Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 - coming September 17th

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Azazel, Jun 10, 2018.

1. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Man, this is so true. I just fired up Witcher 3 again recently, on an 1080ti, 4K and with TSLM on. It impressed me how it still looks completely relevant and at times amazing, even without any modding of meshes and textures.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Zer0wing Liturgist

Zer0wing
    I don't get why you didn't pick up HD Reworked Project, this is a perfect match with TLSM.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I didn't in the past because of my GTX 780's 3GB of VRAM. But now that I'm running the game on a 1080ti, this is actually a great idea.

One thing that makes me cautious about HD mods is that sometimes the differences are not very noticeable, and other times you get uneven levels of detail in textures that are used on objects which are very close to each other, which makes the lack of detail actually stick out more. I don't know if you've observed such a problem in HD Reworked.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zer0wing Liturgist

Zer0wing
    Vanilla assets is the very definition of "uneven" quality. Things like wall, bushes, ground textures, et cetera got less attention that characters, clothing, weapons, buildings. Naturally for optimization purposes. I haven't noticed anything uneven in newest HD Reworked Project, though the oldest versions were, naturally, incomplete and gave this 'uneven' vibe. Textures are small in quantity and size and mixed together with shaders, they're copypasted and mixed together so they don't look so bad.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    "HD" texture mods usually look like ass. Higher resolution, but much lower artistic quality.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Danikas Prophet

Danikas

Watch and decide.

• meh x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mebrilia Arbiter

Mebrilia
    Problem of witcher 3 is that the open world is pretty static an empty once you finish the game there is no reason to come back. Ok it may look amazing with hd texture mods but that's about it

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    You maybe expected it to give you a blowjob after you finish all the content? Or maybe radiant quests would be preferable?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mebrilia Arbiter

Mebrilia
    No i expect an open world to be interesting and somewhat simulative. Red dead 2 is a good example but there are many good examples of a well done living open world Kenshi is another good example. Otherwise doing an open world is just a waste. Witcher 3 has nothing that can justify an open world it could had been a perfect game even if it was structured in hubs like witcher 2. The witcher3 open world is pointless because outside quest railroading is absolutely static and empty. There is much that can be done to maintain an open world lively even when completed the game leaving an open world empty and dead makes the open world pointless.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    Witcher 3 has one of the worst open worlds if we talk about rpgs. Its obvious for anybody who played Piranha Bytes games.

• retadred x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    "one of the worst"? That's a bit harsh.
    Sure, exploration in PB games is more rewarding and interesting.

But is a beautiful and believable, skillfully crafted fantasy world, like in the Witcher 3, really among the worst?
    Is it inferior to the Elder Scrolls? Sure those have more physics and items and zones, plus dungeons every second step, but is that really preferable?

IMO the Witcher 3 failed in other areas, primarily itemization and character progression. Not great combat also. Personally I found the world to be quite impressive.... and damn beautiful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Maybe it's me, but I never paid much attention. The only textures I'd like improved are the ones on the trees when seen from a bigger distance, they are the only thing that I can say I'm noticing as looking bad. Also, many of these lower quality textures are conscious compromise because of the video memory limitations on consoles and lower end PC videocards. Anyway, I have nothing to lose, so I'll give it a try.

^ Top  
  13. Zer0wing Liturgist

Zer0wing
    I prefer having actual random encounters, level design more akin to Gothic games and more thorough immediate seen in-game concequences for my actions as a Geralt during actual walkthrough. You know, gameplay that developers ran out of time to add and decided to fill the map with question marks. Wishes, wishes, wishes...
    No, there's no need for radiant witcher contracts but post-endgame content akin to what Fallout 2 and modded New Vegas had is preferable to nothingness.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    ^ Top  
  14. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    I used that texture pack with a 2gb 660 with medium texture settings and it still looked better than vanilla

^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    It was this video that actually dissuaded me from trying it last time I was choosing mods for a modded run, which according to nexusmods has been in 2017. Most of the examples were objects I tend not to concentrate on. However, I'll give it a try now.

^ Top  
  16. Sailor Woedica Erudite The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Rocky is like way older and like a different generation than current mumble rappers, sis. I mean he’s well known for having pretty flows in his raps:

Ignorance is so not a good lewk.

• Shit Shit x 8
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    Who cares what subgenre of talking niggas is this? It's talking niggas. Listen to some real music, dude.

• Brofist x 7
    • Edgy x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sailor Woedica Erudite The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Cringe.

• retadred x 5
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    Tricky is the real shit sis

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Hace El Oso Learned Patron

Hace El Oso
    If more focus had been devoted to creating non-player-centric dynamics and events to give the impression that, for example, a war is going on in Velen it would have been a huge improvement. Squadrons of cavalry galloping down roads at top speed on their way to or from some burning village, small parties of troops fighting one another, refugees on the move, etc. Nobody paying much attention to some witcher. They obviously wanted to create that type of impression(they even named the Nilfgaardian army "Army Group Centre") but didn't spend the effort. You could even just tromp around the crones' camp, including at night and nothing would happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RepHope Learned

RepHope
    Yep, all valid points, but to be fair it was their first attempt at an open world. They admitted they fucked up a lot, one of their focuses on Blood and Wine was to try to make the open world feel more alive which I think they succeeded at there.

^ Top  
  22. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    The last Bethesda game i put in a decent amount of time was Morrowind so i cant quite remember how it felt, but Witcher 3's world is too artificial and flat for lack of a better word.Like a backdrop that lacks a layer of interactivity.

I saw people claim Novigrad to be the best city in an rpg and i call bullshit on that. It feels dead to me, with random copypasted npcs roaming the streets without any purpose, repeating the same dialogues like robots etc. Is there even a schedule of some sort to any of them? I know there are soldiers in the first camp doing pushups all day and night without a break

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, I would agree that Wyzima (and Witcher 1 in general) was better. Particularly on the interactivity front.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    That's because people are spectacularity whores. Every time I see this "OH NOEEES THE WORLDU MAPU IS SOOO SMALLU I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONU!!!111" kind of discussions I cringe. That's precisely one of the reasons why we can't have good AAA RPGs in the foreseeable future. People want everything to be grand and EPIC! so devs have to do this at the cost of interactivity. Want a smaller town/city but with more NPC interactions, interiors that you can explore, and meaningful stuff going on? Well fuck you.

There's only so much content human beings can produce with given time, money and human resources.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    travelling from the front gate of the city to the very top of the city is very cool and gives the illusion that the city is alive, but once you start hearing the NPCS reapeat the same 3 lines of dialog, it all starts to fall apart. it reminded me of a disney ride.

thats the big problem with the game world. nothing changes. They had a nice idea with those abandoned sites, but it felt like a half baked idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top