Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

The only thing that was decent at the showcase was the stealth gameplay. BUt was only decent. Basically in the whole demo V were sneaking around and pressing button of awesome to hack things to distract the npcs.

Well Hart was cd projekt that written to us:

You will be able to create your char from the ground up.

Of course now we know it was a lie.

Danikas

Arcane
I consider it to be a decline from CP2020. I agree with Mebrillia about CP77 is shaping up to being more of a shooter than an RPG, even if it's an incline from TW3.
You think after Witcher 3 sold 20+ milion copies they are going to make isometric Rpg with full pnp ruleset and no voice acting so we can have 12 + dialogue options in conversations:happytrollboy:?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Nobody expected that Danikas. People were actually expecting a system more similiar to what we saw in Fallout New Vegas. Because in the end the progression of the pen and paper could be adapted well in that regard.

Nobody expected this crap choice to turn it in to a FPS tho.

Harthwain

Magister
Basically in the whole demo V were sneaking around and pressing button of awesome to hack things to distract the npcs.
One thing I liked was how the hacking was done: you have some space for the potential command inputs and each command requires some of that space, so you have to decide what you want and what you can fit together. It was an interesting concept, for a mini-game.
You think after Witcher 3 sold 20+ milion copies they are going to make isometric Rpg with full pnp ruleset and no voice acting so we can have 12 + dialogue options in conversations:happytrollboy:?
They could have done a lot of stuff slightly differently to better reflect the source material without going full retro.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yeah becaise they traslated the source material like this:

Solo=Terminator
Netrunner=Stealthy hacker.
Techie= Crafter.

Solo was never supposed to be a terminator but a trained individual. You can expect a Solo as a professional and in Cyberpunk2020 gun blazing lead to a quick death sentence. Instead in cyberpunk 2077 V take out an army by himself.

Danikas

Arcane
Yeah becaise they traslated the source material like this:
Mike-Pondsmith-at-Cyberpunk-2077-event-via-Twitter-1170x878.jpg

Danikas

Arcane
Instead in cyberpunk 2077 V take out an army by himself.

Can you name, say, three RPGs in the history of RPGs that didn't have the PC (with or without a party/companions) take out entire armies all by himself?
Fixed that for you, I killed whole villiage in Age of Decadence all by my lonesome, Fallout 1 genociding whole Super mutant base like a Rambo, Gothic killing everything that moves and gives exp. Fallout New Vegas where you kill whole army camps solo I can continue with more examples:troll:

Prime Junta

^
Yeah that's my point exactly, the PC wasting an army all by himself is a fixture of every RPG ever.*

*Except Disco Disco Revolution ofc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I saw it live if you expect an rpg think twice. Is basically a crossbreed between the new deus ex and watch dogs.

Don't know shit about Watch Dogs, but the more Deus Ex it is the more I'll like it. Deus Ex is right up there in my top 5 games of all time, and Human Revolution ain't far down.

Prime Junta

Don't know shit about Watch Dogs, but the more Deus Ex it is the more I'll like it. Deus Ex is right up there in my top 5 games of all time, and Human Revolution ain't far down.

HR has gameplay that's quite okay but it really fucks up the spirit of DX.

Other than that, strong agree -- my best hope is that it will, indeed, be an open-world Deus Eczowski.

THing is Cyberpunk is not supposed to be Deus Ex.

Deus Ex with small tweaks could absolutely be a Cyberpunk campaign.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Not at all. First off the thematics are completely different. Second even as mechanics on cybernetics and stuff is completely different. Check the source material.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well Deus Ex puts a lot of philosophy about if you agument yourself are you still human? It is right to power yourself with some implants? Are humans with implant less pure than other humans? On top of that you have all the corpo cospirancy thing as thematic.

In Cyberpunk nobody cares about humanity. You have implants? Better those are shiny ones and if branded by corporation they will make even make gain you prestige. How you dress is also important because it defines a lot the attitude you will have in different circusmstances. There are not pro humanists. Corporations do rule everything and there is plenty of high tech around but low life.
People may also get mentally sick because how much they shape and change their bodies. Cyberpsichosis is a thing. But people are prone to do that anyways because who has no implant is often considered to be several steps back than the normal person.
Despite of this. There is not an hero in the story. A character is a normal person that can easily die like all the normal people can do. You are just part of the world. You are just a number in a big code. You are nobody and you work to make yourself a name hopefully avoid to end in situation that will bring you in to an end.

It was also very grounded on reality. Deus Ex has many things that are way too advanced. Cyberpunk the pen and paper is grounded on reality example ((the fact your arms are cybernetic does not mean you can lift a car because most likely you would damage your muscles and your spine in the process if you want to archieve this you may have to install on yourself several implants at the cost of your humanity))

Yes humanity is a thing. An individual that will install too much implants will feel less human and he will start to act like a sociopath at the point for a minimal provocation his mind will flip and will start to kill people around that will be considered just meatbags.

Of course all those elements are not in Cyberpunk 2077 cd projekt decided to pamper the player from the effect of cyberpsichosis and even limit the number of implants you can put on yourself. On top of that the protagonist V is just your average action movie hero able to take out an army by himself.

This is very much vs the spirit of the source material.

In deus ex the protagonist is an extraordinary individual to start with. In cyberpunk a protagonist should be a nobody and end maybe to have some success.

Prime Junta

In Cyberpunk nobody cares about humanity. You have implants? Better those are shiny ones and if branded by corporation they will make even make gain you prestige. How you dress is also important because it defines a lot the attitude you will have in different circusmstances. There are not pro humanists. Corporations do rule everything and there is plenty of high tech around but low life.

Huh, it strikes me that you have completely misunderstood Cyberpunk, both the genre and the game.

Yes: Cyberpunk has all that, but it has those precisely because it asks questions about what it means to be human, how to live a decent life in an indecent world, what is the lot of the powerless in a world where power is everything.

Modron

Arcane
So does W3 but without qte fistfights and totally retarted alchemy system where you drink a potion and it expires durning a cutscene :hmmm:.
Kek what alternate routes are there in twitcha 3 unless you count getting from minimap marker to different minimap marker as a route? Sure there are a handful of quests where you can affect the end outcome but every single player's Witcher 3 experience is going to be pretty much 99.9% the same varying in of course how much of the pointless busy work they choose to endure. Witcher 3 is an asscreed game with around 10 decent quests and shittier combat. DLCs were better done all around of course.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Genre is not relevant. Cyberpunk is a game based on a Setting not a gerne. The setting is the pen and paper Cyberpunk. Many people are confused because assume Cyberpunk 2077 is based on the cyberpunk genre but is NOT the case. What is relevant for the Genre has nothing to do with Cyberpunk 2077 as is based on a different source material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

Prime Junta

Genre is not relevant. Cyberpunk is a game based on a Setting not a gerne. The setting is the pen and paper Cyberpunk. Many people are confused because assume Cyberpunk 2077 is based on the cyberpunk genre but is NOT the case.

[citation needed] on the "many people are confused" bit, I certainly am not

Here's Pondsmith on his authorial intent:

Despite its high-octane depictions of hacking, body modifications, and other cutting-edge technology, Cyberpunk is a cautionary tale about a dark, paranoid future dominated by corporations and gangs. With the slick marketing and hyperbole surrounding 2077's release, Pondsmith thinks most people will initially be hooked by the shiny weaponry and cybernetic tech before engaging with the game's deeper socio-economic and political themes.

"Sooner or later, there's that moment where you stop and look at your hands as V [the game's protagonist], and you go 'my hands have been cut off at the elbows, and they're now machines.' I think a lot of times when you want your message out there about something that's bigger than a game, you have to let them find it themselves. We just lay it out like a trap and they step on it."

Did you really never see past that surface layer?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...reinventing-cyberpunk-and-the-power-of-fandom

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Pondswith stopped to be reliable the moment that declared "I did not wanted give the cyberpunk license to make a game that is cyberpunk just in the title" and later being perfectly fine to Cyberpunk 2077 beings a FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom