justify an open world it could had been a perfect game even if it was structured in hubs like witcher 2. The witcher3 open world is pointless because outside quest railroading is absolutely static and empty. There is much that can be done to maintain an open world lively even when completed the game leaving an open world empty and dead makes the open world pointless.

If more focus had been devoted to creating non-player-centric dynamics and events to give the impression that, for example, a war is going on in Velen it would have been a huge improvement. Squadrons of cavalry galloping down roads at top speed on their way to or from some burning village, small parties of troops fighting one another, refugees on the move, etc. Nobody paying much attention to some witcher. They obviously wanted to create that type of impression(they even named the Nilfgaardian army "Army Group Centre") but didn't spend the effort. You could even just tromp around the crones' camp, including at night and nothing would happen.

RepHope

Savant
No i expect an open world to be interesting and somewhat simulative. Red dead 2 is a good example but there are many good examples of a well done living open world Kenshi is another good example. Otherwise doing an open world is just a waste. Witcher 3 has nothing that can justify an open world it could had been a perfect game even if it was structured in hubs like witcher 2. The witcher3 open world is pointless because outside quest railroading is absolutely static and empty. There is much that can be done to maintain an open world lively even when completed the game leaving an open world empty and dead makes the open world pointless.

If more focus had been devoted to creating non-player-centric dynamics and events to give the impression that, for example, a war is going on in Velen it would have been a huge improvement. Squadrons of cavalry galloping down roads at top speed on their way to or from some burning village, small parties of troops fighting one another, refugees on the move, etc. Nobody paying much attention to some witcher. They obviously wanted to create that type of impression(they even named the Nilfgaardian army "Army Group Centre") but didn't spend the effort. You could even just tromp around the crones' camp, including at night and nothing would happen.
Yep, all valid points, but to be fair it was their first attempt at an open world. They admitted they fucked up a lot, one of their focuses on Blood and Wine was to try to make the open world feel more alive which I think they succeeded at there.

Terenty

Liturgist
"one of the worst"? That's a bit harsh.
Sure, exploration in PB games is more rewarding and interesting.

But is a beautiful and believable, skillfully crafted fantasy world, like in the Witcher 3, really among the worst?
Is it inferior to the Elder Scrolls? Sure those have more physics and items and zones, plus dungeons every second step, but is that really preferable?

IMO the Witcher 3 failed in other areas, primarily itemization and character progression. Not great combat also. Personally I found the world to be quite impressive.... and damn beautiful.

The last Bethesda game i put in a decent amount of time was Morrowind so i cant quite remember how it felt, but Witcher 3's world is too artificial and flat for lack of a better word.Like a backdrop that lacks a layer of interactivity.

I saw people claim Novigrad to be the best city in an rpg and i call bullshit on that. It feels dead to me, with random copypasted npcs roaming the streets without any purpose, repeating the same dialogues like robots etc. Is there even a schedule of some sort to any of them? I know there are soldiers in the first camp doing pushups all day and night without a break

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I would agree that Wyzima (and Witcher 1 in general) was better. Particularly on the interactivity front.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014

But is a beautiful and believable, skillfully crafted fantasy world, like in the Witcher 3, really among the worst?
Is it inferior to the Elder Scrolls? Sure those have more physics and items and zones, plus dungeons every second step, but is that really preferable?

IMO the Witcher 3 failed in other areas, primarily itemization and character progression. Not great combat also. Personally I found the world to be quite impressive.... and damn beautiful.

The last Bethesda game i put in a decent amount of time was Morrowind so i cant quite remember how it felt, but Witcher 3's world is too artificial and flat for lack of a better word.Like a backdrop that lacks a layer of interactivity.

I saw people claim Novigrad to be the best city in an rpg and i call bullshit on that. It feels dead to me, with random copypasted npcs roaming the streets without any purpose, repeating the same dialogues like robots etc. Is there even a schedule of some sort to any of them? I know there are soldiers in the first camp doing pushups all day and night without a break
That's because people are spectacularity whores. Every time I see this "OH NOEEES THE WORLDU MAPU IS SOOO SMALLU I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONU!!!111" kind of discussions I cringe. That's precisely one of the reasons why we can't have good AAA RPGs in the foreseeable future. People want everything to be grand and EPIC! so devs have to do this at the cost of interactivity. Want a smaller town/city but with more NPC interactions, interiors that you can explore, and meaningful stuff going on? Well fuck you.

There's only so much content human beings can produce with given time, money and human resources.

Old Hans

Arcane

travelling from the front gate of the city to the very top of the city is very cool and gives the illusion that the city is alive, but once you start hearing the NPCS reapeat the same 3 lines of dialog, it all starts to fall apart. it reminded me of a disney ride.

thats the big problem with the game world. nothing changes. They had a nice idea with those abandoned sites, but it felt like a half baked idea.

thesecret1

Arcane
They had a nice idea with those abandoned sites, but it felt like a half baked idea.
More like a desperate attempt to change things around. Like when you know you have a problem, but also know there's no way you can hope to fix it at this point, so you try at least do something. The DLCs heavily expanded on the idea (in fact, I'd say it was what set them appart from base game the most), so clearly, the devs knew what was wrong.

KK1001

Arbiter
travelling from the front gate of the city to the very top of the city is very cool and gives the illusion that the city is alive, but once you start hearing the NPCS reapeat the same 3 lines of dialog, it all starts to fall apart. it reminded me of a disney ride.

thats the big problem with the game world. nothing changes. They had a nice idea with those abandoned sites, but it felt like a half baked idea.

Best way to fix this is have drastic changes to the NPC dialogue (at minimum) or area design follow major events or a certain time duration. Lazy devs would rather just build out so they can go "WOAH THE MAP IS SO BIG!" but that's life

jf8350143

Liturgist
They've been awfully quiet recently for a game that was suppose to be launch in three months.

JDR13

Arcane

Not a lot changes, but it's no different from other open-world RPGs in that way. I don't see any examples of games that do it much better.

And there are some things that change based on how you handle certain events. Like if you set the Plague Maiden free or if you resurrect the spirit in the Whispering Hillock. Nothing dramatic, but it did make me feel like my actions had significance.

KK1001

Arbiter
They've been awfully quiet recently for a game that was suppose to be launch in three months.

Advertising blitz on TNT and ESPN and YouTube will probably begin in March. No sense doing any January advertising when everyone is tapped out.

Danikas

Arcane

Not a lot changes, but it's no different from other open-world RPGs in that way. I don't see any examples of games that do it much better.

And there are some things that change based on how you handle certain events. Like if you set the Plague Maiden free or if you resurrect the spirit in the Whispering Hillock. Nothing dramatic, but it did make me feel like my actions had significance.
There are many instances where you can see changes after you finish the quest for example in Blood and wine: Vivienne says she would like to travel to Novigrad and you can meet her there.

Then you can find Guillaume, if she leaves.

Or you can find them together if she decides to go out with him.

There is a lot of detail that many people miss.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
There are many instances where you can see changes after you finish the quest for example in Blood and wine: Vivienne says she would like to travel to Novigrad and you can meet her there.

I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't played Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine yet. I finished my playthrough of TW3 well before the expansions were released, and I haven't got around to replaying it yet.

Danikas

Arcane

I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't played Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine yet. I finished my playthrough of TW3 well before the expansions were released, and I haven't gotten around to replaying it yet.
Play Hearts of Stone if you dont have much time, its about 10h long and has the best quests and storyline in the whole series but Blood and Wine is awesome too and a good send off to Geralt with a lot of references to Witcher 1 and you get to spend time with Regis.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's more like GTA than an RPG in my opinion. A pretty cool world to traverse through from one mission to another, but with no greater depth. It's miles away from a hand-crafted Piranha Bytes world where exploring actually matters. It's a big reason I never got into The Witcher 3 like others did. The Witcher 2 was better in that regard, because the smaller areas allowed for more attention and focus. I'm hoping Cyberpunk is more Witcher 2 than 3, in that respect.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just admit you tards want a corridor so you don't get lost.

How the fuck can you get lost when every quest is "go this marker" and everything mildly interesting on the world map is marked as well? Even if you turn off the "interest markers" there's nothing to find but randomized loot anyway. So exciting!

Danikas

Arcane
Witcher 3 had so many cute girls. Cyberpunk so far looks like real decline in that regard.
tumblr_px7kz2s9hZ1re02cqo1_1280.jpg

Ak6Npb9.jpg

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Witcher 3 had so many cute girls. Cyberpunk so far looks like real decline in that regard.

We haven't seen any real character from the game other than Keanu and the "I'm your BFF and I'm about to die at the end of tutorial" guy.

They're likely deep in development and production sprints.

That's for the development team, the PR is handled by different people who has nothing to do with how good or finished the game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom