Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Judging by the demo there is no much room for charaterization all you have is the freedom to chose gender and mix and match with presets to obtain a personal look with all the limitations this bring. But V is indeed very defined. Set age.Set manner to interact with the world. Just like Geralt but unlike Geralt you can chose to have a penis or a vagina.

Whatever the game won't react to & can be incompatible with the story they're telling/conflicting to what the character can do & others do/say to him/her shouldn't be a customization option to get ignored throughout the game. I'll set my protag's age to 50, even give him wrinkles and grey hair etc and people will call him kid anyway, how nice.

Tho set manner is pretty worrying, f.i. that cunt at a convent auto-convo between V & Jackie.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"V" sounds terribly impersonal, and makes me hope for more freedom in characterization coming from the player. But I'm probably wrong and the point of "V" is just that they can record male and female VO for half the price :)
Judging by the demo there is no much room for charaterization all you have is the freedom to chose gender and mix and match with presets to obtain a personal look with all the limitations this bring. But V is indeed very defined. Set age.Set manner to interact with the world. Just like Geralt but unlike Geralt you can chose to have a penis or a vagina.
I'm still rationalizing the demo as being intentionally done in blatant "barely interactive movie" style, as to impress the journos who don't want a game but a movie anyway. I can't believe the full game won't have more freedom. Heck, Hong Kong in Deus Ex had more freedom than this demo. They can't have the whole game be like this, or this will end up costing more than GTA V. Right?

I disagree, I much prefer the quality of having a somewhat fixed protagonist, in terms of character, voice work, dialogue and quest design. Having a blank slate means having bland world.

Blank characters are for customization fags. People who love to spend the first 10 hours playing with beards, hair and pimples. Despicable creatures.
What of those who want to play with blank tits and legs?

I don't know what Infinitron is citation needing-me for.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bloodsport-VanDamnBlindScream.gif~c200

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

All great words and all for a game that in the gameplay demo shown just generic shooting that has nothing to do with the source material.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I prefer "build your own" RPGs but prefab protags can be fine too as long as one goes into them with eyes open and the devs don't pretend you can be whatever you want (cf. Fallout 4).

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

People criticizing customization and made your own character in a game Based on a pen and paper rpg

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People criticizing customization and made your own character in a game Based on a pen and paper rpg
Dude, I get it, I really do. But you know, tabletop and CRPGs are never, ever, ever, ever going to be exactly the same. Pen and paper RPGs let you make characters from scratch, but those characters also have in depth personal stories. PnP has both. So say you're making a CRPG and you want it to be exactly like PnP. You want blank slate characters with in depth personal stories, but you can't have both. So which do you throw out? CDP wants to emphasize a deep story - that doesn't make it any less like PnP than it would be with generated characters with no story.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Call me old school but if i am interested in a good story alone i could always read a book. And beside you can still have a great writing and narrative even following the rules of a pen and paper rpg.. Planecape Torment. Also true they will never be the same but that is not an excuse to bastardize them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

Patron
Call me old school but if i am interested in a good story alone i could always read a book.
Huh? What does that have to do with old school gaming?

I mean, it's fine if you would always choose to throw out your least favorite part of PnP, but that doesn't make you right and them wrong.

And beside you can still have a great writing and narrative even following the rules of a pen and paper rpg.. Planecape Torment.
Um, Planescape Torment had a prefab protag, same as Geralt or Shepard (or V).

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Call me old school but if i am interested in a good story alone i could always read a book.

I mean, it's fine if you would always choose to throw out your least favorite part of PnP, but that doesn't make you right and them wrong.

And beside you can still have a great writing and narrative even following the rules of a pen and paper rpg.. Planecape Torment.

The point was another. Preset protagonist or not when you willingly chose to deliberately scrap a system totally bastardize it applying things that kill the spirit of the pen and paper the game is based from. ((like the decision to make Leveled Ennemies that have no place in cyberpunk, or reduce the gameplay in a Micheael bay edition shooter)) Then you break the spirit the pen and paper is based on. I have no problem if a character is partially predefined or not but "You will create your character from the ground up. Quote from cd projekt red" in this case is nothing more than a fat lie. V is not only defined but is too defined.

Set age.
Auto Dialogue.
And so on.

At least Nameless one provided a variety of answers during dialogues and quests you could feel the illusion to have something of yours in that character that is not the case for cyberpunk 2077 where you have like 4 lines of answers plus auto dialogue and by cd projekt claiming they don't want to gatekeep dialogues on skills.

Clearly this is a very UN-RPG approach.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Best rpg main character in modern gaming is commander shep, enjoy the games or not, as a main protagonist he was fucking awesome and engaged players up to the very shitty colored ending of the series.

In fact, mass effect is probably the rpg with character cast that I enjoyed the most, the companions were fun, every one had a personality trait that was diferent from the rest, and their little one on one moments with shep were quite well done, like shooting shit with garus while drinking some beers.

Mass effect series doesn't get enough recognition on codex.

Prime Junta

The best PnP campaigns I ran as a GM and participated in as a player, had pre-generated characters for the players to use.

I gotta riff off this.

I've had some pretty good one-shots with pre-rolled characters. However I wouldn't use them for a serious campaign. Instead, I work with my players to flesh out their characters and fit them into the story. Sometimes I have some constraints, background limitations, or requirements for the characters, but the players build their own based on that.

Some examples I've used in a variety of campaigns:

- You just got your legal diploma (with honours) from the National College, and your father used his connections to get you an appointment. The good news is that unusually for a fresh graduate, you're going to be a magistrate. The bad news is that it's a remote and lawless frontier district. Your family has an honourable pedigree but is on the edge of bankruptcy. You're the family's greatest hope of turning their fortunes around. Your salary helps but won't be enough.
- You're a loyal family retainer of [magistrate]. Your job is to keep [magistrate] safe, serve as his enforcer and advisor, and report back to his father periodically on his progress.
- You work for the Khilafah mukhabarat. Sometimes you're under cover, sometimes not. You will need cop skills, and you will need to decide how you ended up in that job and how you feel about it.
- You're an agent for the UDWC [the Communists from the Asteroid Belt]. You're deep undercover, working as a systems technician or scientist (your choice) at a research space station. Your job is to find out everything about what's going on there. If you determine that it poses an immediate threat to the UDWC, you are required to terminate it, even at the cost of your own life. You are a true believer in the Cause.
- The whole bunch of you constitute a traveling theatrical troupe. It's up to you to choose your classes, skills, roles, and what you do in the troupe, but each of you must have a function, or possibly several.

Zombra

Patron
The point was another. Preset protagonist or not when you willingly chose to deliberately scrap a system totally bastardize it applying things that kill the spirit of the pen and paper the game is based from.
If you're complaining about other things, that's fine. Don't get on my case for defending premade characters though. Your view is not more "true RPG" than mine.

"You will create your character from the ground up. Quote from cd projekt red" in this case is nothing more than a fat lie. V is not only defined but is too defined.
Perfectly valid complaint. If they promised that, they failed hard.

Clearly this is a very UN-RPG approach.
Not more than any other CRPG you can name.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
[
If you want to be pedantic, almost every RPG protagonist is technically a prefab one. The Baldur's Gate protagonist for example also has a fixed background, being an offspring of Bhaal. I assume the point being made is that the Nameless One never does or says anything that the player doesn't choose to. Even major characters like Ravel and the Transcendent One patiently wait for the player to click on them to initiate dialogue.

It's a very different approach from the likes of Geralt or Shepard, who frequently do and say things on their own without player input. The same will be true for V, if the demo they've shown is representative of the full game.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
If you want to be pedantic, almost every CRPG protagonist is technically a prefab one.
Highlighted important clarification.

And yes, when it comes to people complaining about "this is not RPG-like", I damn well do want to be pedantic. The complaint is a valid one, but it would be equally valid to complain about a CRPG with blank slate PCs but less personalized story.

I assume the point being made is that the Nameless One never does or says anything that the player doesn't choose to. Even major characters like Ravel and the Transcendent One patiently wait for the player to click on them to initiate dialogue.
Ehhh. Even with several dialogue options, being forced to choose from a list is not "true role-playing".

It's a very different approach from the likes of Geralt or Shepard, who frequently do and say things on their own without player input. The same will be true for V, if the demo they've shown is representative of the full game.
Different, but honestly neither more nor less authentic to PnP.

Quillon

Arcane
Best rpg main character in modern gaming is commander shep, enjoy the games or not, as a main protagonist he was fucking awesome and engaged players up to the very shitty colored ending of the series.

In fact, mass effect is probably the rpg with character cast that I enjoyed the most, the companions were fun, every one had a personality trait that was diferent from the rest, and their little one on one moments with shep were quite well done, like shooting shit with garus while drinking some beers.

Mass effect series doesn't get enough recognition on codex.

V looks to be more like Shep in terms of how much pre-defined he/she is than very much pre-defined Geralt/AdamJensen. Both Shep & V can be either gender, both have 3 backstories/key events(atm), customizable looks for both.

Gerrard

Arcane

And at the same time it gave you more breadth in defining your TNO's personality through dialogue than most games with full character creation.
Whereas here you will be stuck with this edgy manchild in all dialogue options.

Zombra

Patron
And at the same time it gave you more breadth in defining your TNO's personality through dialogue than most games with full character creation.
Of course it did. So what? You're still playing a green eight foot tall rastafarian mummy with limited dialogue options and a single, extremely specific backstory. The fact that it's a good story doesn't change anything. Did anyone play PST and think, "Wow, I get to create whatever character I want and make up my own dialogue, I can't tell the difference between this and tabletop"?

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
That V character really is terrible choice, no personality, boring as f. The girl from the demo has this Brooklyn voiced basic bitch vibe. Dude from trailer looks like Jersey Shore dumb white trash.
How can you believe they are some high tech mercenaries when booth of them look like kids from some shitty rap video?
They booth have this terrible teen vibe, its not dissimilar to twins from Andromeda.
Geralt had established personality from books and in games he was at least a grownup.
It would be far better if they created the world and its dynamics and let you chose a class of a character at the beginning. If its a lot of work start with 2,3 classes and add up rest through DLCs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom