Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dodo1610

Arcane
This is part of a longer presentation that CDP has been showing on gaming events all over the world but never uploaded it for some reason.
Which one? The one most in europe saw haven't seen the confrontation with Sasquatch and Netwatch agent presented in this deep dive thingie.

I heard the Gamescom demo was longer than this.

Harthwain

Magister
It's funny that CP2020 was way more futuristic than CP2077 is going to be... In this case I have to say CP77 presents a more realistic approach.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It's funny that CP2020 was way more futuristic than CP2077 is going to be... In this case I have to say CP77 presents a more realistic approach.
The 80s must have been weird, people had their first (useless) PCs in their living rooms and thought in 40 years we will have computers in our head. Can someone who actually live back then explain this to me?

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
The 80s must have been weird, people had their first (useless) PCs in their living rooms and thought in 40 years we will have computers in our head. Can someone who actually live back then explain this to me?
How were the PCs useless? I vividly remember playing CGA Alley Cat on mine!

Prime Junta

It'd be damn hard to explain this without ending up with a TL;DR to end all TL;DRs but I'll try.

Cyberpunk was a reaction to the mostly-utopian sci-fi that had ruled the roost before then: you know, the shit with spaceships and galactic empires and the occasional psychedelic-political-libertarian Heinlein yarn thrown in. Until then, a lot of sci-fi had been focused almost exclusively on "what kinds of new cool toys will Science give us in 20/50/100/500/10,000 years?" Cyberpunk reframed it: "What kind of psychological, social, and political changes will all these new technologies bring with them?"

In 1980 we did have the first clunky home PCs. We also had TV games and similar shit. More importantly, we started to see the first portable personal electronics. The Sony Walkman was released in 1979. The first mobile phone network went commercial the same year in Japan. Wide-area networks (WANs) were well established by then, and especially universities started to connect to each other. Dial-up bulletin board systems were pretty common. Usenet -- the first global 'social network' -- was launched in 1980.

Another significant thing was the emergence of an underground higher-tech drug culture. People were experimenting with various chemicals and coming up with innovations like crack cocaine and labs cooking up crystal meth, ecstasy and a variety of other amphetamine derivatives.

Around the same time, we had the collapse of post-war optimism with social-democratic welfare states deep in the doldrums, the USSR showing obvious signs of sclerosis, and then Reagan and Thatcher coming onto the scene trumpeting the glory of the free market: unbridling capitalism, they promised, would lead us all to a glorious, rich, and happy future.

So, the cyberpunk writers looked at all this and asked themselves: "what will society look like if all this shit continues to develop in the direction in which it seems to be going now?"

They imagined that computers would keep getting smaller and more powerful; personal electronics more personal and more powerful until eventually they merged with the humans they served; drugs would get stronger, more varied, and easier to obtain. They thought that Reagan's and Thatcher's utopia would quickly go dystopian as the rich would get unimaginably rich, the poor would fall off the train, and corporate power would eclipse and eventually take over governments and state power. And they were in some ways remarkably prescient about the effects of a global data network that penetrates everywhere: the underground hacker culture that coalesced around BBSs would go global, data would become the most precious, most highly-coveted, and most heavily protected corporate asset. Pollution would go on unchecked and lead to ecological catastrophes. Armies would fight bush wars for corporate interests in third-world shitholes.

So there you have it. The eighties were an absolute shit decade, and cyberpunk was the eighties, with everything cranked up to the max.

Last edited by a moderator:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I watched the 48 minutes gameplay. Tbh the gunplay looks great and the weapons looks unique enough. It have alot of mobility like sliding in slomo (remind me of vanquish) also homing bullets, armor piercing shotguns, etc.

Definitely still hyped for it.
Now watch the 2019 E3 trailer, to keep your hype in check.
The cinematic trailer?

It's just dumb cinematic trailer but i dont see anything that feels like anything is taken away from the gameplay unless there are some new video that i dont know that show dumbed down gameplay.

there were two trailers they showed on E3, one cinematic and another "game play", where it features bunch of shooting while the narrator tells you "i promise it's a deep rpg".

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD...dsprzedazy-Cyberpunk-2077-prezes-7699919.html

Mocnej dawki (nowych informacji o grze – PAP) należy spodziewać się na początku przyszłego roku, kiedy pojawi się preview. Wtedy dziennikarze branżowi będą już grali i pisali o tym
Witch translate to (roughly):
"a strong dose of information should be expected at beginning of next year, when preview comes out. Then journalists will be playing and writing about it.

If they didnt delay it we should see something soon.

Harthwain

Magister
In what way more futuristic ?
So new and unfamiliar that it'd look more like a sci-fi. Instead, a lot of stuff is very familiar, despite the time gape being the same (~50 years). As a result there is no real technological shock.

Zer0wing

Cipher
If they didnt delay it we should see something soon.
They didn't it seems but that does not mean we (who are not journos) will hear much, not even talking about seeing.
Jake Baldino, the reporter/reviewer from Gameranx, has played Cyberpunk 2077

Mentioned in Gameranx's latest video. No information other that he was very positive about it. I suspect he's not the only one who got to play the demo.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...789b2533cf&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=enfexb

Harthwain

Magister
They hype train will probably start rolling a month before the release, tops. You don't want to run out of steam by doing it too early.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the gunplay looks great
:nocountryforshitposters:

The gunplay in that video looked like fucking Borderlands.
And gunplay in borderlands are actually good. Great weapon variety enemy variety etc.

Borderlands weakness is the retarded 13 years old humor and all the grindy shit.

At their core borderlands are great shooter padded with shitty looty shooty mechanics

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They hype train will probably start rolling a month before the release, tops. You don't want to run out of steam by doing it too early.

To be honest big singleplayer "AAA" RPG-ish releases like this are so rare currently, it's hard not to be hyped even if the game ends up being only okay. Throw in my love for sci-fi, first-person and cyberpunk and, well...

:hype:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I saw it live if you expect an rpg think twice. Is basically a crossbreed between the new deus ex and watch dogs. It has not roleplay elements whatsoever the only rp element here is a coloured tier loot ala boredlands and some line if the background chosen match with the situation you are in. Is just a glorified open end FPS with different manners to solve missions and have different outcome. There are not even persuasion skills at all.

The dialogued choice is most of the time limited by 3 answers even worse than fallout4.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i watched the 15 minutes trailer with the voodoo gang. still don't see anything that looks like it make the game bad. gameplay looks great, varied like deux ex and hacking system similar to watch dogs.
There are not even persuasion skills at all.

fake news. i saw there are even your background put into skillchecks. so this whole thread is the usual codex edgelords REE-ing like usual.

i am more excited for the game more after seeing those videos

Yosharian

Arcane
I saw it live if you expect an rpg think twice. Is basically a crossbreed between the new deus ex and watch dogs. It has not roleplay elements whatsoever the only rp element here is a coloured tier loot ala boredlands and some line if the background chosen match with the situation you are in. Is just a glorified open end FPS with different manners to solve missions and have different outcome. There are not even persuasion skills at all.

The dialogued choice is most of the time limited by 3 answers even worse than fallout4.
It would have turn out pretty fucking trash for a comparison to Watch Dogs to be apt...

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Fake news? I seen the game live at Lucca Comix and games that was an extended version of the deep dive video minus the fight with sandsquatch that indeed looked terrible nad gaming. It is a shooter not an rpg.
67404_66_cyberpunk-2077-full-skill-tree-attributes-gear-revealed.png

That is your in depth Roleplay skill and stat system. Not a single stats not related to combat or stealth except cool that will be used just as a progression tool to unlock merchants and mission.
Add also that cd projekt stated officially that we won't have social skills that will gatekeep in checks dialogues.
The background just unlock some general lines on the current situation and that's it.

Danikas

Arcane
Fake news? I seen the game live at Lucca Comix and games that was an extended version of the deep dive video minus the fight with sandsquatch that indeed looked terrible nad gaming. It is a shooter not an rpg.

That is your in depth Roleplay skill and stat system. Not a single stats not related to combat or stealth except cool that will be used just as a progression tool to unlock merchants and mission.
Add also that cd projekt stated officially that we won't have social skills that will gatekeep in checks dialogues.
The background just unlock some general lines on the current situation and that's it.
It's more Rpg than any Witcher game and Witcher 3 is the codex goty 2015. :neveraskedforthis:

Harthwain

Magister

It's more Rpg than any Witcher game.
Is this a game of "find 8 differences"?
maxresdefault.jpg

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The difference is in The Witcher you play with a character that have a defined past and background. In cyberpunk you are supposed to play your character.

Danikas

Arcane

It's more Rpg than any Witcher game.
Is this a game of "find 8 differences"?
maxresdefault.jpg
Well stealth is never an option in Witcher 3 so that's incline already add chosen background and skills affecting dialogue, choice between ranged, close combat and hacking you have to be retarted to say its decline from Witcher.

Harthwain

Magister
The difference is in The Witcher you play with a character that have a defined past and background. In cyberpunk you are supposed to play your character.
In CP77 you're playing as "V" and have stuff like your friends defined for you, so you're not really playing your character. You can't even decide you'll play as pure meatbag, since some body modifications are mandatory for the storyline progression (probably the whole Keanu Reeves stuff).

Well stealth is never an option in Witcher 3 so that's incline already add chosen background affecting dialouge, choice between ranged, close combat and hacking you have to be retarted to say its decline from Witcher.
I consider it to be a decline from CP2020. I agree with Mebrillia about CP77 is shaping up to being more of a shooter than an RPG, even if it's an incline from TW3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom